Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you running on your LEB web server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you running on your LEB web server?

vanarpvanarp Member
edited June 2012 in General

How about listing the details of your LEB Web Server?

Most likely it will help many others (me for sure) and also to know what limits an LEB web server can be pushed to.

VPS details

OS / Webserver / Database / Platform
Number of sites hosted (preferably by platform)
Typical traffic (overall pageviews/day)
Any other interesting details...

I will post mine after a couple of replies :)

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

@vanarp said: I will post mine after a couple of replies :)

Why not start it off by writing your own?

Fine, I guess I'll start with one of mine.

VPS details: 512mb plan with AsuraHosting
    OS / Webserver / Database / Platform: Debian 6 32-bit/Apache2/MySQL/PHP
    Number of sites hosted (preferably by platform): 1
    Typical traffic (overall pageviews/day): Very few
    this is my status-uptime server that keeps an eye on every VPS I have. It generates logs and pings those servers every 30 seconds or so. The only person who views the pages it generates is myself so there's no real load on it (except for when it executes the pings).

• BuyVM 512 OVZ:
    SL6, nginx, Percona.
    Just two WordPress-based websites for a friend, I doubt they get many hits at all.

PieServ 1GB OVZ/vSwap:
    Cent6, nginx, MariaDB.
    One WordPress testing install, used for tweaking theme/plugins without blowing up the actual main site.

• vanarpvanarp Member

256MB (512MB Burst) OpenVZ

Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit
    Apache2 + PHP-FPM
    MySQL with skip-innodb
    1 WordPress site (with WP-Super-Cache and 10 other plugins), planning to add more WP sites to make best use of it
    Currently 150-200 pageviews/day, hoping to touch 1k pageviews/day in ~2 months

I am very satisfied with the current performance of the WP site. Blitz.io tests show that it can easily handle more pageviews.

Used tuxlite.com scripts to install the webserver stack and configure. Probably need to upgrade to 512MB OVZ (or fine-tune LAMP stack?) as constantly consuming ~300MB RAM (my host doesn't care about that though!).

• @vanarp said: Used tuxlite.com scripts to install the webserver stack and configure. Probably need to upgrade to 512MB OVZ (or fine-tune LAMP stack?) as constantly consuming ~300MB RAM (my host doesn't care about that though!).

Funny that you use tuxlite, I recommend them for like a year to everyone I know haha.
    The tuxlite script uses php-fpm, which basically means there are constantly some php processes running (with the memory limit set) so if you have 2 of 128 mb running you could (in theory) use 256mb memory without any traffic. You can tweak the min_servers, max_servers etc in order to change this, or reduce memory for the processes.
    Also, Matt, the author of tuxlite, is a great and helpful guy if you might have any questions. I have his contact details and talk to him every once in a while.

• 128MB BuyVM
    Debian 6
    Nginx + PHP-FPM + MySQL (with some basic optimazations)
    1 Wordpress Site with Super-Cache
    Benchmark: http://i.imgur.com/5GQkM.png
    I guess i could improve the setup since PHP max servers is set to 2 and the VM was sitting around 90mb RAM during the test.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@liam said: Do you work for the FBI or CIA?

New tactic to catch law breakers?

huh ? Whom are you asking that ?
    I use lebs to give out bw to anti-censorship projects. If they have good bw and bad io/low memory, i put Tor, if they have low bw but good io and some reasonable storage, I put freenet.
    I also host some friends and a forum for a game.
    I prefer debian squeeze, sometimes centos 5 when i give the box to other ppl to manage with kloxo.
    Since trafic is rather low, I dont see the need to optimize with nginx, but I sometimes use lighttpd or even boa for static pages on tor exit nodes in case someone is curious to see info about that IP that contacted them.
    For db mysql or postgres.
    M

• maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
    edited May 2013

OS / Webserver / Database / Platform: Debian 32bit / nginx / MySQL / self-coded
    Number of sites hosted: Maybe 5?
    Typical traffic (overall pageviews/day):: No idea, pretty low (used to run a high traffic forum with 100 concurrent users once though)
    Any other interesting details: My LEB runs my personal site (www.excloo.com), my homepage and my RSS Reader (TT-RSS FTW!)

If you look on my status page (in my sig) you can see the current utilisation of my primary webserver (user) ;P

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@maxexcloo said: status page

@maxexcloo self coded? :P

• 2 cpanel servers + 2 cpanel dns-only vps for main web server (Cent OS 6.2 64bit)
    1 directadmin vps (Cent OS 5.8 32 bit)
    the rest arent web servers ;) run a mix of debian, ubuntu, windows 2003 and cent os

• @rsk said: @maxexcloo self coded? :P

no, it is checkmyservers.com from @NickM hosted solution on a subdomain

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

I'm going to sign up for Blitz.io; does anyone want referral credit?

• vanarpvanarp Member

@djvdorp said: Funny that you use tuxlite, I recommend them for like a year to everyone I know haha.

I have come across tuxlite scripts accidentally on WHT and they gave me confidence to sign up for unmanaged vps as I had no prior experience in setting up web server. I totally agree that Matt is quite helpful.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I guess i could improve the setup since PHP max servers is set to 2 and the VM was sitting around 90mb RAM during the test.

That is great performance from a 128MB vps. Is that a KVM or OVZ? Guess Debian helped you to stay low on memory too. Do you think adding another WP site can double the RAM requirement?

@Maounique said: sometimes centos 5 when i give the box to other ppl to manage with kloxo

By running hostinabox? What minimum RAM is required for it?

@peppr said: 2 cpanel servers + 2 cpanel dns-only vps for main web server (Cent OS 6.2 64bit)

Are you offering shared hosting or so with that setup or using for your own sites?

• @vanarp said: That is great performance from a 128MB vps. Is that a KVM or OVZ? Guess Debian helped you to stay low on memory too. Do you think adding another WP site can double the RAM requirement?

Its OVZ. I don't think adding another WP site would double the RAM requirement as long as it doesn't double that amount of visitors.

• DomDom Member

Debian 6
    Nginx + PHP-FPM (+ MySQL; isn't always running though)
    1 Development site used for testing web-apps/scripts before sticking them on production servers
    Very little traffic as a lot of the site is IP restricted

@MrDOS said: I'm going to sign up for Blitz.io; does anyone want referral credit?

If you haven't already signed up, feel free to use mine - http://blitz.io/bc21j2r22wXjt9D6SJ60FmR

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@MrDOS said: I'm going to sign up for Blitz.io; does anyone want referral credit?

I just signed up too, thanks to @vanarp for mentioning it.
    @MrDOS if you don't mind, http://blitz.io/bc21j2r22wXjt9D6SJ6RPju

• vanarpvanarp Member

@NanoG6 said: I just signed up too, thanks to @vanarp for mentioning it.

You are welcome!

Waiting to hear more web server success stories...

@ihatetonyy said: BuyVM 512 OVZ:

SL6, nginx, Percona.
    Just two WordPress-based websites for a friend, I doubt they get many hits at all.

How much memory this setup consumes? I am curious if you found any specific advantages with Percona on OVZ?

• InceptionHosting 768MB Xen
    Debian, lighttpd, php5-fpm and MySQL
    About 3 sites hosted on it.
    Using about 130mb of ram on the entire VPS

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

VPS: Prometeus $18/yr 256mb KVM
    Server software: CentOS 6 with nginx+php-fpm+mysql
    Web apps: 1 MyBB forum (~57k posts, ~4k threads, ~3k members)
    Typical traffic: 4-6k pageviews a day
    Ad income: ~$125-$150/month
    memory usage: ~160mb excluding buffers/caches

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've always suspected that 99%+ of web sites running on LEBs would run just fine on shared hosting.

I think most people who run web sites on LEBs do so for the fun geekery of it, not because it's the best possible technical solution.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • CoreyCorey Member

@raindog308 - not entirely true. They have full root access and can control every aspect of their environment, and can install some custom things that other shared hosting providers would not allow.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Corey that was my main reason indeed

• @Corey said: @raindog308 - not entirely true. They have full root access and can control every aspect of their environment, and can install some custom things that other shared hosting providers would not allow.

True. I can run my website. a Teamspeak server and an IRC bouncer for 15$/year. I guess most shared hosting would cost much more

• vanarpvanarp Member

@TheHackBox said: About 3 sites hosted on it.

Using about 130mb of ram on the entire VPS

Can you share the traffic numbers the vps is able to handle with so less memory? I am curious about your setup/optimization.

@dmmcintyre3 said: Typical traffic: 4-6k pageviews a day

Ad income: ~$125-$150/month

Awesome!! I wish I will reach there someday :)

@raindog308 said: I've always suspected that 99%+ of web sites running on LEBs would run just fine on shared hosting.

True mostly for static sites. With dynamic sites and special requirements for the sites it makes sense to have own budget server. Note that there are premium shared hosting providers that provide excellent quality and service for the premium they charge. Until a while ago I was running my WordPress site on such premium hosting that was performing so great that it did not require any WP caching plugin. Primarily the cost and the geek within influenced to migrate to vps :)

@gsrdgrdghd said: True. I can run my website. a Teamspeak server and an IRC bouncer for 15$/year. I guess most shared hosting would cost much more

Curious to know the traffic details.

• @vanarp One of my clients earns 2500euro/month with adsense hehe. Unbelievable but true.

• @vanarp said: Curious to know the traffic details.

The Teamspeak has around 1GB/day, znc had 40mb total in the 3 weeks its running and for the wordpress i don't really know... But i guess it could handle 50-100 concurrent users without problems.

• @vanarp said: Can you share the traffic numbers the vps is able to handle with so less memory? I am curious about your setup/optimization.

On my site it is very very minimal traffic like a few people every once in a while. A VPS like that may be able to handle a good amount of people assuming your webserver is setup good enough :)

• tommytommy Member

I've few vps, 2 as DNS server, 1 Download server + 1 Upload server (private website), 1 steraming.
    another VPS :
    OS / Webserver / Database / Platform : Debian/Apache2/MySQL/64 Bit
    Number of sites hosted (preferably by platform) : 2 WP
    Typical traffic (overall pageviews/day) : I don't know about pageview (too lazy to check ) Visitor about 2000-3000/day for both of website.

• @vanarp said: How much memory this setup consumes? I am curious if you found any specific advantages with Percona on OVZ?

~300MB at the moment, though that's with php-fpm ondemand pools.

Percona seems to use the same amount of memory (roughly) as MySQL proper. I just felt like trying something different.