Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to uninstall SolusVM (+ other unnecessary stuff) and only keep OpenVZ on a dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to uninstall SolusVM (+ other unnecessary stuff) and only keep OpenVZ on a dedi?

I have a dedi with OVH. I've had trouble upgrading a plain vanilla CentOS to OpenVZ kernel at OVH (and while there are tutorials, i know others who have).

OVH does offer template to install CentOS6.5 with SolusVM. I dont need SolusVM - just need OpenVZ (as these are private containers).

Can someone share how to permanently remove the unnecessary stuff from a pre-installed SolusVM and only keep OpenVZ? I dont need the db/ http, etc.

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

just installl something like hyper vm then remove it. or even proxmox (deb only)

• What is the trouble you are having?

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    What is the trouble you are having?

Summer is over.

• The trouble I was having when I originally installed CentOS (non solusvm) is that the openvz kernel would not install using instructions from OpenVz site. Then I read that OVH centos kernel might be custom kernel.

Since then, I already installed the solusvm kernel.. and am successfully using it. I just need to remove solusvm and other unnecessary components and keep OpenVZ ( I want to remove for the sake of security/performance/optimization )

So what all needs to be uninstalled/removed?

And if someone has a solution for 'Summer is over' - please do let me know too. (moving to southern hemisphere is not feasible at the moment unless there is a great low end offer to move)

• I don't know what SolusVM installs, but if you describe the original problem you had there is likely a solution so you don't have to deal with this.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • Thx. I next time I reinstall, I will reproduce and see what the exact issue is. in the meanwhile if someone knows how to install or completely disable solusvm, that would be great.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

aFriend said: And if someone has a solution for 'Summer is over' - please do let me know too.

Miss the sun and the heat? I won't.

You can copy all the data/vm's to a backup server (backupsy, vpsdime? Your choice), reinstall the server with OpenVZ and move everything back (probably easier, downtime though.), or go dig up the installer for Solus and reverse anything it did in the installer (Probably a bit harder, minimal downtime if any). I'd personally go for the reinstall route.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited August 2014

Honestly, if you need to virtualize for personal use, you should install Oracle Virtual Box.

Pros:
    1. Works on CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu etc...
    2. You do NOT need to change your kernel
    3. Zero incompatibility issues
    4. Very easy to manage via a OSS PHP Interface or X-Windows
    5. It runs as a part of your server, not the whole sever. And since you didn't change or patch your kernel, your server is not fully dedicated to your virtualization.

Cons:
    None.

Please keep in mind that this is not for hosting clients' VPS's. You don't have IP Restriction by default!

I may write up a tut on how to get it up and running. If you're interested, send me a PM. If I get enough requests, I'll write it up.

• To clarify personal use, i mean for not selling VPS but it does need to be performant as each of the VPS would contain front end web servers, with their own dedicated IP . I chose OpenVZ as I believe that since its not a true VM but a container - it will provide maximum utilization of machine resources. I think with Oracle Virtual Box, that is not the case as it is true VM if I am not mistaken. If the overhead is not too much, It'd be good to be able to run it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@soluslabs I am sure they can provide removal instructions/ scripts.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @aFriend said:
    To clarify personal use, i mean for not selling VPS but it does need to be performant as each of the VPS would contain front end web servers, with their own dedicated IP . I chose OpenVZ as I believe that since its not a true VM but a container - it will provide maximum utilization of machine resources. I think with Oracle Virtual Box, that is not the case as it is true VM if I am not mistaken. If the overhead is not too much, It'd be good to be able to run it.

How about LXC? It is also a container, with dedicate IP, with maximum utilization of resources, and it's integrated in modern kernels. I was using LXC to isolate different websites inside different containers and I felt so good.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @aFriend use the 'Use distribution kernel' option during install to get default centos kernel, installing vzkernel then works

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @aFriend said:
    I think with Oracle Virtual Box, that is not the case as it is true VM if I am not mistaken. If the overhead is not too much, It'd be good to be able to run it.

It is full virtualization, yes. But the overhead on the CPU and Ram is very, very minimal. You get almost host machine-level performance and your CPU/Ram use is rather minimal.

These 5 VMs are like 2~4 GB Ram each, and this is a Xeon X3450 Server.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • LXC - has always sounded great. I am not an expert in tradeoffs between LXC vs OpenVZ. Its just that I have my setup scripts, backup scripts etc already ready for OpenVZ (stabilized/optimized), and at the moment, resetting and switching to LXC is risky for my project at this time.

I appreciate your all helpfulness. For now, I was hoping the answer was as simple as "just yum uninstall 'a,b,c', then change this conf file, and solusvm is as good as not installed' :)

• Just stop/uninstall lighttpd, rm -rf /usr/local/solusvm/ and remove the cronjob configs and you are good to go.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @serverian said:
    Just stop/uninstall lighttpd, rm -rf /usr/local/solusvm/ and remove the cronjob configs and you are good to go.

Perfect! Thx!

• @Microlinux @jack said:
    What is the trouble you are having?

Here is what I get when I yum install vzkernel:

Installing : vzkernel-.6.32-042stab093.4.x86_64 >grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

And looking into /boot/grub/grub.conf - the new kernel is not installed. I have read somewhere that the default CentOS 6.5 kernel by OVH is actually customized.

Thx again. Couple of notes for anyone else trying the same: yum remove httpd mysql solusvm* (if you dont need these services)

@serverian said:
    Just stop/uninstall lighttpd, rm -rf /usr/local/solusvm/ and remove the cronjob configs and you are good to go.