Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this normal response from a sales support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this normal response from a sales support?

stallionstallion Member
edited August 2014 in General

I wanted to buy a dedicated server for installing cpanel. I sent an email to a sales support of a company. Because I sell webhosting so I also asked about the price of IP addresses
These were my questions.
These emails contain many things which aren't directly related to the problem but I am including everything because I want you to tell me why the support guy felt that I am a potential spammer.

I want to install cloudlinux + cpanel .
I see you are giving two disks with this. Can I set automatic backups. I mean one disk should run automatically backup the other one.
Where is the server located?
Are you running any special offer or a coupon code etc so that I can get a further discount on this?
Can I buy more IPs how much for aditional IPs?
If I order today when will my server be ready?**

Do you see anything wrong with these questions? Only problem is I belong to a third world country. But I feel the support team responded in a very bad way.

**Our website has our lowest possible prices. Our datacenter is located in Kansas City, Missouri, USA.

We would be glad to deploy a dedicated server for you. CloudLinux is not one of our support OS's, but you could order a Dual Xeon 5639 with IPMI turned on and install that OS yourself.

Additional IPs are available with justification. The monthly cost of additional IPs are:
/29 8 ips (5 Usable) - $8
/28 16 ips (13 Usable) - $16
/27 32 ips (29 Usable) - $32

_We have a strict policy of not allowing commercial mass email marketing servers. Using the network IPs for sending mass email will result in immediate termination with no refunds.
_

Please complete your order online and then login to the client portal to open a support ticket requesting additional IPs. We will send you a justification form to complete and, upon verification, issue and invoice and allocate additional IPs to your server.

We'd be glad to setup a new server for you. For a full list of available servers, please visit:
LINK

Complete your order online today, we will have your new server deployed within 1-2 business days.

Read the sentences in italic which have clear threat of termination. Although I am new in the industry but I currently have a dedicated server from another provider. Once one of the client was spamming and the dedicated server company suspended his IP address but didn't terminate my account.
I was dishearted by this response because I didn't understand why these people are assuming that I am signing up for spam.
Do you think a it is ok for hosting companies to threat potential customers like this?
My problem is that if I am hosting 300 clients on this server and they terminate my account because one client supposedly spammed, what will I do then?

I replied them in following words.

I am trying to run a business and hundreds of cpanel accounts will be hosted on the dedicated server. Offcource I understand email spam is against the law and it is not my intention to use the server for spamming. Since you have threatened me with immediate account suspension in your first support email so it is a big turn off and red flag for me. Why do you assume that I am signing up only to spam? What do you call "mass email marketing"?**

I never got a reply from them again.

Comments

• I had to read your post three times before I figured out what you were trying to say in your emails - it would probably help if you broken your original email up into blocks instead of lumping everything together in a structureless paragraph.

As a general rule, you may be asked to provide justification for additional IPs, that depends on the provider. I do not believe the provider had malice when stating spammers get terminated, it is likely in their ToS or AUP.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited August 2014

In most cases more than 8 ip's requires a justification form to be completed.

• Thanks everybody. I will signup with them and see how it goes.

• @stallion: Yeah, check them out. I think the sales rep's response was fair and has nothing to do with your location. With the increasing amount of IP Abusers nowadays, many hosts will forewarn clients who sign up (yes, sometimes the client's location does matter).

• ATHKATHK Member

@stallion said:
    Thanks everybody. I will signup with them and see how it goes.

I think it's fair, but if it's such a red flag for you, why are you even signing up.. I don't understand that logic at all.

Thanked by 2Mark_R geekalot
  • @ATHK said:
    I think it's fair, but if it's such a red flag for you, why are you even signing up.. I don't understand that logic at all.

They are one of the cheapest hosts in the market.

• ATHKATHK Member

@stallion said:

Sometimes being a cheapskate bites you in the arse...

Thanked by 1jar
  • @stallion said:

Spend more and you'll get better quality support.

• MSPNick said: Spend more and you'll get better quality support.

Sometimes there are no money enough to spend more. So, in some cases, people is trying to do his job with less, because he cannot afford more... It is always a risk...

• @stallion There are a lot of ways to minimize the danger clients of yours do spamming. Restrict or block ports, monitor traffic etc. If it is a low budget server, they will probably do have more restrict policies and the guy in support just warned you about that. Lower costs means less money for support (that includes cleaning ip's etc.). I do not see anything bad in their response, it is professional IMO.

Also, if you use this server for selling host accounts, you should always have a backup system and a ready to deploy server, if anything goes wrong. You should have a ready to go system to move clients in minutes, if this is possible, to avoid angry customers. It is very hard to build a reputation and it is very easy to destroy one...

• Low prices and low-quality support are now always in parallel. Many providers that I know of offer relatively low prices (Not OVH and kimsufi low prices, but reasonbly low when compared to Rackspace and SoftLayer), yet their support is top-notch. For example, DediServe, Linode, Vultr, ColoCrossing (Yes, I do honestly believe that CC's support is very good)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2014

yes.

The problem is for every genuine request you get that includes a request for lots of IP's you get 5 more which are obviously for spamming 'marketing' so people tend to be a bit defensive these days.

It is clearly an unmanaged service and you have kind of asked them to explain how raid works or give you info on the specifics on how you can manage your own backups right from the get go, this usually spells, 'wants unmanaged prices but also wants OS level support.'

So not pointing a finger but there is a reason you got the response you got, it is a fair response, my suggestion based on your experience level is you look in to a mail relay service and relay all email traffic that way you remove the risk of termination when you get a spammer signing up (when not if).

Thanked by 2rds100 Abdussamad

• It's perfectly normal.

If you're that sensitive, as to take offense by their response, I think you shouldn't be in this game at all.

And it's only a matter of time before you get your first abusive client.

• wychwych Member

Yes.

• switsys said: VPSBoard

Is this formatting allowed?

• It sounds like an unmanaged server is going to be a disaster for you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: Yeah, check them out. I think the sales rep's response was fair and has nothing to do with your location. With the increasing amount of IP Abusers nowadays, many hosts will forewarn clients who sign up (yes, sometimes the client's location does matter).

It does not matter here (the location), but when the customer asks about extra IPs over 4 i do warn them. We dont do the justification form, but we terminate in a couple of hours, many times, and IPs are sold annually even for monthly plans, except for old customers in good standing.

• It has not much to do with your location, Its a usual reply if the client asks for more then 5 IP's . Since Ip are short and cleaning the Blacklisted IP is a lot of task.