Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good but inexpensive POE Switches for phones?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good but inexpensive POE Switches for phones?

lumaluma Member
edited June 2012 in Help

Hey folks,

A bit off topic but you folks seem to have good recommendations on stuff like this.

I was asked what would be some good POE switches for VOIP phones.

2x offices have under 8 phones and one office has 12 phones. so rather small deployment. They don't want to spend thousands for Cisco. They just need a switch that powers the phone. No real management needed or anything like that.

I found a few netgear for under $200 for 8 ports but not sure how good they are.

thanks.

Luma

Comments

• @miTgiB knows his stuff, I would ask him

• You don't need to spend much to get a Cisco consumer grade switch with PoE.

Linksys (now Cisco) SD208P - 10/100 with 8 PoE ports, sells for around 130$ at eBay new.
    The next larger ones would be already 24 ports, so you might want to use 2x 8 port since it will be cheaper.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

You can get some older used Cisco gear on eBay for super cheap.

From a quick eBay search:

WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN under $100 for 24 ports
    WS-C3550-24PWR​-SMI under $200 for 24 ports

• lumaluma Member

@qps we are not really looking for used stuff. We would like new stuff that we can purchase from normal suppliers.

Thanks.

@William thanks, looking those up. They seem quite decent for the money.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@luma said: We would like new stuff that we can purchase from normal suppliers

Say goodbye to your money for no good reason, I buy used cisco as well. I would defiantly avoid Linksys if you want this stuff to actually work past 90 days.

• lumaluma Member

@miTgiB said: ay goodbye to your money for no good reason,

It is not that I am against used stuff. These offices are in Northern Canada (and I don't mean half an hour North of Toronto either) and Ebay from Canada we don't get the deals you guys do to begin with. Add shipping to this remote location and first thing you know it costs as much as new shit.

So trying to find a happy middle.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@luma said: n Northern Canada (and I don't mean half an hour North of Toronto either) and Ebay from Canada we don't get the deals you guys do to begin with.

Is the internet slower there because of the cold? There are many vendors who's sole business is refurbishing older cisco gear and reselling it, as much as you think you are adding with shipping, you are still going to be a far distance from the cost of new Cisco

A new 24 port 10/100 Cisco switch with POE is going to be well over $1000, while perfectly usable and has decades of life left used will be $200-300 shipped? Just like you pay extra for that Mercedes emblem, the same goes for Cisco, but nobody has ever been fired for buying Cisco.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • RobertRobert Member

Make sure all the ports are powered. I've been nearly caught out by this before. A lot of the small POE switches only have half the number of POE ports. So an 8 port switch might only have 4 powered ports.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@luma said: It is not that I am against used stuff. These offices are in Northern Canada (and I don't mean half an hour North of Toronto either) and Ebay from Canada we don't get the deals you guys do to begin with. Add shipping to this remote location and first thing you know it costs as much as new shit.

So trying to find a happy middle.

I am in Mexico, and find out that is cheaper to send to Laredo, Texas (the border), and drive 3 hours to get them, pass customs, and go home. So, yeah, it is cheaper in the US and it worth the driving.

@miTgiB said: the same goes for Cisco, but nobody has ever been fired for buying Cisco.

hahaha just love that quote