Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to keep squirrels away from my ISP box on the pole? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to keep squirrels away from my ISP box on the pole?

2»

Comments

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

@skybucks100 said:

Yup, I've seen folks try it all. The electronic stuff is hit or miss and a pain (due to batteries).

Honestly, the BEST remedy I have personally ever seen is dog(s); 2 dogs any size (but preferably FAST and mixed with any form of terrier, LOL) will solve the squirrel problem (but potentially create others depending on your tolerance: i.e., maintenance, cost, noise, digging, poop). This is assuming that the box is not high up so that the squirrels can hop from the powerline down to the box.

It works best if they are "outside" dogs, i.e. fenced yard, decent climate, so they can stay outside 100%, especially at night. The dogs do learn to be silent eventually as they stalk their prey.

Without sounding like a broken record though: squirrels are smart and persistent .......... but dogs LIVE to catch squirrels, lol.

You get plenty of "damn nature, you SCARY" moments.

• @geekalot said:

>

Yeah, but the only problem I can see is that telephone poles are usually next to a road (at least, from my experience). Dogs + chasing things + next to a road, might not be a great combo.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

@skybucks100 said:

Agree, all depends on your setup. The dogs are perfect for protecting anything inside a fenced yard (like fruit trees) from the squirrels; as long as the squirrels don't have a path via the treetops, LOL.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

I think you're using the wrong picture of Butters for your avatar.

• dnwkdnwk Member

nitrosrt10 said: Reliance Broadband

Best viewed in IE 7 - 1024 x 768 resolution

Thanked by 1orak
  • the solution of @skybucks100 seems the best to me...

• Not even necessary to leave the squirrel house on the pole forever as it's not about the specific location, they are just looking for a ready made home. So if there is a tree, your house or something else near the pole, that should be fine as a location, too. They are not stupid, if there is a nice new home with some tasty food nearby (30-50 ft max from the pole), they will just go there and leave the old wire box alone anyway, just make sure they can easily find their new home.

If they don't find it by themselves within a few days (food inside remains untouched), mount the squirrel house temporarily to the pole 6 ft or so above ground (a cord, wire or duct tape is fine if nails or screws can't be used) so they can find it and move in. After a few days you can then remove it from the pole and mount it to a tree, your house or some other high place nearby and they will follow it. Just make sure that they have some food inside for the first few days and they will stay wherever you want them to be as long as you avoid loud/vibrating places like fan or a/c ducts nearby.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Pellet gun (.22 caliber pellet guns work great) then 22 Colibri (gunpowderless 22LR round that propelled from primer only) and 22 short are my favorite squirrel rounds. Colibris sound like a "louder" pellet gun and 22 shorts sound like a M80. If the area echos, it'll be louder. I would not recommend 22LR as the "crack" in the supersonic speeds is often heard by somebody with good ears which results in a phone call to police. The 3 recommended solutions can easily be explained as fireworks or tool/construction noise.

Also if you pick up the empty cartridge, there's no crime unless a witness.

• Squirrel houses are the dumbest idea in the world

• Teach the Squirrels English and politely ask them to stop chewing through the wires, but don't teach them too much, they might try and take over the world.

• No one seems to have noticed that the guy is in India. Sorry, he can't buy guns to shoot the squirrels and most of your amazon links are not going to work for him either.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

But there are cats in India too, as well as dogs. It may work also with cat pee, put on the pole at the base. I had a little perly mouse in the food storage and didnt want to let the cat in or kill the mouse, so i put only a bit of paper soaked in it's pee and the mouse no longer came.

• Squirrel house squirrel house squirrel house squirrel house !

• Abdussamad said: No one seems to have noticed that the guy is in India

You're the one who brought it up

• Thanks you guys for all your inputs :)
    I will try to make a nice house for them squirrels and try some of that spices thing and even the cat pee thing lol. I tried sneaking in a few naphthalene balls in the box but it didn't worked, damn squirrels were all over it. for now I have placed nuts near the pole to distract them from the box.

Will update with what worked best for me.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited August 2014

doughmanes said: You're the one who brought it up

The OP brought it up by linking to his Indian ISP

@nitrosrt10 I think you should coat the wires with rat poison. That will teach the squirrels a thing or two. Another option is to do things the south asian way and bribe the ISP's workers to fix things permanently. Leave it to them to figure out what to do.

• pepper spray ( or similar taste repellents) on the wires would deter them chew the wires. bribe the isp tech guy to help insulate the wires with a pvc pipe and cover with soft insulation material.