Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My VPS is always offline - only reboot works
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My VPS is always offline - only reboot works

Hello,

Since 2012 I have a small server from OVH. I use it as a torrent client for personal usage only. I only download few GB per month, that's all really. But since 2 weeks or so, the server is always offline. It only come back to life when I go to control panel and I reboot it, after that it's online for 1 day, then offline. Nothing working. No SFTP, no HTTP, nothing at all. I cannot even login.

So how to fix this? I'm bad in managing servers. I asked OVH for help but no answer for 3 days so far. I cannot wait anymore.

Appreciate your help fellas!

Comments

• MunMun Member

I think you broke their TOS and they are shutting down your server in response.

• @JoeBiss said:
    Hello,

Since 2012 I have a small server from OVH. I use it as a torrent client for personal usage only. I only download few GB per month, that's all really. But since 2 weeks or so, the server is always offline. It only come back to life when I go to control panel and I reboot it, after that it's online for 1 day, then offline. Nothing working. No SFTP, no HTTP, nothing at all. I cannot even login.

So how to fix this? I'm bad in managing servers. I asked OVH for help but no answer for 3 days so far. I cannot wait anymore.

OVH usually doesn't respond in weekends, unless there's real big priority, just wait another few days.

• @JoeBiss said:
    Hello,

I would suggest calling their phone support to enquire about the issue.

• A 3 day support response on a critical issue like this is poor no matter how unmanaged the provider is. A request for rDNS can wait. An entire server being inaccessible cannot. Have you tried reinstalling the server afresh and seeing if the issue continues? If this is a VPS there could be something wrong beyond your control. If this is a dedicated server you might want to have them run some diagnostics on the hardware.

• Kimsufi, So you start or OVH?

Have you tried booting into rescue mode and checking the hard drive state
    or check it with S.M.A.R.T since you're on windows

• @frixelsolutions said:
    A 3 day support response on a critical issue like this is poor no matter how unmanaged the provider is. A request for rDNS can wait. An entire server being inaccessible cannot. Have you tried reinstalling the server afresh and seeing if the issue continues? If this is a VPS there could be something wrong beyond your control. If this is a dedicated server you might want to have them run some diagnostics on the hardware.

not really critical, and not something the host should help with on an unmanaged server. he said he's bad at managing servers. most people who use unmanaged boxes would probably diagnose why it keeps shutting down themselves since it's kinda expected.

afaik OVH manage the network 24/7 and automatically detect hardware failures. they don't deal with software issues which I assume this is.

• edited August 2014

@hostnoob said:
    afaik OVH manage the network 24/7 and automatically detect hardware failures. they don't deal with software issues which I assume this is.

Understandable, however that's why I advised an OS reinstall first to clear up any issues caused by the customer. And the service is unusable by the customer, so of course it is a critical issue.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

We have a server with ovh a hosting plan, and we have had a same issue, after 2-3 or max 4 days the server got offline, but the ping was OK. So, no login was available no ipmi, kvm etc no error messages inside. I take my home pc online logged in ssh 3-4 days when this happen again i tried commands "w, who, free -m uname etc" and i receive this error BUS ERROR.
    Runned in rescue mode checked all tests all tests were OK without any error. Emailed OVH support about 3 days ago, nothing from their side. However the server is online now: 16:30:18 up 1 day, 8:14, 0 users, load average: 0.09, 0.06, 0.05
    I will wait to see what will happen in next couble days.

• Have you got a active copy of windows os?

• Is it running Windows? Theres a shutdown signal like once a hour if its unlicensed.

• What makes you guys think he is running Windows?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited August 2014

hostnoob said: What makes you guys think he is running Windows?

Theres actually nothing in his posts that says anything at all that anyone could help diagnose.

The chances are high for Windows since the licensing thing would be the most common thing that just strait up shuts the server down on a predictable basis. SFTP is mentioned though, im not a iis guy, but is that a common protocol to use on Windows?

I'm bad in managing servers

Yout thread does not really give any details to the OS you are running etc, OVH probably wont help with a OS level issue either. If its not important data you may just want to reload the operating system or find a provider that will manage everything.

• said: So how to fix this? I'm bad in managing servers. I asked OVH for help but no answer for 3 days so far. I cannot wait anymore.

Try to hire System Administrator. It's obvious that you need server monitoring.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Assuming you're running a desktop OS, check your power management settings. I had a VM that kept suspending itself because I forgot to change the power management on it. I forget what OS I was using but it would go unresponsive every day and (luckily) I had to login to ESXi to open the console which restored the network. Even if it's not a desktop OS, it's worth checking if there is any power management that might turn off NICs or spin down the hard drive when you're logged off for X hours.