Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Software RAID and hard drive failure - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Software RAID and hard drive failure

2»

Comments

• dnwkdnwk Member

Matrix Storage Manager. Is it a Software Raid or hardware Raid

• jbiloh said: I am a huge supporter of Western Digital drives. We have tens of thousands of them, and reliability with the RE4's has been superb. Seagate's we avoid like the plague.

Exact same thoughts here. Before the flooding in Thailand, Seagate drives had a very high failure rate; Recently I've heard they've gotten better. I've had 2x 1TB WD Black in RAID 1 for a year now with no issues, and these drives are over 30,000 power-on-hours from prior usage. Samsung drives have been good to me too, with an HD501LJ currently sitting at 38,790 PoH and returning no errors.

• @dnwk said:
    Matrix Storage Manager. Is it a Software Raid or hardware Raid

Software, obviously. At best it's fakeraid, which is still software.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@CharlesA said:
    Software, obviously. At best it's fakeraid, which is still software.

How well does it performance compare to Linux Software RAID

• smansman Member
    edited August 2014

Inadequate cooling will kill your drives a LOT faster than anything else. You can check the temperature from command line using smartd. Do it when the drives are busy.

smartctl -a /dev/sda

Also if the drives are not mounted or in a small case that can get kicked easily or whatever the slightest bump causes them to exceed their shock rating. I've seen brand new modern drives dies quit easily that way. I'm not assuming you are doing something stupid like that but.....just sayin.

• @dnwk said:
    How well does it performance compare to Linux Software RAID

No idea as I don't use it, but it should be similar.

• There was some supermicro chassis that was causing too much vibrations and killing hard drives. Don't remember the model, but i remember reading some thread about it.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@sman said:

Also if the drives are not mounted or in a small case that can get kicked easily or whatever the slightest bump causes them to exceed their shock rating. I've seen brand new modern drives dies quit easily that way. I'm not assuming you are doing something stupid like that but.....just sayin.

It probably is. I just put it in the bay