Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PayPal email address leak
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PayPal email address leak

Hi,
I tried doing some searches but I couldn't find anything relevant.
Is there any way to prevent my details from being passed over to a seller when paying via paypal?

I started receiving some 'rayban' spams to an email address I use exclusively on PayPal so I'm assuming one of the people I paid to got hacked in a way.

Also, being an email address used only on PayPal I'd like it not to be disclosed to merchants (or at least be able to give out a secondary email address?).

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks.

Comments

• I don't think so. They disclose your email so if anything happens during the transaction, they can contact you.

• You can have multiple email addresses associated with your paypal account, however I believe only the "primary" one can be seen my merchants. You can login with all of them, though, so you could have one email address you use to login and another that actually gets sent over on payment. You could just make the primary an email address where everything goes to spam or archived, though I would whitelist direct emails from paypal so that you don't miss anything.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • PayPal sends the email address as part of your unique ID to sells. You can try Google Wallet - last I checked they only send a unique token to the seller (unless you personally give them more).

• Thanks for all the answers, looks like there isn't much that can be done.
    It would be good to be able to choose what details are disclosed to the merchant but I guess that's that.

Thanks again

• You cant do 1 thing , you could actually signup for their business account plan and show your Firm's name instead of your email @ checkout

• Odd thing is I've got a lot of spam mails for Rayban's sunglasses too. But they come from different email senders.

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Did you happen to shop on Amazon?

• EM5EM5 Member

Or, you could have bought a domain on GoDaddy (may be with an offer)
    I too used an unique email address with godaddy and next day onwards started to get spam to that email.

• EM5EM5 Member

May be, people should use a method like this, using multiple/temp addresses

• Use a fixed address only for important stuff (e.g. for those I shouldn't miss to reply to)
    • Use another fixed address for all other stuff (for e.g this LET signup)
    • Use a temp address (like email14@domain for this year) as a forwarder to your inbox (and may be make it go into a folder). You can use this to download an ebook.
  • EM5 said: Use a temp address

Or find a better anti-spam. :P

I've seen these emails in my anti-spam logs, but they were recognized as spam and blocked.