Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An obviously rare, positive review of GVH - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An obviously rare, positive review of GVH

Comments

• @hostnoob said:
    If only people could understand that. To be honest, I think people are either a little jealous of the publicity they get, or just stupid enough to expect amazing quality for such low prices

You are paying money, you expect to get what is paid for! if they cannot properly deliver for what is being paid for then they should not offer it to begin with. It really isn't that hard*

*this is not related to GVH in particular, im just speaking in general terms here.

• Mark_R said: You are paying money, you expect to get what is paid for! if they cannot properly deliver for what is being paid for then they should not offer it to begin with. It really isn't that hard*

Aren't they doing so in most cases?

• @eddynetweb said:
    Aren't they doing so in most cases?

I don't know, check the reviews.

• @hostnoob said:
    If only people could understand that. To be honest, I think people are either a little jealous of the publicity they get, or just stupid enough to expect amazing quality for such low prices

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/699229/#Comment_699229

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • Congratulations @jbarr , You officially trolled LowEndTalk. You managed to shut a lot of "Burn the witch" bandwagon members up pretty quickly with your well articulated review of the few positive aspects of an otherwise unstable service provider (and its' owner.)

I'm glad that you (and a few others) are able to enjoy the service, and get what you paid for out of it.

• ok you got me, but that's only because I've already had to open 6 tickets within a few weeks. I haven't had to open that many tickets in 8 months at GVH, or for multiple services in the last few years with EDIS.

fair enough though

• @hostnoob said:
    ok you got me, but that's only because I've already had to open 6 tickets within a few weeks. I haven't had to open that many tickets in 8 months at GVH, or for multiple services in the last few years with EDIS.
    fair enough though

You didn't open that many tickets at GVH. But someone else did.

And someone else didn't open tickets at CVPS since they got everything working in the first place but you did.

Point is people do get frustrated even if they paid nothing more than a penny for a service they acquired.

GVH and CVPS and some others are not advertising their service as "Hey, this thing is not for production. Don't expect good uptime or good support. Expect some IP changes, occasional bad performance and some other inconvenient things with this service."

They advertise "Quality Networks. Better Speeds.", "Superior 24/7 Technical Support", "High Performance Hardware", "10 Minute Average Responses". So they should deliver it. If not, "Hey this VPS is good for fooling around" is not going to cut it.

And people are not jealous of the "publicity" they receive. That doesn't even make any sense. If a company is serious about their product, they should get worried for each and every single negative things said about it.

You can get jealous of Linode if you are a provider. You can envy them because they do everything right. And set your goals to be like them one day. You don't get jealous of heavily negative things written about some company. That's like a doctor getting jealous of an alternative medicine performer.

• @serverian said:
    You can get jealous of Linode if you are a provider. You can envy them because they do everything right. And set your goals to be like them one day. You don't get jealous of heavily negative things written about some company. That's like a doctor getting jealous of an alternative medicine performer.

The difference is that I opened several tickets, they never fixed anything, so I posted on here about it. I didn't post here after the first downtime without contacting support claiming they were a scam.

not that everyone does that, but it seems like many do. the rest are just on the anti- wagons.

• Bottom line is: You get what you pay for. If you order a VPS that costs you $0.50/mo, expect a service that is worth your $0.50. It really is that simple.

With the exception of Vultr and DigitalOcean (they may be others), you pay $5.00/mo and you get excellent support. As a matter of fact, Choopa (vultr), has one of the best support teams in the industry.

• akzakz Member

meh gvh still sucks.

• serverian said: That's like a doctor getting jealous of an alternative medicine performer.

A doctor can (and should) be jealous of an alternative medicine performer based on your examples. The reasoning behind this: The alternative medicine performer is stealing your business.

• @GoodHosting said:
    A doctor can (and should) be jealous of an alternative medicine performer based on your examples. The reasoning behind this: The alternative medicine performer is stealing your business.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

DalekOfSkaro said: Bottom line is: You get what you pay for. If you order a VPS that costs you $0.50/mo, expect a service that is worth your $0.50. It really is that simple.

Cheap is not excuse for bad.

Thanked by 3Mark_R Pwner Lee
  • wychwych Member

@drserver said:
    Cheap is not excuse for bad.

I would rate a LowEndSpirit/IPv4 NAT box > GVH.

• I can say only one thing.. After i finish my servers period, it will be the last time i will ever be GVH clients. I can say only one thing, i was stupid, but when i get a much more stupid answer from support team and owner, i am happy because i was not the most stupid person alive.

• LinkkingLinkking Member
    edited August 2014

DalekOfSkaro said: You get what you pay for

Sick of hearing that excuse.

Hosts should not advertise if they can't deliver.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Pwner
  • akzakz Member
    edited August 2014

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Bottom line is: You get what you pay for. If you order a VPS that costs you $0.50/mo, expect a service that is worth your $0.50. It really is that simple.

lol ok Ill open up a vps company tomorrow make a huge sale $1/year vpses on a non existant box then not deliver and continue to post offers then close up shop the following month. Profit. when a customer inquires or flames me ill be sure to use your excuse.

• @akz: That wasn't an excuse, but a fact. 90% of the time you get your dollar worth of quality and support.

@Linkking: It is not an excuse, it's a fact. Hosts do know they should not advertise what they cannot deliver, but does that stop them? No, it does not.

What I'm trying to say is that the buyer should also consider that maybe, just maybe, the hosting provider is over-promising and will potentially under-deliver.

• akzakz Member
    edited August 2014

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    What I'm trying to say is that the buyer should also consider that maybe, just maybe, the hosting provider is over-promising and will potentially under-deliver.

exactly, but not when its DOA.

so what you are saying is its ok to false advertise if I sell the service cheap enough?

• @akz: You are absolutely right. When it comes to DOA, this is just pure nonsense... I don't think SolusVM is to blame for a VM that is DOA... So I wonder if it's just inadequate hardware.

• Linkking said: Sick of hearing that excuse.

True. "Cheap" prices should not be a license for providers to deliver dumb/high-school grade support.

And on the same note, a customer should realize that he has not signed up for life-long plan with any provider. If things ain't working, then move on and find a better one. Why still stay and contribute to a business that does not care for you?

A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Thanked by 2Pwner AndreiGhesi
  • @DalekOfSkaro said:
    akz: You are absolutely right. When it comes to DOA, this is just pure nonsense... I don't think SolusVM is to blame for a VM that is DOA... So I wonder if it's just inadequate hardware.

We actually experienced an incredible amount of DOA and other related stupidity back when we used SolusVM on a previous project, and @SolusLabs was completely useless in helping us solve the issue. I still have Support Tickets from that account where their staff literally told us to go complain somewhere else... this was before they permanently put up that "We are low on support jockies" orange banner excuse.

Single-threaded operations are BAD.

• akzakz Member

however I highly doubt GVH's issues are related to SolusVM; might be from the top down tho.

• @akz said:
    however I highly doubt GVH's issues are related to SolusVM; might be from the top down tho.

I wouldn't say that ALL of their issues are due to SolusVM...

• GoodHosting said: We actually experienced an incredible amount of DOA and other related stupidity back when we used SolusVM on a previous project, and @SolusLabs was completely useless in helping us solve the issue. I still have Support Tickets from that account where their staff literally told us to go complain somewhere else... this was before they permanently put up that "We are low on support jockies" orange banner excuse.

Single-threaded operations are BAD.

Really? That's interesting. I've had nothing but good experiences with @SolusLabs's support over the past 6 months. The only time they could not help is when it was related to the ModulesGarden SolusVM Module. There was a bug, and Phil pointed it out, which then I took to ModulesGarden and the problem was solved. Other than this, no complaints really.

I won't disagree with you that SolusLabs could use a few more extra support staff. But honestly, the ones they have are fairly competent. But again, that my experience with them.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    I won't disagree with you that SolusLabs could use a few more extra support staff. But honestly, the ones they have are fairly competent. But again, that my experience with them.

Sadly, my experience was polar opposite. We dropped a fair bit of money on their licensing, and saw no improvements whatsoever. This was during their "We can't be fucked updating for about a year." stretch though, wonder if anyone was working at the time...

• GoodHosting said: Sadly, my experience was polar opposite. We dropped a fair bit of money on their licensing, and saw no improvements whatsoever. This was during their "We can't be ****** updating for about a year." stretch though, wonder if anyone was working at the time...

Got ya... Yeah, that was, if I remember correctly, happening during 2013 or so. But it does seem that they got their stuff together now. Updates are more frequent and it seems to be working rather nicely.

What are you using now for your VPS Offers?

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    What are you using now for your VPS Offers?

We run OpenNebula, and have it configured as a fully fledged cloud. We are about to release our newest testbed actually, which will entice the community with a whole slew of actual cloud features, such as dynamic failover; real HA; templates and services; configurable appliances; live migration; hourly billing option; and much more.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited August 2014

@jbarr said:
    Quirks #1: Boots & reboots:
    I've had several occasions where each instance was offline and it needed to be booted. I also had a couple cases where an instance had obviously rebooted because a couple services that were not set to auto-start were not running when they previously had. Not sure why this happened, but this has only happened a couple times.

This is a nogo, should I run monitoring and be available 24/7 to boot the vps when it goes offline? I had the same issues with GVH.

• @GoodHosting said:
    We run OpenNebula, and have it configured as a fully fledged cloud. We are about to release our newest testbed actually, which will entice the community with a whole slew of actual cloud features, such as dynamic failover; real HA; templates and services; configurable appliances; live migration; hourly billing option; and much more.

Ah, brilliant. I heard a lot of good things about OpenNebula. Happy to see you built your in-house integration with WHMCS too! Way to go!