Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

298 Failed Login Attempts on France Dedi SSH - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

298 Failed Login Attempts on France Dedi SSH

2»

Comments

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited August 2014

Another Off-Topic Update about OneProvider. They Wont install an ISO for me because CentOS 6.4 / 6.5 is not a "Supported OS" Pstt I`ve been running 6.4 & 6.5 for awhile now. Even though there reinstall control panel has the choice for CentOS 6.4 but they wont install it.

BUT They`ll install CentOS 6.0 isant 6 outdated?

Really?

"Hi,

It's listed but it's NOT available for your server."

LOL I know Im not as smart when it comes to these things but that seems like a really bad Answer as to why it cant be installed

• Check fail2ban actually works after you install it, make sure to test with a friend's pc etc.

• Somebody is trying to bruteforce your ssh.

• @hyelton said:
    Not sure if installing fail2ban caused a problem or the fact its CentOS 7 But Webuzo Will NOT install :( So Now Im having to wait prob another 12 hours for another OS Re-Install., This time hopefully they`ll do CentOS 6.5

Webuzo is not supported on CentOS completely at the moment. We shall make it available soon though.

• One Last Question about this SSH Issue.

When installing a Control panel that has its own firewall stop these ? Cause I noticed when a Control panel is installed it stops.

• wychwych Member

@hyelton said:
    When installing a Control panel that has its own firewall stop these ? Cause I noticed when a Control panel is installed it stops.

Depends on the panel and firewall.

• wychwych Member

@valley_webuzo said:
    Webuzo is not supported on CentOS completely at the moment. We shall make it available soon though.

Thanks for confirming...

@wych said:
    Update your repo that it wants manually (may have other side effects) or use a supported OS.

• denyhosts is pretty good

• mkkmkk Member

You should make sure to secure everything, obviously, but I think this could have been the old user of that IP leaving it to auto retry.

~300 attempts in 5 hours does not brute force make...

• @Leechum said:
    if you don't have a license to drive a truck you hire someone to deliver your stuff for you. same rule applies here - you've no clue how to manage a server yet you MUST have one

Well put. Sorry, no offence but lack of financial resources and experience is a bad excuse to run a machine which is not properly secured. This is not only dangerous for your own server and your own data but also for the rest of the Internet.

• Necrobump guys?

• Not just Necro bump but its full of people going off on a tangent. I never will understand people who don't on the first thing they do on a new server is create / activate SSH keys and not allow password logins, your just asking for trouble else.

• @wych said:
    Necrobump guys?

Nice term, like it.

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited October 2014

@rethinkvps said:
    Change your SSH port and install Fail2Ban.

THIS. Others have found a more gentleman-like solution: banning whole countries, which I find to be quite suitable for your issue.

/sarcasm off

PS: @mkk, wth, this thread is OLD.