Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the options with an IPV6 vps ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the options with an IPV6 vps ?

obakfahadobakfahad Member
edited August 2014 in General

I have been seeing many providers post offering ipv6 only vps/mini vps. They are extremely cheap. But :

1. What things can i do with those ? What are the options ? ....

2. If one don't have ipv6 in his network what can he do ?....

I have used lowendspirits IPV6+NAT IPV4 vps. They are usable as they offer NAT IPV4 and any small website including Ghost blog by reverse proxy they offer is cool. But never used ipv6 only.

Comments

• You can get a ovh vps (starting at $2.99 a month and has 1 ipv4 and 1 ipv6) which can eat ddos attacks, then use one or more ipv6-only vps(connecting to the ovh vps) for the web server, database, ftp etc...

Ipv6 vps can also be used for learning or testing on the CHEAP.

but to have a lonely ipv6 vps as a standalone website is no fun :-P

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2014

said: What things can i do with those ? What are the options ? ....

I think the most popular practical use would be an IRC Bouncer (it's kind of a proxy for IRC, which also stays connected when you go offline, and later allows you to read stuff that happened while you weren't connected). By now perhaps all major IRC networks support IPv6.

said: If one don't have ipv6 in his network what can he do ?....

You can set up a free IPv6 tunnel, for example from http://tunnelbroker.net/

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well rather than use LES's HAProxy setup you can just have clodflare do the IPv6/4 translation so you can still host what ever you want site wise and have it reachable over IPv4 via CF.

Aside from that though, you can only be reached over IPv6 (I feel I did not need to say that) :p

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well rather than use LES's HAProxy setup you can just have cloudflare do the IPv6/4 translation so you can still host what ever you want site wise and have it reachable over IPv4 via CF.

That sounds cool !!! Thanks for reminding that !

@AnthonySmith said:
    Aside from that though, you can only be reached over IPv6 (I feel I did not need to say that) :p

:P

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    clodflare do the IPv6/4 translation

Seems to be common for the IPv6/v4NAT packages on our server(s) to use it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • @AnthonySmith why don't you setup sniproxy alongside haproxy to handle HTTPS traffic? It is really simple to install, and configuration is basically identical to haproxy. I think it will make LES much more appealing, especially now that Google is giving extra ranking for SSL.
    It won't cover all use cases (like Windows XP or Xbox connecting to it) but for many users it will be "good enough" solution.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

elwebmaster said: sniproxy alongside haproxy to handle HTTPS traffic

It is on the list, but it is a long list :)

• HTTPS will be a good idea .... Keep it in TO-Do mind please :) ... @AnthonySmith

• All my backup VPS's are IPv6 only, stop wasting IPv4's everyone!

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well rather than use LES's HAProxy setup you can just have clodflare do the IPv6/4 translation so you can still host what ever you want site wise and have it reachable over IPv4 via CF.

You're just lazy are you? :p

• @obakfahad said:

Assuming your other boxes have ipv6 connectivity:

• DB backend or even a DB cluster, powering your website(s) or other apps;

• webserver behind a reverse proxy (CF or private proxy);

• uptime monitoring server;

• storage or backup servers;

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @aglodek said:
    DB backend or even a DB cluster, powering your website(s) or other apps;

Can you share any reference about this topic ? I mean any blog post ... ?

• @obakfahad said: Can you share any reference about this topic ? I mean any blog post ... ?

1. Late last year, I set up a Percona+Galera DB cluster following their online manual at www.percona.com. Since then, the good people here on LET suggested that MariaDB+Galera is a better combination (see relevant thread for more details). I tested this setup on 3x 2GB KVM's with SSD. My plan was to use this setup as a HA backend for a cluster of Drupal/Drush webservers under Aegir plus a phpList server for newsletters. Regretfully, I did not pursue this further due to other urgent topics in need of my attention.

2. I have not set up any additional security for connectivity between the 3 DB servers themselves and between the DB backend and webservers. I came across a tutorial about securing remote MySQL connections somewhere - I would have to check my notes where... DigitalOcean tutorials maybe?

3. The 3 KVM's had IPv4's assigned to them. I have not tested this setup over IPv6, however, assuming all servers have native IPv6 connectivity, there should be no problem getting them to connect and "talk" to each other over IPv6.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @ aglodek , Thanks for the information. I will look forward to that clustering with ipv6..... :)