Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About Load Average in OpenVZ, is it for my VPS or the entire node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question About Load Average in OpenVZ, is it for my VPS or the entire node?

HybridHybrid Member
edited August 2014 in Help

Hello,

I just have a quick question,

one of my OpenVZ VPS shows a high load average when I run "Top", but it seems my processes are barely consuming processor power.

So my question is, is the Load Average showed in Top in OpenVZ for the entire node or just my vps?

top - 14:25:20 up 8 days, 22:51,  1 user,  load average: 20.99, 15.95, 13.59
Tasks:  86 total,   2 running,  84 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu0  :  0.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 92.9%id,  7.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu1  :  3.0%us,  1.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 89.9%id,  6.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu2  :  4.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 85.9%id, 10.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu3  :  1.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 85.9%id, 13.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   6291456k total,  1618436k used,  4673020k free,        0k buffers
Swap:  6291456k total,   238900k used,  6052556k free,   143424k cached

Comments

• looks like someone is overloading the CPU to fuck. GVH maybe?

• if that is a top from a vps the node load may be higher than you imagine

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

said: So my question is, is the Load Average showed in Top in OpenVZ for the entire container or just my vps?

Please note that "container" is usually another term for VPS. The main server is often referred to as "node" (OpenVZ terminology) or "host" (KVM/Xen) or "compute" (OpenStack) etc.

If you see do not see any heavy process(es) running on your VPS, then most likely the main node is over-sold, or it could be possible at that time some another VPS is running I/O heavy app resulting in heavy load on the node, which ultimately will slow down I/O access for you, and thus you find a high load value in your VPS as well.

• @noosVPS said:
    If you see do not see any heavy process(es) running on your VPS, then most likely the main node is over-sold, or it could be possible at that time some another VPS is running I/O heavy app resulting in heavy load on the node, which ultimately will slow down I/O access for you, and thus you find a high load value in your VPS as well.

Thanks I fixed the title

@TarZZ92 said:
    looks like someone is overloading the CPU to fuck. GVH maybe?

It's hostUS, this is the 2nd time it happens in the last 7 days, I thought it was mine at first, but i guess it's for the entire node.

• 13.1%wa

The IO wait on the node is high, therefore it's affecting your VPS's processing capacity, therefore causing the high load.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@noosVPS said:

This. Most likely. Network traffic can cause load that may not always be obvious in "top" but yeah most likely an abusive container or fifty on the node.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jonnathon said:

Could you submit a ticket so I can check that out please?

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited August 2014

@TarZZ92

CPU, IO, and NETWORK PORT RESOURCE USAGE

8a. GreenValueHost employs a "fair share" CPU, IO, and network port usage policy for it's virtual private server (VPS) and shared web hosting services. "Fair usage" is defined as "normal and acceptable usage throughout online connectivity duration with significant usage spikes in rare to seldom occurrance".

8b. GreenValueHost shall be the sole arbitrator as to what is and what is not "fair usage". If your account is deemed to violate our fair usage policy, you may be asked to reduce your activity to the level of "fair usage" or upgrade to a dedicated server.

It wouldn't work out here.

• @serverian said:
    The IO wait on the node is high, therefore it's affecting your VPS's processing capacity, therefore causing the high load.

13.1% probably isn't high enough to cause loads like that. But it could be much higher on the node itself if the OP isn't performing many disk operations. Spikes to 13% could happen on a normal basis without any noticeable load depending on what is going through the system.

• wb Jon.

• Vdnet 13% is roughly 1 full core from an 8 core machine. Assuming the container is using that core its possible

• @vdnet said:

Easily possible actually. wa% is incredibly destructive to blocking I/O, where literally everything STOPS DOING ANYTHING until the I/O goes through. Lots of standard processes require blocking I/O at some point in their operation, causing lots of problems if your disks are dirt slow or overloaded.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited August 2014

@exussum said:
    Vdnet 13% is roughly 1 full core from an 8 core machine. Assuming the container is using that core its possible

Well it was 13% from one core. Not the entire machine. But what I was getting at is that the IO wait is most likely much higher on the node itself. SATA machines on a normal basis show spikes of CPU waits to 10% but don't go up to 20 load on a 4 CPU machine because of it.