Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the NSA Built Its Own Google Search!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How the NSA Built Its Own Google Search!

The National Security Agency is secretly providing data to nearly two dozen U.S. government agencies with a “Google-like” search engine built to share more than 850 billion records about phone calls, emails, cellphone locations, and internet chats, according to classified documents obtained by The Intercept.

The documents provide the first definitive evidence that the NSA has for years made massive amounts of surveillance data directly accessible to domestic law enforcement agencies. Planning documents for ICREACH, as the search engine is called, cite the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Administration as key participants.

ICREACH contains information on the private communications of foreigners and, it appears, millions of records on American citizens who have not been accused of any wrongdoing. Details about its existence are contained in the archive of materials provided to The Intercept by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Read more!

Comments

• The NSA has pictures of my d*ck when I was a kid. Probably they shared those pictures to the whitehouse people. I couldn't sue them because the 44th President said NO. F**K.

• Chuck said: I couldn't sue them because the 44th President said NO

Stop complaining and introduce a bill.

• ztecztec Member

So CSI is real now.

Thanked by 1orak
  • Nothing new then.

• I find it hilarious that people actually think their own government isn't doing this as well haha. All countries spy (domestically and foreign) no matter if its the US, UK, Any NATO country, China, Russia, Cuba, Argentina, or whatever-a-stan. Your internet privacy will never be safe just like talking on the phone hasn't been safe since it was created.

• OnraHost said: I find it hilarious that people actually think their own government isn't doing this as well haha. All countries spy (domestically and foreign) no matter if its the US, UK, Any NATO country, China, Russia, Cuba, Argentina, or whatever-a-stan. Your internet privacy will never be safe just like talking on the phone hasn't been safe since it was created.

Who doesn't think that? It is collaboration with the US government that makes large scale spying possible in friendly countries though.

Just because others do it doesn't make it right either. We, the common people, are the only reason that systems like that are propped up and exist in the first place. They should bow to us, not the other way round...

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Who doesn't think that?

OMG you would be so surprised if you think that lol....I have arguments with people all the time over this. They think US/NATO/UN are the ONLY ones and everywhere else is safe.

And that was kind of my point..it's not just "friendly" countries. Even the governments that hate the US the most are 120% doing their very own spying through every resource it possibly can including the internet.

I also never said it was right, but it is something we will have to accept. You can introduce as many bills as you like, but it's still going to happen. It's like wire taps...theres a million laws governing it, but illegal taps are done on a daily basis to gain information (in any country). It's never used in court so no one knows, but it did happen. It's a sad truth, but we don't live in 1850 anymore.

• OnraHost said: OMG you would be so surprised if you think that lol....I have arguments with people all the time over this. They think US/NATO/UN are the ONLY ones and everywhere else is safe.

Name a Western nation that hasn't had something in their local news in the wake of the NSA leaks.

OnraHost said: And that was kind of my point..it's not just "friendly" countries. Even the governments that hate the US the most are 120% doing their very own spying through every resource it possibly can including the internet.

Yes and no, spying doesn't come cheap. The NSA can't even begin to touch 1% of everything they collect. Collection and storage is the cheapest and easier part of the equation and it certainly eats up almost all of their budget. There is no way in hell that that data gets indexed or properly processed and mix-matched in real time. Even if you miss 1% of all communications to a backlog imagine how much data that is over years.

The thing is we're all being spied on to a degree, 'friendly' nations mores as they seem to be more economically balanced and and have collusion with much more powerful nations who have a vested interest in spying (becoming a world power).

Also don't be under any illusions you weren't spied on before telecommunications. Your groups would be infiltrated by insiders, your mail opened... it's always happened.

It's not just the US and their friends either. China has been known to poison firmware to make easy sabotage or spying opportunities, no doubt others vying for king of the world like Russia have made some roads too.

The thing is, unless you're an enemy of the state and your stream is specifically watched, it's unlikely they know anything about you. They may trawl websites looking for keywords to flag you up but even that is too much for one computer to sort through. Plus for every bit of data that a computer sorts, it has to be verified by a human. It's an impossible task.

So far all the big digital spying efforts have done is piss people off. They haven't stopped crime, dissidents still exist and people still openly break the law online. It's not just a huge violation of privacy it's also a massive waste of the money you, I, my parents and everyone else have worked hard to earn.

• wychwych Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    So far all the big digital spying efforts have done is piss people off. They haven't stopped crime, dissidents still exist and people still openly break the law online. It's not just a huge violation of privacy it's also a massive waste of the money you, I, my parents and everyone else have worked hard to earn.

Near enough my thoughts on it...

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • You know, I'm kind of curious as to what data they have on me. I don't overly do much, but none the less, it'd be weird to see.

But on another note, I wonder if this will ever get leaked...? If it did, what would happen? Someone could have access to everything you've done since the day you were born.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AThomasHowe said: Also don't be under any illusions you weren't spied on before telecommunications. Your groups would be infiltrated by insiders, your mail opened... it's always happened.

1. I never said spies weren't around before then. Spies have existed since the begging of time. I was simply making the point that everything is done over telecommunications now and it's virtually impossible to get around that. For example even meeting in person now isn't fool proof since you could easily be tracked...be it by phone, credit card, gas station surveillance, red light camera, whatever it may be.

2. I'm not arguing the data is or isn't used. I have no clue and neither do you...

AThomasHowe said: Name a Western nation

1. I am talking about NON-Western nations...everybody knows about the US and it's friends. It's the non-US-linked countries people think are "safe" in terms of their data.
  • OnraHost said: I'm not arguing the data is or isn't used. I have no clue and neither do you...

Yes I do. You're a web host, you know the amount of data the NSA must be harvesting in the US alone. Where are they getting and storing all the computational power to index and make a proper analysis of the data? And where are they housing the people to make sure the machines don't fuck up? On June 3, 1980, a glitch in a 46 cent computer chip nearly started a global thermonuclear war and nuked us all back to the stone age. For any of this data to be at all reliable it has to be human verified.

OnraHost said: I am talking about NON-Western nations...everybody knows about the US and it's friends. It's the non-US-linked countries people think are "safe" in terms of their data.

There is some spying yeah, especially at the ISP level. Again though, all that equipment doesn't come cheap and neither does the know how, the training and the operation of it. I don't doubt there is spying in ass-backwards-nowhere-stab (not meant to reference a particular country) but they're probably more likely to try and control you through the traditional methods of threats, intimidation and violence.

Why do you think so many countries shut off the internet during their recent revolutions? Politicians in say Syria can't really reach out to Facebook if they need to track someone who encrypts their web traffic whereas in the US or another nation who is close to them are able to pursue them through legal threats.

Again, people don't doubt their being spied on, even in places with much less developed infrastructures for things like the internet. Look at the news. People all around the world are sick of being shit on and having their privacy and lives invaded. It's not just some enlightened few that can see it.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    So far all the big digital spying efforts have done is piss people off. They haven't stopped crime, dissidents still exist and people still openly break the law online.

Those generally are not the main goals of digital spying. Most of the "successes" won't be known unless someone decides to Snowden them.

• Microlinux said: Those generally are not the main goals of digital spying. Most of the "successes" won't be known unless someone decides to Snowden them.

Osama Bin Laden's assassination is probably one of the highest profile security and intelligence operations in modern history. 3 years on there is now countless information available to the public about how it went down and what they found out about the inner workings of Al Qaeda. They would be bragging about it to the high heavens if they'd caught one, five or ten terrorists using the massive spying machine they've built. 0 have been attributed to it thus far.

In fact, people like the Boston Bombers were on the radar for a very long time prior to the event... their activities were documented and suspicions raised about terrorist training they'd undertaken abroad. They even questioned them and later released them. It doesn't stop terrorists.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    0 have been attributed to it thus far.

@Microlinux said:
    Most of the "successes" won't be known unless someone decides to Snowden them.

I think you're missing my point.

@AThomasHowe said: hey would be bragging about it to the high heavens if they'd caught one, five or ten terrorists using the massive spying machine they've built.

No, they generally don't brag about it. "Catching" terrorists is rarely the game of the day.

• AThomasHowe said: 0 have been attributed to it thus far.

Well I don't know how you argue that point as a fact...its pure opinion. You actually have no clue...but if you want to be technical theres at least 2 "terrorist" deaths a month from drone strike. I think that's pretty much gloating something in their "spy" network is working.

And again everything we both say is pure speculation...none of truly know. Though I can say I'm pretty much 100% sure you can attribute at least "1" case to it.

• I guess this means they will be sifting through hundreds of pages of SEO tips before they actually find what they're looking for :)