Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start up own VPN company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Start up own VPN company

Hi guys, what is your opinion is there a good business case for start up my own VPN company at this moment.

Comments

• No. Just look at all the troubles vpn.sh goes through.

• Trust me, I've done the research and it's a heap of trouble that you don't want to jump into.

• Be friend with the NSA, DMCA first.

• Chuck said: DMCA first.

only for us companies tho

• ankittulsianankittulsian Member
    edited August 2014

If you just want to provide a VPN service to bypass Geo / ISP based restriction then you will be safe. It all depends on your target customers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It is a viable market if done right, just offering VPN connections wont be an overnight success though.

Also from the look of it PayPal are stamping on VPN providers so that makes it a bit more of a problem.

• AnthonySmith said: Also from the look of it PayPal are stamping on VPN providers so that makes it a bit more of a problem.

On what grounds are they doing this?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

Ask vpn.sh
    @liamwithers got stomped by paypal and look where that business is going now. :(

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

First thing to setup is an abuse email and SWIPed IP's! I used to let my friends use my VPN for torrents at uni and they generated quite a few abuse emails for my £30 a year VPS :(

• @MikHo said:
    Ask vpn.sh
    liamwithers got stomped by paypal and look where that business is going now. :(

Don't forget to ask how he managed to negotiate and have another PayPal account.

• RolterRolter Member
    edited August 2014

@kcaj said:
    On what grounds are they doing this?

Not that i am a fan of paypal ..

Its a private company , and really don't need a reason to not provide you their services ...

• I thought about this too.

is it really that troublesome, actually for torrents vpn providers are asking to use certain countries like NL, Canada , Russia etc.. ( is this right) and regular US hosts for general vpn. So why do people use vpn other than simple Geo unlocking , also which one people prefer, what server software is needed to run a vpn server. do they run different software for each protocol

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@slicebox said:
    I thought about this too.

is it really that troublesome, actually for torrents vpn providers are asking to use certain countries like NL, Canada , Russia etc.. ( is this right) and regular US hosts for general vpn.

You won't be able to just trust that clients will only use certain locations for things like that. You'll have to actively make a stance to prevent torrenting in locations where you don't want torrenting to occur.

So why do people use vpn other than simple Geo unlocking ,

Generally just keeping themselves safer online, public WiFi hotspots, and you'll find that some countries seem to have a higher level of interest in their online security than others.

also which one people prefer, what server software is needed to run a vpn server. do they run different software for each protocol

Plenty of info on this around the web, there's a few different methods you could go by, but the common denominator across most methods is to use RADIUS for authorisation.

• Thanks Liam, true that clients cannot be trusted to use only certain locations for torrents, and even heard that it is very difficult to filter torrents , only it can be reduced to certain extent.

• ankittulsianankittulsian Member
    edited August 2014

@slicebox said:
    Thanks Liam, true that clients cannot be trusted to use only certain locations for torrents, and even heard that it is very difficult to filter torrents , only it can be reduced to certain extent.

Don't provide VPN service in a country which has strong piracy laws mainly US.

• @slicebox said:
    Thanks Liam, true that clients cannot be trusted to use only certain locations for torrents, and even heard that it is very difficult to filter torrents , only it can be reduced to certain extent.

I'm sure with iptables you can find a way to restrict torrent traffic

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What are you going to do that others are not already doing?

That's the question you need to answer.

You need to have crackerjack Windows desktop developers on staff, btw. Have you ever written a Windows VPN client? Because that's what people expect. Many services out there where you can purchase the service and they provide a nice desktop client that installs, allows you to toggle/select endpoint in the tray, has a host of features, etc.

If you expect people to follow some OpenVPN tutorial you wrote...forget it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • There is something i have in mind very specific to VPN that i have not seen in any provider yet. It is to do with networking, cannot say in public yet. Desktop / Mobile client for just click to connect VPN , yes would need a developer to work on initially. but doubt it needs a dedicated team on site.

• Needed a deep pocket for open VPN company.. :)

• In special for lawyer costs. VPS is BOUND to cause issues at one point, if you are not prepared for this they will fuck you over (in special in the US and UK)

• @pandelov said:
    Hi guys, what is your opinion is there a good business case for start up my own VPN company at this moment.

Hmm.. some good business cases, you may want to search in the forum first.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10935/starting-a-vpn-company

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/25763/running-a-vpn-company-and-received-a-dmca-today-what-should-i-do

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/5503/what-do-i-need-to-start-a-vpn-business

And where is the OP now?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

We've seen a lot of VPN companies start and die, and a few stick around for a long time. The ones that stick around seem to have a lawyer on retainer and fire off prompt legal responses on legal letterhead to any complaints, to which no further follow up ever seems to occur. If you're running a VPN business just make sure you have the legal budget to;
    a. keep from being shut off by your host.
    b. keep complainants from thinking you're an easy target or somehow liable for the actions of your users.

The VPN business isn't suited to low budgets and low expertise.

• this only makes me think that, major amount of vpn being used for non standard purposes

• Finding the right people who have wholesale server farm space to joint venture with is a good way to go in the case of how to offset the cost and still launch a successful offer. There is no shame in white Label VPS brokers. Take a name YURVPSNAME.COM and resell.

There are ways to do it. VPS reseller panels etc. It can be done. Seen and structured VOIP, DNS, HOSTING, Media Casting, DID Numbers. Anyone can be in those business. If you remember MCI Friends and Family Long distance Referral Program tghen you see how anyone can sell anything to anyone. Services like VPS - Hosting - Voice - Satellite, anyone can make a deal happen if the business case warrants it. So go ahead open a vps service. Thinking outside of the box and asking the NOC for inventory rates wholesale, it could well be worth your while.