Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

proxmox | open nebula | cloudstack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

proxmox | open nebula | cloudstack

Which one of these would be ideal for vps provisioning ?? since I'm at a budget peak atm with WHMCS SERVER and SolusVM

Comments

• Why new account? http://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/86508/clouds4india

Also, try them and see for yourself. Every product has its advantages and disadvantages. You are the only one who can judge.

• @serverian said:
    Why new account? http://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/86508/clouds4india

Also, try them and see for yourself. Every product has its advantages and disadvantages. You are the only one who can judge.

1. asked for username change but didnt get it , had no choice but to make another
  • GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

@VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    1. asked for username change but didnt get it , had no choice but to make another

Not sure if that's against the rules or not here. @mpkossen

@VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    Which one of these would be ideal for vps provisioning ?? since I'm at a budget peak atm with WHMCS SERVER and SolusVM

• SolusVM is... bad. That one's pretty obvious.

• Proxmox is... stable. From our experience, it is incredibly stable, but can be complex at times with the various renamed commands and interfaces. It doesn't follow the standards.

• CloudStack is... complex. It's very complex. This and OpenStack are both up there in the "too complex to use" level, where you literally need an onsite engineer just to keep the thing running.

• OpenNebula is... extendable. OpenNebula by itself is lacking in a lot of features that people are used to out of a "VPS Panel"; and as such, you generally need to extend it yourself. Push your extensions back to the public github and become a contributor; it's not bad at all. We use OpenNebula, and love it.

Seriously but, you need to try them and see what works for you. As @Serverian said.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2014

SolusVM is... bad. That one's pretty obvious.

I disagree. Consistent in performing it's job and active development. Sure it gets boring and we all wish it had this or that, but find me a product that always pleases everyone and I'll buy a license just for fun.

• GoodHosting said: CloudStack is... complex. It's very complex. This and OpenStack are both up there in the "too complex to use" level, where you literally need an onsite engineer just to keep the thing running.

Not really complex, some knowledge in networking (SAN, VLANs, router, SDN, GRE, openvswitch,..) are enough. But you require some hardware and often some special setups which can be only done with a colo and own hardware.

Hostbill, cloudstack and cloudstack usage do the rest.

• guys

How does virtualizor stack up ?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

If you're looking for something just to replace SolusVM, try Feathur.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @perennate said:
    If you're looking for something just to replace SolusVM, try Feathur.

Second this, Feathur is basically SolusVM in features; so the transition would be negligible effort (for your clients.) The transition on your end is going to be hell no matter what you choose though, as none of the solutions listed allow you to just "Replace SolusVM with " on the compute nodes.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

+1 for Virtualizor
    +1 for CloudStack
    We use both and couldn't be happier. CloudStack is very complex to set up so if you have never done it before, I highly recommend practicing a few times to get it right before going to a production machine with it. Also, don't bother using CloudStack if you only have one machine, or even two for that matter simply because of the complexity and time consumption it takes to setup, it's not worth it with so few machines.

Thanked by 1datarealm
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

why not try hypervm or virtualizor...

• From your list I like OpenNebula most. The problem is it's not usable out-of-the-box for VPS businesses. IMO there's no better solution - provided you have software developers who will write some code to integrate with it.

I started an open source project that joins two worlds - both the virtualization (and be like OpenNebula, for example) - and the e-commerce (and be like SolusVM). While being in the very early stage of development, I think it's interesting enough to have a look at it. The website: https://www.virtkick.io/ The user panel demo: https://demo.virtkick.io/

• @meanservers took the words right out of my mouth. Direct to the question, virtualizor is great for simple vps provisioning. Cloudstack took us several months of setting up and complete teardown before we were really comfortable with it. Also be prepared for lots of custom coding if you are looking to cloudstack... whmcs has no builtin support for it at all.