Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to create your own Windows Template for Kimsufi (Using Proxmox)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to create your own Windows Template for Kimsufi (Using Proxmox)

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited August 2014 in Tutorials

So you are looking to create your own Windows Template for your Kimsufi Server? Well, keep reading because i will be explaining how you can do that yourself using Proxmox. This tutorial will be detailed and with screenshots, so you can’t go wrong, can you? :)

Things you will need:

Dedicated server or a KVM VPS with Proxmox installed (VirtualBox will also work though, but I will be using Proxmox with this tutorial).

VPS or Server with at least 5GB of available disk space.

Windows ISO (e.g. Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8/8.1).

Ubuntu ISO (or any Linux that allows to run from RAM) to create a dump of the Windows disk.

Make sure to have the ISO’s uploaded to the “/var/lib/vz/template/iso” directory on your Proxmox install.

Read the full tutorial at: https://joodle.nl/how-to-create-your-own-windows-template-for-kimsufi/

Good luck! :)

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And the network driver?

• @netomx said:
    And the network driver?

Could you not download the drivers on the vm and then use something like pnputil to manually add the driver files to the right location in windows?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@TarZZ92 said:

In other things, are you reporting this thread to MS, too?

@sc754 said:
    Could you not download the drivers on the vm and then use something like pnputil to manually add the driver files to the right location in windows?

I think it is, but hey, a guide would be better :P

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Many thanks!

• SylmaeSylmae Member
    edited August 2014

@joodle: You're the best! You don't even ask anything in return unlike some ppl on the Kimsufi forums!

Will try this on a non-Kimsufi server (online.net)...

• Thread cleaned (off-topic bickering removed).

• thanks for the tutorial

• I followed the tutorial but I still can't RDP. I even turned off the firewall. I have to use the VNC in order to connect but RDP don't work :(

• @Ruriko said:
    I followed the tutorial but I still can't RDP. I even turned off the firewall. I have to use the VNC in order to connect but RDP don't work :(

If you're logging in with a user different to Administrator, you have to give that user RDP login access.

• wychwych Member

@joodle liking the new theme bro!

• @Ruriko said:
    I followed the tutorial but I still can't RDP. I even turned off the firewall. I have to use the VNC in order to connect but RDP don't work :(

If you log in to VNC, is RDP still enabled?

• @Sylmae said:
    joodle: You're the best! You don't even ask anything in return unlike some ppl on the Kimsufi forums!

Will try this on a non-Kimsufi server (online.net)...

and why the heck would you do that? just dl the iso go to idrac and mount??

• @infected said:
    and why the heck would you do that? just dl the iso go to idrac and mount??

Frankly, I don't know why these people don't just write their own ISO media, using nLite or similar (WinReducer, or actually writing the AutoUnattend.xml files.) Or, just inject into DISM or WinPE manually. It's really not that hard.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Frankly, I don't know why these people don't just write their own ISO media, using nLite or similar (WinReducer, or actually writing the AutoUnattend.xml files.) Or, just inject into DISM or WinPE manually. It's really not that hard.

Helpful post. brought me some ideas. but since online.net only offers idrac to mount something there should be the best solution simply mounting the win iso right?

• Why do we need "Dedicated server or a KVM VPS with Proxmox installed"?
    Can't we just do this in Windows machine with VMware Workstation or Virtualbox installed?

Thanked by 1infected
  • cassa said: If you log in to VNC, is RDP still enabled?

Yes RDP is still enabled when I login to VNC. It just won't connect when using RDP :(

• @mkz71 said:
    Why do we need "Dedicated server or a KVM VPS with Proxmox installed"?
    Can't we just do this in Windows machine with VMware Workstation or Virtualbox installed?

I mentioned that at my blog post :)

• infectedinfected Member
    edited August 2014

@joodle said:

I guess there are many solutions or more likely dozens ;^^

• @joodle said:

I didn't see you mentioned anything about using Windows machine locally to do the job on your blog. You mentioned only Virtual box which I guess you meant having Virtual box on your Dedicated server or a KVM VPS.

I just don't see the point to do this on remote machine if you can do it at home.

Btw, nice tutorial. Thank you for sharing!

• infectedinfected Member
    edited August 2014

@mkz71 said:

yea that was what he meant, well I got 30 kB/s up speed so I might think about that ;)

• @mkz71 said:

I suppose the main benefit is if you wanted to transfer the final image to another machine. My upload speed is only 120kb/s...

• SylmaeSylmae Member
    edited August 2014

infected said: and why the heck would you do that? just dl the iso go to idrac and mount??

Because I don't know what the hell idrac is or how to mount. I've never touched linux in my life so I need a GUI. With this guide, even if joodle's website goes down or something else happens, I'll be able to install my own images on servers without relying on anyone.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited August 2014

it seems the windows 8.1 have already include the driver of Intel 82574L, so don't need integrate it first :p

• SylmaeSylmae Member
    edited August 2014

NVM: I'm an idiot. :o