Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

123Systems - the Quintessential Overseller
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

123Systems - the Quintessential Overseller

sleddogsleddog Member
edited September 2011 in General

I've had a 256MB VPS with 123Systems for a year @ $54/annual. It's located in Chicago (most of the stuff that 123Systems advertises is at their Dallas datacentre). My Chicago VPS was quite good until recently....

On Sept 18 I received an advertising email from 123Systems announcing $15/year, 256MB VPSs in Chicago.

The next day, the load and i/o wait on my VPS started to climb. Next day it was worse. In a week the VPS was unusable.

It's an example (I think) of a perfectly good OpenVZ node being trashed by company greed. They just couldn't leave well enough alone. Pack some more in at $15 a pop.

I've submitted a cancellation, well before my renewal date. Everything is migration to Bitcable -- which is nothing short of stellar.

Comments

• sleddog said: Everything is migration to Bitcable -- which is nothing short of stellar.

We've got your back :)

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

Interesting! I received as well a lot of emails from 123sys advertizing a whole lot of stuff, they may be looking for some urgent revenue. What happened with you is actually similar to HostRail when they claimed they will start an urgent maintenance and only after it everything went slow as turtle (unusable actually); they looked simply stacked tons more containers in less nodes trying to fix the disaster they where running! They sent urgent offers as well....But not saying 123sys is anywhere close to HR situation! HR was a big exception in fail. While 123sys are just different. But looks to me could be same reasons, not situations.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011

I was about to buy another box in Chicago with 123systems... but, thanks for this info...

Piece of crap.... and I have several boxes with them :|

• LESLES Member
    edited September 2011

don't buy yomero, they don't pay out their affiliates! do not trust them any more.

• Someone seems skint.

• agree with LES,

recently 123Systems keep on closing my ticket (#614513) without replying, or processing my affiliate withdrawal request (since Sep 17th).

at least they should let me know how long shall I expected to wait... or affiliate is only the imagination in my mind :-)

• May want to post about your experiences on the main site as well if you haven't already.

• Yeah, I am on with 123System also and they are really slow. Turned up a server in france with UptimeVPS and started the 123Systems centmin installer at the same time. Uptime is done, and had to restart 123Systems as it timed out TWICE!. Might be leaving 123Systems

• Bitcable said: We've got your back :)

I think I've bought my last low-end OpenVZ box....

Thanked by 1tux
  • yaochengyaocheng Member
    edited September 2011

my request has been processed finally

• LES said: don't buy yomero, they don't pay out their affiliates! do not trust them any more.

I second that! They just removed my affiliation earnings.

• @SwordfishBE hope you removed your banners.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited October 2011

I am afraid of the Hostrail stuff...

Also, why they emphasize in the "absolutely not migration" thing?

• yaocheng said: agree with LES,

recently 123Systems keep on closing my ticket (#614513) without replying, or processing my affiliate withdrawal request (since Sep 17th).

at least they should let me know how long shall I expected to wait... or affiliate is only the imagination in my mind :-)

You may want to warn this user: http://post2vps.com/topic-post2.html#post2

Monthly Bandwidth 500gb
    Guaranteed RAM 256mb
    Burstable RAM 512mb
    IP Addresses 1
    Location Dallas,TX
    price: $3.00 Month

go to {afflink}

Or perhaps, lets not warn him, let him learn on his own....

• Keep making backups, folks.

• Bitcable said: Keep making backups, folks.

I'm on it... :S

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited October 2011

@yomero: I was about to buy another box in Chicago with 123systems

FYI - So far, so good with my Chicago-based $15/year SpotVPS. My bandwidth was incorrectly capped at 1M/s when I first got it, but this was quickly reset to 10 M/s with a single ticket to Support.

Update: Just checked it again and got 40 M/s!

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

Thank you 123Systems for terminating both my VPSs prior to their renewal date.

I realize you probably needed the space to pack in a few more holiday special deals, but you could've had the courtesy to wait a few more days.

( I'd submitted cancellation for both in September & October, for "end of billing period".)

• OMFG sleddog, 54 usd, damn.

And yes, for me the service is exactly... the same... 123sucks

• @yomero said: OMFG sleddog, 54 usd, damn.

$54/year is $4.50/month, a fair price (I think) for a 256MB memory, 30GB storage, VPS that performs well and has excellent uptime. 123Systems provided exactly that for nine months, then began overselling like hell and ruined it.

• I must admit that I seem to had luck with 123systems back then. I had 3 of their LEB special VPSes and had no problems with it. Just the rude support was a bit inadequate.

• @japon said: Just the rude support was a bit inadequate.

Beginning to think that is all that is left in the world anymore. Even at the grocery check out the lady was rude to me the other day. Most likely because she thought I had no reason to be in a motorized cart but that is her problem not mine. Yes I did report her.

• @AuroraZ said: Even at the grocery check out the lady was rude to me the other day.

Come ring a bell with me one day. Lots of rudeness.

It's sad really. The rudest group is white 50-60ish female senior citizens. Most of them don't even remember the word "hello" anymore. They just jump down your throat about something.

Thanked by 1japon
  • The world is like that, cruel reality.

I am sad today.