Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving Virtualizor another look
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Giving Virtualizor another look

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited June 2012 in General

It's been awhile since I looked at Virtualizor, but was just mucking around and drifted by and am impressed with the polish they have been putting into the product. It looks a lot better than it did almost a year ago.

Has anyone tried it yet in production or lab with the latest release?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/79263
    Seems like ppl have mixed opinions, but my idea from that is that it is a promising product.
    M

• DamianDamian Member

Better don't!

• GridVirtGridVirt Member
    edited June 2012

We use Virtualizor right now. We have ran across a few bugs but nothing that they couldn't solve. They usually make a new release with bug fixes within a few days and feature requests within a week or two. Their support has been great for us but we are probably more advanced users than the norm so our tickets have been limited to bug reports and feature requests.

I'm not going to hide behind it, we have had to work around/outside of Virtualizor to implement most of the advanced services/features that we offer with our service. That is why we are currently developing a management solution of our own. Though I'm sure that Virtualizor would be fine for most intended uses.

As mentioned in the other thread @Maounique referred to the WHMCS module does have some issues. We have worked around most of them for our setup. The Virtualizor dev team is working on releasing a much better module very soon.

If you keep your setup simple both Virtualizor and SolusVM should be fine. If you intend to do anything advanced or outside of a basic setup I highly reccomend that you stay far away from SoulsVM. I'm not going to get into it but our expierience with them was very sub-par.

Seann

• TazTaz Member

If not making any mistake,
    Virtualizor is licensed per node ( no master-slave) setup. Which makes it really expensive comparing solus 10$+2.5 slave.

• @NinjaHawk said: Virtualizor is licensed per node ( no master-slave) setup. Which makes it really expensive comparing solus 10$+2.5 slave.

Solus is still $10 a node for unlimited VMs.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

@Daniel. Solusvm master 10$+ slave 2.50
    http://www.solusvm.com/pricing.php
    Virtualizor does not have slave+master settings if I am looking at the right page. And licensed @10$/node.

• @NinjaHawk said: @Daniel. Solusvm master 10$+ slave 2.50

SolusVM pricing is confusing, the $2.50 license is actually for a master-only license.

• TazTaz Member

Yes you are right. I will still go for solus this time. My current panel can not keep up with things I need.

• @NinjaHawk said: If not making any mistake,

Virtualizor is licensed per node ( no master-slave) setup. Which makes it really expensive comparing solus 10$+2.5 slave.

Actually Virtualizor is fully cluster capable master+slaves. The pricing is $9/m per hardware node for unlimited VMs. Unlike SolusVM you can create KVM VMs on the master if you want as well.

Here is the complete list...

http://www.virtualizor.com/pricing

Best of all the way their system works every license comes with a 1 month free trial.

Seann

• Virtualizor looks interesting now.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

Native support for tun/tap?

Edit :Yes it does.

• I actually prefer no master, no single point of failure. If your master gets compromised, your whole cluster is in danger.

A control panel per node is much safer and more redundant.

At 9 USD per node (With no master) and the first month free, Virtualizor is appealing price wise.

Its a shame we had a bad run with their support when we were testing it. They couldn't explain why IPv6 just wouldn't work with the CPs auto KVM bridge.

In fact, the forum post we left is still sat unanswered.

• TazTaz Member

@GetKVM_Ash->;Does it support IPV6?

• Yea they say so. But it wouldn't with our KVM node we tested. The Equinix guys even took a look and couldn't get there head around it. In the end the virtualizor team took our root details and we never heard anything back.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

@GetKVM_Ash I see.

• GridVirtGridVirt Member
    edited June 2012

@GetKVM_Ash said: I actually prefer no master, no single point of failure. If your master gets compromised, your whole cluster is in danger.

A control panel per node is much safer and more redundant.

We do it only as a convenience for our clients so they can just use a single sign on and manage all their VMs no matter what hardware node they are on. As you can tell from our other post we don't actually use the admin side of the panel for anything other than the configuration of the panel itself.

If the master fails you simply have no CP. It wont bring down the rest of the cluster. As for getting hacked. If you look at the recent update announcements in the forum they have implemented some of the security features we suggested and it is now much more secure than SolusVM in its current state.

@GetKVM_Ash said: Its a shame we had a bad run with their support when we were testing it. They couldn't explain why IPv6 just wouldn't work with the CPs auto KVM bridge.

That is why you just create your own bridge to override theirs. We had issues with that as well but it's not something any good linux admin can't figure out.

@GetKVM_Ash said: In fact, the forum post we left is still sat unanswered.

I agree, The forums are very dead they should try to promote more participation from their users.

Seann

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@GridVirt said: I'm not going to hide behind it, we have had to work around/outside of Virtualizor to implement most of the advanced services/features that we offer with our service.

Same with ppl using Solus. Advanced hosts usually make their own, in the end, since hacking someone else's code gets more expensive than developing your own after a while because of the patches and upgrades upstream that break your hacks.
    M

• hence why an open sourced version of a panel would be nice, with a plugin system that allowed advanced features.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@FRCorey said: an open sourced version of a panel would be nice, with a plugin system that allowed advanced features.

This is really the only logical course for many hosts. I do not code well outside of shell scripting, I cant write a control panel, sure I could pay someone, and that would be my first step in the deadpool express.