Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best infrastructure for you for a fast loading website? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best infrastructure for you for a fast loading website?

2»

Comments

• cloudflare does not mean 100% uptime and they don't have 100% uptime guaranty. For whatever reason one of their location got attacked, you won't be able to access your website. When I was with them I got more downtime from cloudflare than my own vps ... Fact is, lowendtalk sometimes you will see 502 or 503 errors from cloudflare ...

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited August 2014

namhuy is right. It usually only creates downtime if you don't know how to cook it.

Btw, namhuy, do you know that your username in Russian will be something like "we dick" or "dick us".

• Profforg said: Btw, namhuy, do you know that your username in Russian will be something like "we dick".

lol really ? good to know though

• Thanks guys, I'll probably use a simple setup with nginx + Varnish + PHP Accelerator and some wordpress caching plugin.

• @ElliotJ said:
    You can easily and very cheaply make your WordPress fly, just choose a decent VPS provider and jimmy rig a CDN by using CloudFlare on a subdomain that only serves static files.
    Throw all of your static files onto there, including your WordPress theme's CSS/JS. It might take a little time to modify your theme to make this work, but it's totally worth it.

Don't load too many plugins. Try and keep it below 5 if you can.

Cache everything you possibly can. I personally loved using this method with redis due to it's drop and go simplicity.

If you have any questions with scaling WordPress though, let me know :)

Tried it with wordpress and the scripts provided on jimwestergrenns website, seems very fast. However depending on what the user clicks old cached versions just stay in place and he needs to manually refresh?

• Admiral_Awesome said: Tried it with wordpress and the scripts provided on jimwestergrenns website, seems very fast. However depending on what the user clicks old cached versions just stay in place and he needs to manually refresh?

Just do a hard f5 refresh, that should renew the cache for that page :)

That said, caches typically work best for content that doesn't change too frequently, so if you're still in the development stage of your site a cache might be a little irritating.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • @ElliotJ said:
    That said, caches typically work best for content that doesn't change too frequently, so if you're still in the development stage of your site a cache might be a little irritating.

Yeah i noticed that i suppose that is the price you have to pay for better performance. Do other caching solutions have a way of checking if changes were made? I suppose what i am asking is if there are more intelligent solutions out there which already work in a more reactive way?

• @namhuy said:
    cloudflare does not mean 100% uptime and they don't have 100% uptime guaranty. For whatever reason one of their location got attacked, you won't be able to access your website. When I was with them I got more downtime from cloudflare than my own vps ... Fact is, lowendtalk sometimes you will see 502 or 503 errors from cloudflare ...

I'm pretty sure thats why when one of their locations gets attacked it directs legitimate traffic through its nearest location... Never had a 502 or 503 error from Cloudflare on any of my sites, seen as I've use it a good 2-3years I can't see any reason not to, in fact it's saved my bacon from trigger happy children with booters a fair few times.

• subrosasubrosa Member
    edited August 2014

Look into Varnish, and don't bother with CloudFlare. It's not so significant.

Even for a 'highly dynamic' wordpress site, your content will be very static. Cache as much as you can.

• Okay guys,
    So I am on VPSDime's 6GB plan.
    Pingdom* speed test: > "Website slower then 70% of the websites tested"

To test out a new setup, I installed ubuntu on my online.net's 1.99 server, installed nginx + php-fpm
    Pingdom result: > "Website faster then 35% of the websites tested"

Installed Varnish
    Pingdom result: > "Website faster then 70% of the websites tested"

Much better then I expected it'd be. I did not install a caching plugin as wp-admin wasn't working as expected, perhaps due to some db issue I didn't bother about much as it was a test site.

Next thing I did was install a caching plugin on VPSDime's VPS,

Pingdom result: > "Website is faster then 75% of the websites tested"

Concludes, its just caching which does all the wonders.

So that's the setup I'd be going ahead with, Nginx + PHP-fpm + Varnish + wp super cache.

Expecting over 80% atleast.

*I know pingdom isn't the best source for a comparison in speed but it was the fastest way for me to test.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited August 2014

Admiral_Awesome said: Yeah i noticed that i suppose that is the price you have to pay for better performance. Do other caching solutions have a way of checking if changes were made? I suppose what i am asking is if there are more intelligent solutions out there which already work in a more reactive way?

To be honest, I haven't had a look at other cache systems for a while, however the lack of automatic cache refreshes wasn't a problem in my use case.

I used to operate a fairly active wordpress multisite network, so a lot of content was constantly being created, however once the content was pushed the individual blogs were mostly static. Thus, the requirement to hit F5 wasn't too awkward.
    If, however, there was a large social element to it with an active commenting section, I would entirely agree that the redis cache would be inappropriate.

That said, it might not be too difficult to automate it; just find a way to programatically refresh the post once a change has been made to it.

Redis worked for me, try a few methods out and see which works best for you :)

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • HyperSpeed said: I'm pretty sure thats why when one of their locations gets attacked it directs legitimate traffic through its nearest location... Never had a 502 or 503 error from Cloudflare on any of my sites, seen as I've use it a good 2-3years I can't see any reason not to, in fact it's saved my bacon from trigger happy children with booters a fair few times.

you must be very lucky. Few months back their LA nodes were down for several hours --> 502/503 errors for my website for the same among of time w/o redirect traffic or what so ever. That isn't the only time cloudflare make my website inaccessible. Well it's good to hear cloudflare works for you though.

• nginx + LiteSpeed + SSD

Then I use W3 Total Cache + CloudFlare + MaxCDN

My website loads in 373ms according to Pingdom. GTMetrix has my page speed at 572ms.

• I recommend debain with EHCP . Its works really great. I have test with one of high traffic site.

• @Sylmae said:
    nginx + LiteSpeed + SSD

My website loads in 373ms according to Pingdom. GTMetrix has my page speed at 572ms.

Why would you put NGINX in front of LiteSpeed?

(Just wondering...)

m

• nginx + php5-fpm + php5-xcache + MySQL 5.5, but my websites are mostly dynamic, so varnish wouldn't improve much.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

MariaDB on SSD, Varnish in front of Apache, W3TC with MaxCDN.

• What's the URL for your website?

@Sylmae said:
    nginx + LiteSpeed + SSD