Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget VPS for plex transcoding?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget VPS for plex transcoding?

Hey!

I'm currently looking for a lowend priced vps that allows plex transcoding.

I prefer locations on the west coast of the us.

hopefully looking to pay no more then $4 bucks a month.

I really look forward to the recommendations you guys throw out.

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2014

transcoding can be CPU intensive. When selecting a host, make sure to clear the cpu usage with them so you don't get suspended for abuse.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1336643 shows a $6.50/mo VPS but you can run the CPU up all day long. By the way this is in mid-US, not west coast.

• @rajprakash said:
    transcoding can be CPU intensive. When selecting a host, make sure to clear the cpu usage with them so you don't get suspended for abuse.

Yea im aware of that. Thats why im asking for some recommendations. I looked at abusive cores they are sold out

• Try abusivecore from @Drserver . You can use your cpu 24/7

Thanked by 1drserver
  • I run plex on my swiftwaycloud vps. I've never run into trouble.

I've noticed though that if the source video is mp4 there will be almost no cpu usage at all. If it's an avi you're looking at 90%+. Bitrate and resolution don't really make a difference.

• joereid said: I run plex on my swiftwaycloud vps. I've never run into trouble.

Which plan are you using?

• @seikan said:
    Which plan are you using?

The 500gb one from their $5/mo preorder deal from october.

• I'm currently looking into swiftway seems interesting. Does anyone else have recommendations?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I use an I3 from kimsufi for Plex and could not be more pleased with the results. It's over your budget, but just tossing that out there as I find it incredibly affordable for my primary media server.

• @Jar said:
    I use an I3 from kimsufi for Plex and could not be more pleased with the results. It's over your budget, but just tossing that out there as I find it incredibly affordable for my primary media server.

I'll have to think about switching to a kimsufi. I was planning on mounting my current storage vps located in LA and use it as a mapped drive