Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most popular virtualization - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most popular virtualization

2»

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I don't understand why judge a virtualization platform from the easy of overselling. You can run stable efficient and optimized openvz servers or you can run a bad xen or kvm server.
    VMware which I know very well make it super easy to "oversell " everything still it's very appreciated... The good or bad of each virtualization is how is implemented and managed. :-)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I completly agree with @prometeus . Generally Xen and KVM can overcommit memory as well.

There was a great webinar about that 2 months ago (overcommitment and stability of the oversold nodes, as well as performance), I will try and get a link to it and post it in here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I also agree with prometeus. It matters more the man than the resources. Some ppl can do good and stable nodes while overcomitting while others cant manage well half empty nodes...
    M

• @prometeus said: I don't understand why judge a virtualization platform from the easy of overselling. You can run stable efficient and optimized openvz servers or you can run a bad xen or kvm server.

VMware which I know very well make it super easy to "oversell " everything still it's very appreciated... The good or bad of each virtualization is how is implemented and managed. :-)

For newbie hosts who want to get into the VPS market to make a buck, OpenVZ is easy to setup and deploy and oversell. It's the path of least resistance. VMWare, Xen and KVM might actually require some technical knowledge....

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jshinkle said: Never have had an issue with our Xen kernels. Everything has been pretty stable with them.

I want to say it was my hardware, but really? Dual Opteron 2350's that would run for months with the ovz kernel. I also run ksplice on everything for the past couple of years and Xen was the only thing ksplice had to patch and have me reboot, funny when ksplice support requests a reboot to fix their rebootless service ;)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LiquidHost said: Generally Xen and KVM can overcommit memory as well.

And they can all overcommit on I/O :-)

I do Xen at work and had without ksplice 290 days uptime recently. Bad luck, power down for more than 4 hours in the night ended that...
    However, having 100 VMs on a node is completely different from just under 10 servers. With eNS tho had also months of uptime and it was a Xen.
    M

• ChanChan Member

I think the problem with OpenVZ is that it has been given a bad name by all of those Newbie hosts who oversells. OpenVZ is something anyone can setup and sell easily without having any knowledge about how to host. I'd much rather host with a host who does Xen or KVM as I think they are more likely to know what they are doing compared to OpenVZ only hosts. I think for providers hosting Xen or KVM is a good way to prove to your customers that you actually know how to host

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@raindog308 said: And they can all overcommit on I/O

Generally, most providers under build their disk subsystem though.

edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: enerally, most providers under build their disk subsystem though.

Yeah, for many storage is just a number to put in their offer in terms of capacity.
    The crucial part for a speedy VM is not the CPU nor the BW (asuming those are even below average in the market), but the storage.
    Everyone with some experience in virtualization knows this, making a good VM starts from storage and that is the most expensive investment in hardware...
    If you have poor storage and provide swap of some kind, even if you dont oversell much, then it is going to be, if not dead soon, at least devoid of customers.
    M

• TazTaz Member

@Chan -> Burstnet only started offering Xen about 3-6 months ago. Before that they only had OVZ(I think), so you are saying they do not know anything about VPS? Pehleaaassseee.

• @miTgiB yes really. =).

• ChanChan Member

@NinjaHawk
    Yes but I trust them because they do other stuff such as Managed Servers and Colocation. I probably won't trust them if all they do is OvZ VPSes

• OpenVZ is popular.. KVM getting popular... xen going down..

Thanked by 1eastonch
    edited June 2012

@peppr said: OpenVZ is popular.. KVM getting popular... xen going down..

So true... I am serious asking myself why ppl prefer KVM over Xen, but one thing is certain, KVM will not replace OVZ and Xen wont disappear,
    M

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: I am serious asking myself why ppl prefer KVM over Xen

Because if you are a RedHat guy (or any derivative) KVM is mainstream on 6, xen isn't. All the xen box I have are debian based (wheezy the latest with 3.x kernel and xen 4), and I use xen on debian since so many year that I don't remember.
    When I had the need for a vm xen has been my virtualizaton of choice (I still write xm console when I work on an OpenVZ node :-) ).

But when I had to choose a platform for the Budget market OpenVz was my first bet and since we had used RHEV for our corporate users and wanted to stay with rh/centos 6 kvm was my second bet :-)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Maounique

Aha, thank you for the explanation, wasnt expecting such a reason tho... Nothing wrong with it, but I was thinking more like features, drivers, resources, implementation in various general virtualization panels and such...
    Thank you again, at least now I have a clue.
    M

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

Kvm- install any Linux os from CD. No need to modify or create something like xen templates.

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@NinjaHawk said: Kvm- install any Linux os from CD. No need to modify or create something like xen templates.

Ehm... You can also install any os on Xen too, also from images. There can be templates also for fast deployment, but you can still install your own OS, no matter which kind. I installed kolibri once, ReactOS, many others, there are sometimes problems with the virtual hardware, but not often and can be solved (usually).
    M