Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv4 VPS or IPv6 VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv4 VPS or IPv6 VPS?

Hello guys! I wanted to buy this VPS but since I'm a newbie there are some stuff I don't understand. When I try to buy it says "Attention, this is an IPv6 only server". I asked the support what are the implications of this and he replied with this: "You have a shared IPv4 (including 20 ports + a dedicated ssh port) instead of a dedicated one and 10 dedicated IPv6.".

What does this mean? What does it mean IPv4 with 20 ports? Can I run software that do not support IPv6 by using the shared IPv4 IP? How is it possible to share one IPv4 IP and at the same time to have a different IPv6?

Here is also some info from the VPS.

256MB Guaranteed RAM

15GB HDD Disk

1 CPU Core

1 NAT IPv4 (20 Ports) | 10 IPv6

TUN/TAP support

100mbs Unmetered Fair Share Port

DDoS Protected

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Shared IPV4 means access to one Public IPV4 but you can only use a PortRange like 2100-20120 for your services so not usuable for E-Mail/DNS etc.
    But you get 10 Dedicated IPv6 where you can use all Ports...

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thank you** Inifinity580**! So if I intend to use a program that supports only IPv4 and I set for it to work on the port 7500, and if this port is in the available port range, then it would theoretically work without any problem right?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

yeah, but you get problems with DNS etc..

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @Issam2204 said:
    Thank you** Inifinity580**! So if I intend to use a program that supports only IPv4 and I set for it to work on the port 7500, and if this port is in the available port range, then it would theoretically work without any problem right?

Yes.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • DNS problems? What do you mean? Thanks again both of you for replying!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If you even have to ask, then do not buy this.

Thanked by 2JahAGR Maounique
  • I know i'm a complete ignorant when it comes to networking, but this is why I want to learn. Even links to documentation is ok, I don't pretend to have a full ready to read reply. The way it was explained, if I just set the right port range I should be fine. But why should I have DNS problems then? Sorry again for all the questions :)

• @Issam2204 said:
    I know i'm a complete ignorant when it comes to networking, but this is why I want to learn. Even links to documentation is ok, I don't pretend to have a full ready to read reply. The way it was explained, if I just set the right port range I should be fine. But why should I have DNS problems then? Sorry again for all the questions :)

He just meant you can't run DNS and mail services on those servers since they don't like non-standard ports.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks everyone!

• I think the answers here pretty much cover the basics.

@Issam2204 Feel free to let us know in your ticket if you have any further questions.

• Yes and thank you very much for your ticket answers! :)

• MistahKoalaMistahKoala Member
    edited December 2014

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here - if shared IPv4 isn't suitable for mail, DNS etc, does that mean it's also not suitable for Web? I mean, it runs on port 80, so presumably this rules it out as a Web server doesn't it? What kind of things might it be suitable for instead?

• @MistahKoala said:
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in here - if shared IPv4 isn't suitable for mail, DNS etc, does that mean it's also not suitable for Web? I mean, it runs on port 80, so presumably this rules it out as a Web server doesn't it? What kind of things might it be suitable for instead?

VPNs, really lightweight gameservers, testing environments, and I do believe there's a trick around the website running on port 80.

• Just get a dedicated IP. It costs like $1-2 more monthly and will make your life much easier. These types of shared IP plans are meant for specialized instances where you have a specific application or something you want to run where ports/dedicated IPs don't matter.

• You can use them for hosting a website if you use Cloudflare. I've been playing with one and have installed Virtualmin on it. Email sends OK but will only receive from another IPV6 enabled email address (such as GMail). Did go for the 1GB memory option though. URL of my test site is http://djpool.co.uk which only has IPV6 DNS but can be viewed from an IPv4 IP.

• long story short: You seem to be a beginner -> you should get a VPS with a dedicated IPv4 adress. IPv6 is the new protocol, which is not yet supported or used a lot. IPv4 is supported and used by almost anything.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2014

If you get a NAT'd IPv4 like that and it has IPv6 you can use Cloudflares IPv6 feature to redirect any IPv4 traffic to the IPv6 IP/s works fine with LES boxes, never had an issue.

Edit, pretty sure it only works for www not sure though...