Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very lightweight HTTP(S) and SOCKS proxy server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very lightweight HTTP(S) and SOCKS proxy server

DevilDevil Member

I will be using it on my BuyVM VPS (128MB memory), along with OpenVPN and OwnCloud, so I need something lightweight.

I've heard good things about Dante but I am not sure how lightweight it is. I've used Squid in the past but doesn't support SOCKS and I need both the kinds.

Please link some tutorials if one is known to work well and is less complex (I'll be installing it on Ubuntu 14.04). Basically I would be happier if I could get sth _sudo apt-get install_ish.

Comments

• If you need the socks proxy only for yourself, you can use ssh:

ssh -n -N -D 1080 user@remotehost

Then configure your browser/program to use localhost:1080 as a proxy.

• @gehaxelt said:
    If you need the socks proxy only for yourself, you can use ssh:

ssh -n -N -D 1080 user@remotehost

Then configure your browser/program to use localhost:1080 as a proxy.

Yay! Open proxies! Firing up my nmap as we speak.

• @Blanoz said:
    Yay! Open proxies! Firing up my nmap as we speak.

SSH binds them to localhost. Hf scanning :D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Shadowsocks seems to be pretty popular.

• Jar said: Shadowsocks seems to be pretty popular.

It seems it doesn't support HTTP(S) proxy. Some of the apps I will be using it in needs HTTP proxy.

• gehaxelt said: ssh -n -N -D 1080 user@remotehost

I have heard it's very insecure. What do you say about that? (BTW I am looking for a proper proxy server so that I can use it anywhere - office, home, my phone etc)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• KomplanarKomplanar Member
    edited August 2014

Devil said: I have heard it's very insecure. What do you say about that? (BTW I am looking for a proper proxy server so that I can use it anywhere - office, home, my phone etc)

I've heard it's very secure. SSH rulez. :P

I don't know why this sould be "very insecure", every request to port 1080 will be encrypted, signed and tunneled by SSH.

edited August 2014

@Devil said:
    It seems it doesn't support HTTP(S) proxy. Some of the apps I will be using it in needs HTTP proxy.

Maybe I'm confused. What are you looking to proxy? It passes http. Proxying https is usually an entirely different beast. I think you may be looking for a VPN.

• It can be insecure if your dns requests do not go through the socks proxy.

• tinyproxy is very lightweight, it's commonly available in distro repositories, and it can do both http and https (using the CONNECT method, so the proxy merely passes packets around and everything is still encrypted end-to-end). But you don't want an open proxy on your server, so you should probably tweak the configuration a bit so that it only accepts connections from your own IP.

• 3proxy, easily configurable and reliable. It doesn't support IPv6 but the owner intends to implement that in a future version.

Easy to bind specific IPs to specific ports and whitelisting client IPs.

I have a bash script that installs it on new VPS.

• Slightly offtopic: I've always wondered if you can do HTTP proxy over HTTP proxy. Is that possible?

• yes

@0xdragon said:
    Slightly offtopic: I've always wondered if you can do HTTP proxy over HTTP proxy. Is that possible?

Yo I heard you like proxies so put your proxy behind a proxy.

• @0xdragon said:
    Slightly offtopic: I've always wondered if you can do HTTP proxy over HTTP proxy. Is that possible?

I think that this is called a Proxy Chain.

• @Mark_R said:
    I think that this is called a Proxy Chain.

It is called a proxy chain (not to be confused with a daisy chain).

• DevilDevil Member
    edited August 2014

Jar said: Maybe I'm confused. What are you looking to proxy?

No, I've 5 OpenVPN configs in my Tunnelblick so VPN is definitely not what I am looking for. I am looking for proxy for some of the apps (mostly communication apps - irc, IM, an email client etc) so that that app will connect via some other address than my PC's/ISP's IP and rest of my PC will function as on my home/ISP IP. Because I do not want to use VPN in that broad manner - for the entire machine 24x6 - because of slower speeds. The problem is some of these apps need the proxy server to be HTTP(S) and some needs SOCKS server. That is why I am looking for both.

Thanks.

• DevilDevil Member
    edited August 2014

kijin said: But you don't want an open proxy on your server, so you should probably tweak the configuration a bit so that it only accepts connections from your own IP.

You want to say that the proxy can be used by others too? If that's the case then I was using Squid with user/pwd so that worked fine. I may not be able to bind it to my IP as I will need it from other places too. (there are some apps I don't want to access from my ISP IP or maybe my friends').

BTW I think Tinyproxy doesn't support SOCKS, does it?

Thanks.

• ricardo said: 3proxy

You mean this - https://github.com/z3APA3A/3proxy?

Looks like it supports both HTTP(S) and SOCKS. Will try.

I have a bash script that installs it on new VPS.

Mine have OpenVPN and OwnCloud setup so let me know if I can use it on top of that. Or I'll look for sth that supports already setup VPS.

Thanks.

• palme34palme34 Member

Do you have an updated list? Which is the most used?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2017

@palme34 said:
    Do you have an updated list? Which is the most used?

First, you bump a bunch of threads, open your own spammy thread, then proceed to BUMP ANOTHER THREAD.

Flagged. @Amitz would ban you, but he's no longer a mod. :(