Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ not reporting Buffers/Cache RAM anymore.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ not reporting Buffers/Cache RAM anymore.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited September 2011 in Help

So I have 2 servers I am monitoring with SCRD and after about 24 hours I notice the RAM goes to 0. I login to the servers and I noticed that the "-/+ buffers/cache" line always shows 0 meaning the VPS is no longer reporting and buffered/cached RAM (or is no longer buffering/caching it). Any ideas why this might be? I have a few VPSs that have been up for 10+ days that are reporting correctly and I have some KVM VPSs on the same hardware reporting fine also. It's not a big deal but I was curious if anybody had some answers before I start hacking away at my status page code.

Comments

• fanovpnfanovpn Member
    edited September 2011

Do you mean your OpenVZ servers are host nodes, or virtual environments/VPSs? If they're VPSs, are they the newer VSWAP kind?

I don't think OpenVZ ever reported buffers, caches, etc. inside the virtual environment before VSWAP, did it? And is the problem that SCRD is reporting 0 RAM usage overall, or is it just the buffers/cache report which is now zeroed out. If it's the full RAM usage showing 0, the buffers/cache line also being 0 might not be related to the SCRD problem?

• Is it just the status page or free -m/etc reporting 0mb used?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The OpenVZ VPSs are not the vSwap kind. They normally show the correct RAM usage but now when I use the status page or free -m, the buffers/cache line is 0. I checked other OpenVZ VPSs and the buffers/cache line matches the first line in terms of used and free RAM.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I should point out that a reboot fixes the issue, but rebooting my servers every 24 hours is not an idea solution since one of the VPSs is an internal server for reporting/monitoring.