Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fileMEDIA accuses me of hacking and illegal activity, suspends server, denies refund - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

fileMEDIA accuses me of hacking and illegal activity, suspends server, denies refund

Comments

• ztec said: Although I really see your case and I feel you are in your right. It's still worth triple-checking if port scanning is allowed.

Agreed, next time try ticketing a question about it.

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Nyr probably has a fraudrecord post for sending spam now...

Haha, more than likely.

• AnthonySmith said: @Nyr probably has a fraudrecord post for sending spam now...

Well... he's earned one for port scanning. Just so long as they keep it entirely accurate, I don't see a problem.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2014

Rallias said: Well... he's earned one for port scanning. Just so long as they keep it entirely accurate, I don't see a problem.

Neither do I if they consider this warranted.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Rallias said:
    Well... he's earned one for port scanning. Just so long as they keep it entirely accurate, I don't see a problem.

Yeah not their style, I think if he was port scanning they would report him for charge backs or spam.

• AnthonySmith said: Yeah not their style, I think if he was port scanning they would report him for charge backs or spam.

No, for port scanning.

fileMEDIA said: No, for port scanning.

Be sure to point this wasn't specified in your TOS and I didn't cause any damage to any network :)

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited August 2014

That you done massive ports scans isn't true? I think you didn't deny it. You also don't said why you do that. Any explanation?

Sure, you caused blocked ip addresses which affects other customers:

62.113.205.219 was observed probing caltech.edu for security holes. It has been blocked at our border routers. It may be compromised.

We have blocked someone from your IP space for abuse. Reason: Port Scanning. Log lines are below. Time zone is UTC.

That is the last comment to that point. We don't support any illegal actions: We can reactivate the vps when you don't do any port scanning or the account will be suspended until the end of the contract time and no refund is possible.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch

§ 202c: Preparation of data espionage or data interception[edit]

Highly controversial, it outlaws the preparation of an act of data espionage (§ 202a) or data interception (§ 202b) by making, obtaining, selling, distributing (or otherwise committing or making accessible to others) 1) passwords or security codes to access data, or 2) computer programs whose purpose is to commit such an act.
    >

As the definition of a "program with the purpose of committing data espionage or data interception" is quite vague, there is a lot of debate how this new prohibition is to be handled in court, since software essential to system or network security might be seen to fall under this act as well. Too extensive an interpretation will surely collide with the freedom of exercise of occupation as well as the right to property (Articles 12 and 14 of the Basic Law).

edited August 2014

fileMEDIA said: That you done massive ports scans isn't true? I think you didn't deny it. You also don't said why you do that. Any explanation?

Depending on what you consider massive, but yeah, I don't deny I portscanned several networks for this specific port.

fileMEDIA said: We have blocked someone from your IP space for abuse. Reason: Port Scanning. Log lines are below. Time zone is UTC.

They blocked my IP? Fine, it was paid for during 11 months more, maybe even further if you didn't suspend the server.

fileMEDIA said: That is the last comment to that point. We don't support any illegal actions: We can reactivate the vps when you don't do any port scanning or the account will be suspended until the end of the contract time and no refund is possible.

As you should already suppose, I am not interested in doing any further business with you. You can keep both the IP space and my money, not going to chargeback or anything like that.

By the way, report me for fraud and whatever you want, but I didn't commit any fraud and this was clearly a misunderstanding.

• zephzeph Member

Lets take the German Wikipedia

Portscanner werden jedoch aktuell nicht als Computerprogramm zum Ausspähen von Daten nach § 202c StGB (Hackerparagraf) angesehen, da sie keine Sicherheitsmechanismen umgehen oder Daten abfangen

Loosly translated:

Portscanner do not count into § 202c, because they do not bypass security mechanism, or intercept data.

(But thats only an interpretation I think)

Thanked by 25n1p orak
  • LESLES Member

IP is already on several DNSBL http://blocklist.info?62.113.205.219

Thanked by 1orak
  • So why exactly were you portscanning external networks?

• Why do people keep referring to Wikipedia articles? Isn't it possible for everyone to edit them? Personally I wouldn't attach any value to those.

heiska said: So why exactly were you portscanning external networks?

Because I wanted to, out of curiosity and summer boredom. I don't think any kind of explanation is needed as long as I didn't do anything bad to anyone.

Thanked by 2chrisp NanoG6
  • lol port scanning is hacking? Since when is the internet so fucked up i cannot even run nmap on some hosts anymore. and wgetting a large file with 2 parallel connections is DDoS i guess.

But to be honest, if I would like to find out how many webservers are running on a specific ip range why shouldn't I be allowed to do that? I could ping them on port 80 for example. From which point on is this portscanning? If I automate it with a script or if I ping more than 5 hosts in 10 seconds? Seriously I don't get the point. Flooding one host is a different thing though, but checking ports on serveral machines, well.

• Nyr said: Because I wanted to, out of curiosity and summer boredom. I don't think any kind of explanation is needed as long as I didn't do anything bad to anyone.

Kids these days...

Thanked by 1Cakey
  • @heiska said:
    So why exactly were you portscanning external networks?

Why are you looking at many different random woman on the street when you have a wife? Explain yourself! This is ridiculous..

(of course the answer is "hey, come on, i was just checking". it's the same thing)

heiska said: Kids these days...

Lol

• zeph said: (But thats only an interpretation I think)

Of course, in America, the interpretation goes that portscanning is illegal because it's not authorized by the ToS of the target network.

Bottom line then, no law broken, no TOS/AUP broken.

It would have been appropriate for the host to ask you to stop but not suspend and take your money, Port Scanning is a grey area for sure but really not a case for termination without chance of refund, saying we don't refund is just stupid.

You probably should charge back.

As of not they have not created a fraudrecord report I will check daily for the next few weeks and let you know if they do @Nyr

Thanked by 3Nyr askance NanoG6
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited August 2014

It was previously listed, but was removed at 2014-08-14 14:14 GMT (48 minutes ago)

That's a little strange O.o

Honestly, this looks like a case of "did not ask, expected everything would be fine and it exploded in my face". Port scanning for something like vulnerable VNC ports on someone else's networks (and they did notice) isn't the greatest idea unless you're with a bulletproof host.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited August 2014

AnthonySmith said: Bottom line then, no law broken, no TOS/AUP broken.

Do you make german laws, i like it. I know that you don't love us.

It would have been appropriate for the host to ask you to stop but not suspend and take your money, Port Scanning is a grey area for sure but really not a case for termination without chance of refund, saying we don't refund is just stupid.

When you answer anything you should read the text. This was always offered to the customers as it is shown in the ticket screenshot before this thread. He don't want to stop port scanning.

Please stick to the truth.

AnthonySmith said: You probably should charge back.

Don't want to, even if I feel I'm on my right to do so.

AnthonySmith said: As of not they have not created a fraudrecord report I will check daily for the next few weeks and let you know if they do @Nyr

I appreciate this.

0xdragon said: That's a little strange O.o

I did request the removal, didn't want to cause any trouble.

0xdragon said: unless you're with a bulletproof host

Plenty of legitimate hosts allow this. Some don't just because they don't want to get spammed with automated abuse notices.

• Welcome to the LLC !!

LowEndTalk Lawyers Club

fileMEDIA said: Do you make german laws, i like it. I know that you don't love us.

Oh take your bunches down Shirley, you don't make them either, you do seem to have miss understood one of your own which is funny, sorry if you don't like people pointing that out.

I don't the way you abuse customers and other valuable resources that other hosts rely on, like that spam record you made that probably is against some German Laws in itself.

I did read the ticket, it was terrible, you claimed 3 different things every time he pointed out your terms/ AUP don't cover it and then he also pointed out the law you quoted has no bearing on things.

So again, bottom line, he used the VPS for something you do not allow but you also do not make it clear AT ALL that you do not allow it, not that you are saying you don't allow it retrospectively you are making this his problem and refusing to refund.

It is obvious, miss understanding caused by host, host is being precious about it and refuses to refund.

A better way of answering this and as I have myself in the past is: You are quite correct we have mot made it explicitly clear we do not allow XXX so I am happy to refund you for the remainder of your service, I will get the TOS/AUP updated to avoid further confusion.

There is also a Law in Germany regarding refunds that is related to unfair material gain, I will dig it out when I get a minute.

fileMEDIA said: He don't want to stop port scanning.

I wouldn't keep this activity even if you unsuspended. But I did request a refund and already explained why, which was denied even when I never behaved with bad intention.

You instead threatened to report me for fraud and didn't even try to understand this was only bad communication on both sides.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Sounds like punk kid stuff to me (port scanning). You know it, we all know it, and I'll be flamed because I'm not a cool kid here at LET. If you weren't up to no good you would have done it from your home internet connection instead.

• heiska said: So why exactly were you portscanning external networks?

This!

Thanked by 1marrco