Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL certificate
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL certificate

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Hi friends,

I have not played much with SSL certs, however, I am going to buy SSL 123 cert from thwate for a client and he wants to use that site with IP only for some internal use and domain for clients.. so when I purchase and install that SSL cert, will that also work if site is being accessed with IP only ?

Comments

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited August 2014

SSL certs are bound to a"Common Name" ususally a FQDN, however some certs allow CN to be a public IP (You might have to show proof of ownership of IP) . However it is rare and you should rethink your architecture plan to warrant such a thing.

Globalsign offers this : https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1216536-securing-a-public-ip-address---ssl-certificates

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • No, ssl cert is usually bound to domain name(or wildcard domain). This is the reason why ssl cert can make sure that the server you arrive is the one you want. Your browser just compares the domain you entered to the domain in the cert. If you access from IP, your browser is not able to check the domain.

• AFAIK, GlobalSign will allow you to get a cert that is bound to an IP, if you need it.

• I don't think any SSL company would allow that to happen. You will be required to prove that own that IP or the server.

• wychwych Member

@cloudcandy said:
    I don't think any SSL company would allow that to happen. You will be required to prove that own that IP or the server.

So SWIP the IP to your billing details?