Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good hosting down 2 days now. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good hosting down 2 days now.

2»

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Dynadot supports putting in 15!!!! Nameservers on a domain.

• I think 3 is a good number. Two in cheap locations in the states for redundancy and one offshore incase the US loses access to the internet or whatever (however likely that is).

Assuming you're doing bog standard DNS ofc.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2014

The SOA record is:
    Primary nameserver: ns1.goodhosting.co
    Hostmaster E-mail address: albinogeek.gmail.com
    Serial #: 2014082410
    Refresh: 86400
    Retry: 7200
    Expire: 3600000 5 weeks
    Default TTL: 86400

Should fix that.

Fine as it is now, However I prefer a company E-Mail address.

• @nexmark said:
    Should fix that.

Fine as it is now, However I prefer a company E-Mail address.

That's intentional, no use having a security contact that goes down when the domain does (no use having the alter mails for the webserver going back to the webserver...)

It is recommended that three servers be provided for most
       organisation level zones, with at least one which must be well
       removed from the others.  For zones where even higher reliability is
       required, four, or even five, servers may be desirable.  Two, or
       occasionally three of five, would be at the local site, with the
       others not geographically or topologically close to the site, or each
       other.

The same IETF document apparently recommends up to 5.

• @GoodHosting said:
    The same IETF document apparently recommends up to 5.

Exactly, much less than 12.

• GoodHosting said: Sadly it seems we need to notify LET when our employees sneeze. As per our clients, we did send a notification out to our active clients. I'm not sure about OP ever being a client, but considering our mail server was on OVH, fairly few of our clients were able to receive E-Mails at all (go figure.

You continue to bash the community, for your issues. In your answer, you are being pretty sarcastic (notify LET when you sneeze) but in the very next line you admit that probably even your clients did not get the informational email.

There were a ton of solutions: A public statement from your company to the major hosting communities (LET/WHT/VPSBOARD) or/and using mandrill/mailgun as transactional email relay or/and use a temporarily gmail/yahoo/hotmail account to inform your clients or/and setup and use different server as mail server for your company different than the "poisoned OVH network" (with issues that have been well known in hosting world for a long time now, so it is not an excuse).

If you don't feel the need to inform us (LET) about the serious issues that happens to your company (a major change and a day of downtime to your site/client area IS a very serious issue), then you should consider not to try to use this community to gain costumers. Enough is enough with anybody is trying to blame everybody else than himself for his faults/issues...

• A mere twitter/Fb update should be enough (if your clients know of your social media presence). Atleast you can put in the argument later that 'it was notified in twitter' instead of clarifying the downtime duration (among many other things) later with an irate customer in a public forum.

For the record, we already use twitter for network/ hardware maintenance announcements.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @jvnadr said:
    Enough is enough with anybody is trying to blame everybody else than himself for his faults/issues...

It's always someone or something else's fault with him. This is nothing new. I will never understand how or why anyone could look at his posts and think that signing up for services with him would be a good idea.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

@Dylan said:
    It's always someone or something else's fault with him. This is nothing new. I will never understand how or why anyone could look at his posts and think that signing up for services with him would be a good idea.

You'd be surprised just how many orders we do get. We actually see increased order spikes after each and every one of these kinds of threads is created, as people like to "see what all the fuss is about" ; regardless of how good or bad the "fuss" is.

People pay for a service that works, and it works exceptionally well. Sure, our client area is down from time to time (something I'd like to nip in the butt for good, but it doesn't seem that it's going to be an option while we're here on LowEndTalk, ti attracts a rather angry angry crowd, we're still getting hit with some SYN garbage as I write this post.) During these times, the actual services have not been down, and the one time they were; I claimed full responsibility in the thread in which it was discussed.

I have no intention of blaming every issue on something else, although I still don't understand why the machine running our website needs 32GB of RAM in it to stay online, that's something I'm going to have to ask someone else to look into over the week, as it's beyond my competencies.

I gladly accept any legitimate criticism aimed towards me or my business, as long as it is well-founded and well through out (or at least, articulated properly; even if it is an angry rant.) In your case, I accept this criticism with a heavy hand, as it's something that I am aware I already need to work on to improve as a person.

@noosVPS said:
    A mere twitter/Fb update should be enough (if your clients know of your social media presence). Atleast you can put in the argument later that 'it was notified in twitter' instead of clarifying the downtime duration (among many other things) later with an irate customer in a public forum.

For the record, we already use twitter for network/ hardware maintenance announcements.

I've always avoided all social networking as if it were the plague it really is, but I can see the merits of using it as a media for status updates (maintenance windows, downtime reports, and the related.) I'll take yours and @jvandr 's advice in creating a Twatter so customers can be aware of issues like this in the future.

That being said, if you look at the people that have been opening these threads (especially when it's not actually been an issue on our part), they have been users that will not actually pay attention to any status/monitoring or social media updates we release, so these threads will come up just as often either way I feel.

@DalComp said:
    Exactly, much less than 12.

Fair enough, I'll remove the duplicated servers created by cPanel from our DNS records, as was advised by you and @AThomasHowe . Thanks for having concern in regards to our DNS records. I was under the assumption that a DNS server would simply send multiple packets in response to a query that requested too much information, I wasn't aware that it would try and fit as much information as possible into the first response.

@jvandr said:
    You continue to bash the community, for your issues. In your answer, you are being pretty sarcastic (notify LET when you sneeze) but in the very next line you admit that probably even your clients did not get the informational email.

There were a ton of solutions: A public statement from your company to the major hosting communities (LET/WHT/VPSBOARD) or/and using mandrill/mailgun as transactional email relay or/and use a temporarily gmail/yahoo/hotmail account to inform your clients or/and setup and use different server as mail server for your company different than the "poisoned OVH network" (with issues that have been well known in hosting world for a long time now, so it is not an excuse).

If you don't feel the need to inform us (LET) about the serious issues that happens to your company (a major change and a day of downtime to your site/client area IS a very serious issue), then you should consider not to try to use this community to gain costumers. Enough is enough with anybody is trying to blame everybody else than himself for his faults/issues...

For whatever reason, I wasn't able to quote your post correctly; I had to copy&paste it to get more than the end paragraph (I guess the quote plugin is still broken? Not the highlighting plugin, but the one where you simply click "Quote" in the bottom left of a post.)

My original "notify LET when we sneeze" comment was directed specifically at the many "GoodHosting late deployment" type threads that have sprung up lately from disgruntled customers that can't wait the 72 hours as advertised on both our site, and in our offers. It wasn't meant in response to the threads like this, that are pointing at legitimate downtimes of our core services.

As per OVH, we were under the assumption that their network would offer our site some protection against DDoS (as was advertised), which costs easily $5,000 or more anywhere else for the amount of bandwidth our main site pushes (8TB/mo roughly.) We found recently however, that it attracts attacks, and doesn't even block them in some cases, and moved our services off of there. Us moving our services from OVH is what caused this specific downtime.

Also, please see my above reply to @noosVPS ; as it applies to your comment as well.

We are slowly implementing all the recommended changes and working on the community input/criticism that has been directed at our service offering, and our staff (including myself.) However, it should be noted that these things take time. It especially takes time to change a personality, a lot more-so than to change a software package out. I'm fully aware that I come across as more abrasive than I should online, and it's unfortunate that typing loses most of the intended emotion when responses aren't laid out correctly.

• We have implemented SSL on all of our forward-facing services; even those where it is completely redundant to do so (upon direct request from customers, or from the community), including VNC (which, by the way, was a hell of a task. I never knew that websockets didn't play nice with SSL, but I know now; and that was a hard lesson.)

• We have implemented numerous geographically isolated nameservers for our core panel and sites. We have also pushed important hostnames and DS records to our registrar's nameservers, so that even in the event of all 300 of our nameservers being down, some services should still be accessible.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

With all that being said,

In about twenty minutes, we'll be taking down the networking for our main website and a few other internal services for approximately an hour to replace one of the fabric units in our Chicago cluster. Unfortunately, we cannot use the failover unit due to the port configuration. Something we will be fixing in the same window. This is a preventative maintenance to prevent this from being an issue in the near future, as the network status shown by the BladeManager is currently degraded due to this fabric unit.

This will not effect any BHS or FOX based services, nor should it effect your Virtual Machines on the Chicago cluster (as this VNET and SUS goes through the failover unit, where our main website and internal traffic goes only through the affected unit.)

• GoodHosting said: Fair enough, I'll remove the duplicated servers created by cPanel from our DNS records, as was advised by you and @AThomasHowe . Thanks for having concern in regards to our DNS records. I was under the assumption that a DNS server would simply send multiple packets in response to a query that requested too much information, I wasn't aware that it would try and fit as much information as possible into the first response.

I'll send you a bill for the consultation ;)

• GoodHosting said: You'd be surprised just how many orders we do get. We actually see increased order spikes after each and every one of these kinds of threads is created, as people like to "see what all the fuss is about" ; regardless of how good or bad the "fuss" is.

another gvh ?

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GoodHosting said: Twatter

That exists and it's...something else.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @raindog308 said:
    That exists and it's...something else.

Well, that's disturbing.

• Why does your main site push 8TB of data traffic per month. That seems excessive for a WHMCS integrated site

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

rajprakash said: Why does your main site push 8TB of data traffic per month. That seems excessive for a WHMCS integrated site

Probably DDOS traffic mostly, but it ultimately results in this:

GoodHosting said: I still don't understand why the machine running our website needs 32GB of RAM in it to stay online

If your server running one website requires 32GB RAM to stay online, I don't know what to say except for maybe "find a better admin". Frankly Chuck Norris might not need this much resource to run his!

• GoodHosting said: creating a Twatter

Heh.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited August 2014

GoodHosting said: I gladly accept any legitimate criticism aimed towards me or my business, as long as it is well-founded and well through out (or at least, articulated properly; even if it is an angry rant.) In your case, I accept this criticism with a heavy hand, as it's something that I am aware I already need to work on to improve as a person.

It's nice to read your take on things; Many people would retire their business after receiving the amount of criticism you have. I think working through issues makes people aware of them, and most long-lasting businesses I would assume has learned from mistakes at one point or another. Best of luck to you in the future, and hopefully some of the criticism will reside.