Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of my projects: HomepageMe - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One of my projects: HomepageMe

2»

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

@vahe said: Well, at the time of making, the only browser with a similar feature was Opera.

Firefox and Chrome have had speed-dial extensions for years.

• vahevahe Member

@subigo said: Firefox and Chrome have had speed-dial extensions for years.

A website has many advantages over an extension.
    The extensions are available only on the computers you've installed. You cannot access from anywhere else really. I don't think any of the extensions support keyboard shortcuts. HomepageMe, by default, automatically gets the logo of the website(much easier to recognize), instead of the screenshot. etc. etc.

• subigosubigo Member

@vahe said: A website has many advantages over an extension.

The extensions are available only on the computers you've installed. You cannot access from anywhere else really. I don't think any of the extensions support keyboard shortcuts. HomepageMe, by default, automatically gets the logo of the website(much easier to recognize), instead of the screenshot. etc. etc.

Not to knock your site at all, in fact, I sent it to my mom who only uses Internet Explorer...

But I would imagine most people (like me) use Chrome Sync and have the same browser/plugins/bookmarks/etc everywhere they go. And most people use Speed Dial 2 (http://speeddial2.com), which not only has all of those features, but they also have a website where you can log in and get the same setup anywhere (http://speeddial2.com/login).

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo who cares if it's already been done before, most concepts have in some shape or form. You think facebook is original? Lol hardly, but that doesn't stop them from having a billion users...if people find the ops site useful, let them, and stop being jelly.

• subigosubigo Member

@taipres said: @subigo who cares if it's already been done before, most concepts have in some shape or form. You think facebook is original? Lol hardly, but that doesn't stop them from having a billion users...if people find the ops site useful, let them, and stop being jelly.

I'm letting the guy know what the alternatives are, since he didn't seem to know.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@vahe said: I'm not sure what you mean by passphrase authentication :/

A PassPhrase is a simple text string (say a bunch of words meaningful to that user) that can be used to identify a user. It probably is not meant for super sensitive content authentication but here I think will help your website. Let me show you an example. Go to end of below webpage and check out Save Settings / Load Settings. Hope it makes it clear for you. In fact it is on this page I learned about Pass Phrase :)

http://duckduckgo.com/settings.html

One more suggestion if you don't mind ;)

You can also offer a switch between simple listing (may be use favicons with trimmed page title) and thumbnail listing that you already made.

Simple list will help people when they have too many bookmarks on their homepage. One example of this kind is v9.com that I have been hoping to mimic for ages but procrastination doesn't let me go do it ;-)

• @ vanarp said: I humbly disagree. It is innovative with ability to launch fav sites with a single key stroke. Also, not all browsers have such good functionality without plugins.

I'm sorry I just my thought :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Works and looks great now :D