Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OldNode Hosting, Coming Soon :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OldNode Hosting, Coming Soon :)

TACServersTACServers Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

I've been waiting until Summer is over to post these up and it seems that more and more kids are going back to school, so I am about ready to see what happens. Looking to offer up a limited number per week, about 20 a week or so. Any interest? Pricing will be $4 Monthly, $10 Quarterly, $32 Annual for this plan. Simply looking for feedback. Will be on a 100mbit port, excellent peering and transit. 40% of RAM on node reserved for FS caching. Ideal for offsite monitoring, US VPN, web hosting, offsite DNS, etc.

Location: Denver, CO, 2 Cores, 128MB, 20GB Disk, 100GB Transfer

root@smaug:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
Number of cores : 2
CPU frequency : 1861.888 MHz
Total amount of ram : 128 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 38 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 11.2MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.5MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.7MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.17MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.39MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 9.87MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.7MB/s
I/O speed : 457 MB/s
root@smaug:~#

Comments

• $10 quarterly => 4x$10=$40 yearly price.

So paying yearly doesn't come with any discount? Quarterly payment then =]

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I don't get it, are you selling wget tests or what?

Thanked by 2switsys tux
  • @perennate said:
    I don't get it, are you selling wget tests or what?

I think he's selling 128MB VPS on 100Mbit port on a 8 year old CPU for $40/year. Brave man!

• @khuongcomputer, Thanks for the feedback. Yearly will be $32 now, to accommodate for an additional discount for yearly purchase, essentially 4 months off. I am not a fan of yearly billing myself, and I might not even offer an annual paid plan do to the abuses that I have witnessed from both sides on annual paid plans.

@perennate, This would be a 128MB, 20GB Disk, 100GB Transfer OVZ VPS. It is a paste of what seems to be the more common method of testing VPS here, and as a member with over 1,000 comments, I would expect that you'd know that.

• 100mbit per VPS or per node?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

cncking2000 said: This would be a 128MB, 20GB Disk, 100GB Transfer OVZ VPS. It is a paste of what seems to be the more common method of testing VPS here, and as a member with over 1,000 comments, I would expect that you'd know that.

I would expect that you'd know that the benchmark doesn't show the disk or bandwidth allocation :)

• $32 /year for 128mb of ram on a E5320 ? is this is joke or are you being serious?

• @perennate, I have not settled on what they will be exactly, you made me do it :)

@linuxthefish, Per VPS, Nodes are connected via 2x Gigabit.

@serverian, Brave? Maybe. Need offsite DNS, small sites, backup MX etc? These are not meant for building/compiling, massive BW consumption or general abuse. This is the meaning of LEB right? If others can run 100K+ visitor sites on these nodes, so can you :) I have a few racks worth of these servers sitting around from an upgrade to our Hyper-V infrastructure, and instead of throwing them out, we recycle. Look at it this way, I can't cram many people per node with this stuff. Everyone has to start somewhere, and while it isn't the newest, latest, and greatest, we own it.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

cncking2000 said: 128MB, 20GB Disk, 100GB Transfer OVZ VPS.

@KuJoe offers a far better deal than you are offering, 128MB RAM/Swap, 10GB of disk, 500GB of bandwidth, 1 cpu, 1 ip and a /64 for $15 dollars a year.

• Yea but why would I get one from you, when I can get a 128MB for $15/yr from a more reputable source?

• cncking2000 said: This is the meaning of LEB right?

Once upon a time, it was. Now, the meaning is the most resources for the lowest price.

• said: excellent peering and transit

What datacenter are you using?

Thanked by 1eric1212
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited August 2014

$4 monthly for 128mb lol, I can get a 1GB ram KVM machine from @MCHPhil for that.

@serverian said:
    Once upon a time, it was. Now, the meaning is the most resources for the lowest price.

Or rather, the best bang for your buck.

• @matthewvz, not the same level of service, but a better deal none-the-less. If I were to be renting servers from other providers, I could do the same. I am local to their Denver DC with Handynetworks, and I know from what pricing I was told, that per node, there would have to be close to 250 clients per node to break even. I am not trying to get anywhere close to that density per node, more opportunity to break things.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

cncking2000 said: This is the meaning of LEB right

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 2010 called they said they want to buy your VPS, then late 2011 called and said we cancelled.

I respect your want to enter the market but you need a USP or dont expect to sell 20.. ever, never mind per week.

• @cncking2000 said:
    matthewvz, not the same level of service, but a better deal none-the-less. If I were to be renting servers from other providers, I could do the same. I am local to their Denver DC with Handynetworks, and I know from what pricing I was told, that per node, there would have to be close to 250 clients per node to break even. I am not trying to get anywhere close to that density per node, more opportunity to break things.

LET simply doesn't care how much people you cram into a node, as long as it functions.

• @QuadraNet_Adam, ViaWest DC's at Wazee, Champa, and Arapahoe.

@rajprakash, Been doing this locally as a business for 10 years. Reputation on LET aside, I am trying to provide a reasonable service. Anyone can cram 200 clients per node.

@Floris, I am sure that @MCHPhil would love to have you as a client given your positive review. Would you like me to send him your regards?

cncking2000 said: 250 clients per node to break even

On a $50 p/month server?

Please, stop, think, talk to some people, realign your expectations and try again, honestly you are just way off the mark here with your prices, your packages and your bad information.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Floris Yeah, but you know what happens when it dosen't function?, LET turns into Helpdesk and we get tons of dramathreads.

• @AnthonySmith, http://www.handynetworks.com/services/self-managed-dedicated/ As well as talking to Jay. You find some decent hardware on that list that is only $50 a month, and I will order it. If your suggesting that I get the $50 a month Atom server to run a VPS node, I am quite puzzled by your recommendation.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2014

Reputable providers with excellent product:

Crissic - 15$ per year 512 OVZ 1TB traffic

Inception - €1.49 p/month 128 MB 128 Swap Xen PV

Ramnode - 128 MB 64 swap 12GB RAID10 SSD $15/yr

Prometeus IWstack - 2.7€ 256MB ram KVM 1TB traffic

Just to mention some (there are tons of more with excellent products)

So, why do we should wait until summer is over (!!!!) to buy from you for 4$ per month, having no reputation at all, high prices and a weird business model?

(BTW, this should be in offers, not in providers)

• @jvnadr, This is not an offer. This is an attempt to reach out to LET users as a provider, hence posting in the provider section. Sorry we are not for you.

• What's the ASN for this network?

Just because they are charging over the odds and you are willing to pay more than you need to for an E5320 does not mean people here (especially here) will.

Ah never mind... best of luck.

Thanked by 1Toadyus
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited August 2014

@cncking2000 said:
    Sorry we are not for you.

Then who are you for? LET does not buy these kind of packages, heck they already think $6 for 2gb is too much on OpenVZ. Look, give me a reason why I should choose you over, lets say http://dirtcheap.ninja/ from @drserver their blue ninja? They provide waý more for less, way less on freakin' Xen. About $2,20 a month for 10gb more disk than you offer, Plus it's on Xen instead of OpenVZ (the os known for overselling resources up to 3x (some even more)). Now I haven't even spoke about the hardware (quality, age) but I'm pretty sure drservers hardware is better.

Now, I've wasted enough time on this thread already, you know how the majority of your (targeted) customer base will react, now either be stupid enough to push through, or be smart and reconsider your business plan.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Welcome to LET @OP.

How it works here:

• Offer the most resources with the largest E-PEEN "bench"mark at the lowest price.

A good place to start, is the "Offers" page. Ask yourself "Do I offer something much better than all these hosts?" If the answer is no, ask yourself "Is my plan much cheaper than all these hosts?" If the answer is also no, then LET doesn't care (sadly.)

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited August 2014

@AnthonySmith, I own this hardware, your right, I'd have to be nuts to rent them.

@Floris, The only thing that I can say about us is this. We have older nodes, that's obvious. They are stocked with 32GB RAM, and 4x SAS disks. We only commit 12-16GB of RAM on these nodes, to allow the node OS to use the remaining 16-20GB of RAM for caching the Filesystem. With OpenVZ virtualization, we see great results with this method. I could double the client per node, and half the price, but at what loss? All servers are monitored for CPU utilization, none exceed a load average of 8 for over 5 minutes. We do on-line migrations of VPS's all the time to mitigate these issues. Besides the old CPU's, all other resources are essentially dedicated. There are reasons people choose to shop somewhere other than Walmart, even though they are known for selling more for less. Your opinions are appreciated, but to call someone out as stupid for trying? Really? OpenVZ is a form of OS Virtualization, not an actual OS, and it has nothing to do with overselling. The server administrator is in control of that aspect. What's going on with BeastVM? I'm not looking to expand my current business, only to let personal issues take it down either. Gotta make a living somehow, have to pay people somehow. I apologize profusely for owning my own hardware, a lease paid in full, and otherwise just letting what's idle, idle away. I'll go back to renting a Dedi from the cheapest provider, and watching it all blow up in my face. Oh, wait, I did that already, in 2007 with FDC prior to their first ever expansion. When you can't get your hands on the problem (server/node failure), the problem is out of your hands.

@Floris said:
    ...Plus it's on Xen instead of OpenVZ (the os known for overselling resources up to 3x (some even more)).

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • I'm pretty sure SecureDragon in Denver is at the same DC as you. For $15/year.

It doesn't matter if you don't fill the node up or own it, no one here pays $4 for 128MB of RAM.

• You know what I don't understand ... is in your original comment you said :

said: Simply looking for feedback

and yet, when virtually everyone here posts their opinion, you dismiss their comments or argue with them. Why didn't you just post this in "Offers" and see how many people actually purchase your service if you aren't really interested in feedback.