Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with IP spoofing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with IP spoofing

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited August 2014 in Requests

I am currently looking for a VPS provider, or VPS on a network that allows for IP spoofing (global, not internal). The only Host that I know that allows this (although there are probably many) is Ecatel.

This VPS will be used only for legitimate testing of algorithms between your network and a second network - our network. Where permission to test has been obtained (if necessary). Network traffic will not exceed 1mbit/10kPPS under all situations.

Anyone able to help out, or know a VPS provider hosted at Ecatel?

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• Are people actually allowed to DDOS themselves?

I know it is a weird question but if you are running a VPS and you kept attacking even your home internet, that would be slowing all your VPS neighbors down right?

• You can do this anywhere more often than not, very few networks restrict this (sadly).

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

They are, at restricted rates if they have permission from all parties involved. Anyway the purpose of this is not to conduct DDoS'ing activities. Instead to perform testing of a specific filtering upgrade from a real network (while useful, internal network / lab tests are not real world network conditions).

Rates will not exceed 1mbit, we are not looking to cause any attack volume. Just need to test a new version of the filter that deals specifically with IP Spoofing.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

zhuanyi said: Are people actually allowed to DDOS themselves?

said: Where permission to test has been obtained (if necessary)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi

Microlinux said: You can do this anywhere more often than not, very few networks restrict this (sadly).

All the providers I have experience with do filter egress. Do you have examples? Netdirekt, Hetzner, Leaseweb, DigitalOcean, ChicagoVPS (Colocrossing) and EDIS all do.

• With VPSes the anti IP spoofing usually comes automatically at the node level, i.e. it's part of the virtualization platform setup.
    Then even if the provider decides to allow the IP spoofing at the node level, the datacenter / upstream should probably filter by source IPs too. Though some ISPs / datacenters don't do it (either on purpose, or because they don't care / don't know, etc.).

@rds100 I am well aware of it at the datacenter level, hence the special request. I am aware of Ecatel allowing it at the Datacenter level, I am sure there are more providers - I just know of Ecatel due to the volume of attack traffic from them.

I am not sure if SolusVM has automatic filtering of this kind of traffic, if it does - damn. I would expect OpenVZ is not an option (not that I was considering that platform).

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited August 2014

SplitIce said: They are, at restricted rates if they have permission from all parties involved. Anyway the purpose of this is not to conduct DDoS'ing activities. Instead to perform testing of a specific filtering upgrade from a real network (while useful, internal network / lab tests are not real world network conditions).

Rates will not exceed 1mbit, we are not looking to cause any attack volume. Just need to test a new version of the filter that deals specifically with IP Spoofing.

Thanks, was just curious, good luck!

• You need a KVM VPS from a host with SolusVM IP stealing protection (ebtables binding ip with mac id) disabled. 99% of the DCs won't filter it. It's at the node level.

Thanked by 2Janevski Mark_R

Well this was just my luck, before posting this thread I ran through approximately 20 different servers (approx 50/50 dedicated/VPS) at different providers testing for spoofing support. I tested every server I have that wasn't DDoS protected, thinking those networks would be the least likely to be filtered.

While posting I ran through the DDoS protected networks. Finally, one network (not to be named) has no egress filtering (might be related to the specifics of our setup).

@serverian Generally I only host dedicated (physical) servers with large / reputable providers. I guess thats the other 1% of networks.