Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard drive

DanielMDanielM Member
edited June 2012 in General

Since no one on facebook is replying :( maybe you guys could help

Basicaly i was running a hard drive check and it resulted with worrying results.

http://screencap.net/f/a417a0c3.png

Should i change hard drive?? Or is it ok?

Comments

• If you've got any important data on it, back it up regularly to be safe.

Some people will discard a drive if there's even one or two reallocations. Always better safe than sorry.

• @ihatetonyy said: Some people will discard a drive if there's even one or two reallocations. Always better safe than sorry.

So whats the chances of it failing soon? or is it nowt to be worried about?

• @Jack said: What's that program called?

Acronis Drive Monitor. But i get same results with hd tune.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • Yep, it's going. I would back stuff up very regularly.

• @DanielM said: So whats the chances of it failing soon? or is it nowt to be worried about?

Keep an eye on it. If the number continues to rise, it's probably on its way out.

• JacobJacob Member

Boot GParted and check the drive health, Sector errors so your basicly currently using the last of the hard drives life.

It's not a big failure though would be best to backup your data before its to late.

• @Jacob said: It's not a big failure though would be best to backup your data before its to late.

I do weekly backups with acronis.

its quite worrying the hard drive is only 2 months old lmao

• CoreyCorey Member

Send it in for warranty if you can.

• @Corey said: Send it in for warranty if you can.

The effort of posting it .... etc lol

• download speedfan then view its free online report it'll generate for your smart info.

• CoreyCorey Member

@DanielM the effort is worth it when you only have to pay like $5 to send it priority mail.

• if you wanna backup files get a free dropbox and google drive account, combined you'll have like 7 gigs of space I think. I recommend you archive files password with file names encrypted. That and buy a backup vps from one of these fine gents.

• @Corey said: @DanielM the effort is worth it when you only have to pay like $5 to send it priority mail.

I live in the UK remember.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@DanielM said: I live in the UK remember.

>

With the stamp prices going up its not even worth it :P

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • JacobJacob Member
    edited June 2012

@DanielM It costs about £2.00 to send a small box which fits a HD via Royalmail.

I find seagate warranty quick and easy, Not sure about toshiba.

• Thanks for the program, it's very nice for disk monitoring. Apparently my hard drive is a Western Digital and not a Seagate.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

I have pretty old drives I still use and frequent power failures.
    This means they get some bad sectors but they do not usually spread. I have been using drives with bad sectors many years on some even the OS, but I take care not to be critical machines.
    The bad sectors can spread, but the really worrying thing is the click of death. At times a drive gets that, repeated clicks (actually pretty loud) and then they stop working.
    After cooling down can work enough to retrieve data, at times even making clones. About just under half dont, tho, but I found out the clicking and bad sectors are not related, at least not enough to see a pattern, I dont recall any bad sector drive which finally died because of clicking.
    The clicks are probably because of overheating which decalibrates stuff inside, bad sectors in my case are probably related to damaged areas due to power failures.
    Worth note that newer drives do not seem to develop bad sectors that often, but fail with clicking. Maybe better protected against power failures.

M