Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8.1 vs Server 2012 for remoteaccess/filestorage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 8.1 vs Server 2012 for remoteaccess/filestorage

I plan on setting up a simple server for occassional remote access and file storage. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with server 2012... or would that be like trying to kill ants with a sledgehammer?

Comments

• Depends on if it's legal...

• @msg7086 said:
    Depends on if it's legal...

lets pretend everything in the world is 'legal'...

• @ronaldgrn said:
    lets pretend everything in the world is 'legal'...

Then pretty much the same...

• .... which would you go with?

• Server of course it's more optimized for servers. lol

• @ronaldgrn said:
    .... which would you go with?

My NAS is running server 2012r2 but I'm pretty sure desktop system can also do the work.

• Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 is going to be heavy for a just server use or rdp they look good not as good as windows 7

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you need it for storage and file transfers the answer is Windows 2012 CORE.

You control it with remote powershell and it will be lighter then a feather on system resources.

• You're going to get more features (and require less resources) if you use server.

• I use server 2008 r2 for my home server with hyper-v, much more stable and needs less updates/reboots than win 7/8.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@linuxthefish said:
    I use server 2008 r2 for my home server with hyper-v, much more stable and needs less updates/reboots than win 7/8.

Now thats like comparing apples and oranges. One is a server OS and the other are desktop OS with features installed that is not on the server OS.

• linuxthefish said: I use server 2008 r2 for my home server with hyper-v, much more stable and needs less updates/reboots than win 7/8.

Ironically, my Windows 2012 R2 home server has the highest uptime of all my Linux based servers. All those kernel and OpenSSL updates on Linux.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish