Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal when there is no quick template?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you deal when there is no quick template?

vanarpvanarp Member
edited June 2012 in Help

Some VPS providers do not have readily available templates that can be quickly installed from the control panel.

It is somewhat a pain to install using the ISO image available as it takes quite some time and a bunch of prompts to go through.

So the question is, how do you get the vps installed with your favorite distro quickly in such a scenario ?

Note: I understand installing OS is not a everyday requirement for most. It is just until you are comfortable with a satisfactory setup.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've never seen an ISO install on anything but KVM. I hear Xen-HVM can be the same, haven't used a vps under it yet. I use OpenVZ or xen pv when I want a template, and I make sure the provider has the template I want.

• I use OpenVZ or Xen PV for stuff that needs reinstalling often, but installing a KVM from ISO isn't that hard and doesn't take long if the provider has the Centos 6 minimal ISO.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

transfer entire filesystem from a remote repo?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

A quick debian netinstall is about 5 minutes on a fast host, 5 more to tweak drivers (ok, maybe 10 if you are really thorough). After that I suppose you could pull a backup you have some other place from a similar machine for your data.
    You could also image it and upload your own ISO since some providers allow it.
    That is if you want to do it fast now and deal with diffs later.
    M

• vanarpvanarp Member

@jarland said: I've never seen an ISO install on anything but KVM

I came across this scenario on KVM only.

@dmmcintyre3 said: installing a KVM from ISO isn't that hard and doesn't take long if the provider has the Centos 6 minimal ISO

I am more likely to play with debian squeeze and ubuntu precise.

@jcaleb said: transfer entire filesystem from a remote repo?

Don't you need OS setup for this? My requirement is only up to OS setup quickly so that I can play whatever way I want afterwards. I always want to start with a clean system before trying out different stuff (control panels/highly customized scripts etc.).

@Maounique said: A quick debian netinstall is about 5 minutes on a fast host, 5 more to tweak drivers (ok, maybe 10 if you are really thorough).

I totally agree that it is 10-20 mins job. Only thing bothering me is to answer those prompts every time.

@Maounique said: You could also image it and upload your own ISO since some providers allow it.

I do not know much about it. Appreciate good pointers. Aren't the kernel/drivers have to compiled for the specs of the VPS or something like that ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@vanarp said: I do not know much about it. Appreciate good pointers. Aren't the kernel/drivers have to compiled for the specs of the VPS or something like that ?

Usually, yes, in the case of same virtualization (KVM2KVM Xen2Xen) no, they should work, unless you have some custom setup, like 2 drives or nics, but even so, it is easily adjustable. Can also convert the image with free tools, if necessary, but will be a bit harder on the drivers part.
    If you ask nicely, I think the host will export you the vm, or even allow access so you can do it, I suppose. Never asked for this and I dont have any KVM/Xen atm, but it is certainly in their power if they want to. In my homelab and at work it is fast and easy, especially Xen since I have a LOT more experience with that.
    M