Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying VPS to sell on as 'managed'
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying VPS to sell on as 'managed'

Afternoon all.

This is just a question I would like to put to the providers out there. I am helping people out with their hosting and servers when things go wrong, I admit I never knew how some people could get it so wrong but thats another story, so wanted to be able to sell them a 'managed' service.

I know how to set up a VPS server using Solus etc but I think thats overkill (and I don't want to be called a summer host ;)) so would providers care if I bought a VPS in my name, got cPanel etc installed and then managed the server whilst sort of reselling it to someone else?

Not sure if there are any nightmare pitfalls in there, or reselling a VPS is frowned upon etc?

Looking at servers across the US, Europe and occasionally further east (although with bandwidth prices over that way I doubt I will see much in LET!) so it would be tough to set up a VPS reseller with one company hence the question :)

Look forward to any replies.

Comments

• mhh, what is your question?

• said: so would providers care if I bought a VPS in my name, got cPanel etc installed and then managed the server whilst sort of reselling it to someone else?

Should not be a problem with any VPS provider. You will be the point-of-contact for your provider, so any abuse/DMCA reports will be sent over to you and you will have to work it out with your client.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • Sorry - went on a waffle run I guess. Question is do providers care that I would buy their unmanaged VPS to sell on as a managed service to others without setting up a proper VPS reselling account with them

Thanked by 1Rallias
  • I doubt many hosts would have a problem with that.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • do providers care that I would buy their unmanaged VPS to sell on as a managed service to others without setting up a proper VPS reselling account with them

think, this is no problem, perhaps check in germany: cyberwebhosting.de

i have tested with free vps: cpanel works fine http://cyberwebhosting.de/virtualserver-reseller.html (perhaps use translate.google.com)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

It's usually not a problem but we've had instances in the past where our client's client started contacting us directly but since they aren't our client we cannot help them without violating our TOS and Privacy Policy which caused friction between our client and their client along with angry tickets to us when our client wasn't available to assist them.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • thats the result of small vps cyberwebhosting, unmanged

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
    Number of cores : 24
    CPU frequency : 110.839 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1000 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1000 MB
    System uptime : 8 days, 18:46,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 72.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 16.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 16.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.29MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 44.0MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 63.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.34MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 13.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 22.2MB/s
    I/O speed : 49.2 MB/s

• @KuJoe said:
    It's usually not a problem but we've had instances in the past where our client's client started contacting us directly but since they aren't our client we cannot help them without violating our TOS and Privacy Policy which caused friction between our client and their client along with angry tickets to us when our client wasn't available to assist them.

Thanks for that - fortunately it shouldn't be a problem (he says!) for me / them but worth remembering anyway. I didn't think of that when I was thinking this over.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

We do not mind it. You are free to do anything as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. Any abuse reports would be sent to you as @noosVPS said.

Thanked by 1Fatboy