Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server for becoming a VPS Seller - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server for becoming a VPS Seller

2»

Comments

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    OP. Honestly, your budget is unrealistic. If you want a good server so you can offer a decent service, $50.00 is not even a remotely reasonable budget.

For $50.00, you'll probably end up with an EOL CPU and low-I/O Drives... The results will not be satisfactory.

I wasn't expecting to be able to earn a living by just a $50 investment. I am trying to understand what is needed to have a sustainable model. If it doesn't work in a small scale, how big of a scale does it need to be implemented at for it to be profitable?

• @loyd said:
    I am a VPS buyer not a reseller, but as businessman I think trick is in combination of powerfull server (RAM/HDD, cores, GHz, get cheaper with quantity), then carefully oversell. I hardly spend 3-10% of my allocated resources but they are available to me when needed, so I get advantage of several cores for few minutes a day without penalty of paying for them full time. As long as you rent space to people like me and keep abusers out, you can easily oversell 1:10 perhaps even more.

I see... yea, that would work. I just need to have an IP for each customer, I wouldn't be able to oversell that. But, RAM, HDD, CPU, those could oversold a little bit.

• @Heisenberg said:

I doubt anyone had any problems with running these commands:

wget http://soluslabs.com/installers/solusvm/install
    chmod 755 install
    ./install

Setting those up is not even the tip of the iceberg. And it's the reason why people think it's so easy.

• @serverian said:
    Setting those up is not even the tip of the iceberg. And it's the reason why people think it's so easy.

What should I be looking out for? What do people have issues with?

• @Heisenberg said:

no offense, but I think you should try and get a job working for a VPS host first, to learn how everything works, and then start your own company. we don't really wanna see another failed host on here (and this is from a consumer, not another host worried of competition)

• @hostnoob said:
    no offense, but I think you should try and get a job working for a VPS host first, to learn how everything works, and then start your own company. we don't really wanna see another failed host on here (and this is from a consumer, not another host worried of competition)

I've been configuring RHEL and Solaris Servers for a little over 7 years now. How much more experience do I need?

• @Heisenberg said:

You have to be proficient in server management first. Then as I said, you have to be proficient with the technology itself. And this is just for the start.

There are a million variables involved in it.

You have to have a great understanding of the hardware aspect. You have to be able to do resource and abuse monitoring and acting accordingly. Being knowledgeable enough to support the clients.

Hosting is also a business. It is not simple math. You can't just split the server cost into x and determine your product price. You have to have a great understanding of the market you target. You have to be able to foresee growth and plan accordingly.

Or you can ignore all of these and get a cheap dedicated server with cheap IP space and start selling and shut down after wasting your customers' and your time and money.

Thanked by 2Zigara vimalware
  • If you don't want to listen to @serverian you could just be like me and start up a VPS division with absolutely no experience, sell ridiculously stupid plans on LET for a few months, garnish tens of thousands of dollars from it, go bankrupt and into debt, then pick yourself up and go smooth sailing after learning from all your mistakes

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2014

jnguyen said: If you don't want to listen to @serverian you could just be like me and start up a VPS division with absolutely no experience, sell ridiculously stupid plans on LET for a few months, garnish tens of thousands of dollars from it, go bankrupt and into debt, then pick yourself up and go smooth sailing after learning from all your mistakes

Wow, that's the most to the point statement I saw from you in LET over the time! In 3 lines you concentrated all that happened to your company and you, but till now you haven't tell the whole story. Ι sincerely hope you DID learn from your mistakes and the running of your company will be better than it was... Best of luck!

• @jnguyen said:
    If you don't want to listen to serverian you could just be like me and start up a VPS division with absolutely no experience, sell ridiculously stupid plans on LET for a few months, garnish tens of thousands of dollars from it, go bankrupt and into debt, then pick yourself up and go smooth sailing after learning from all your mistakes

What was it that dragged your business down the first time around (before the smooth sailing and all the learning from mistakes that took place) ?

• I hope everyone understands here that I'm not trying to be stubborn or rude, I just want to understand this whole VPS business a little better.

• Heisenberg said: What was it that dragged your business down the first time around (before the smooth sailing and all the learning from mistakes that took place) ?

jnguyen said: start up a VPS division with absolutely no experience, sell ridiculously stupid plans on LET for a few months, garnish tens of thousands of dollars from it,

I dunno whatever could it be.

If you were as honest throughout as you were in that post, John, you could probably make a very interesting (and reflective) blog post/forum post.

• @Heisenberg said:
    What was it that dragged your business down the first time around (before the smooth sailing and all the learning from mistakes that took place) ?

I was a greedy motherfucker that wanted all the money in the world and didn't know how to manage money when I got it.

• @jnguyen said:
    I was a greedy motherfucker that wanted all the money in the world and didn't know how to manage money when I got it.

Everyone makes mistakes, but very few admit it.

• Well, this was very informational. Thank you everyone for providing your input!

• @jnguyen said:
    If you don't want to listen to serverian you could just be like me and start up a VPS division with absolutely no experience, sell ridiculously stupid plans on LET for a few months, garnish tens of thousands of dollars from it, go bankrupt and into debt, then pick yourself up and go smooth sailing after learning from all your mistakes