Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is charging for migration reasonable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is charging for migration reasonable?

Due to the bluevm LA location's poor network, I raised a tk to request migration with few data.
After two days, their support finally replied to me

There will be a $5 charge for this, we don't migrate cheap yearly plans.

I recall they support free migration last year. And my service goes to blue4 2G, I don't think it is cheap yearly like $5/y.
Tried other providers, they migrated my vps with data for free.
Really disappointed for their policy.

Comments

• A fee for data/VPS migration is reasonable. Pretty sure most hosts do this.

However, recreating a VPS with the same specs in another location shouldn't be charged for.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

2 schools of thought on this.

1) If you are asking for migration due to issues beyond your control and by that I mean acknowledged network problems, not just because your perception of the network is poor because of your own location.

2) If they are providing the very cheap service $5 p/year is VERY CHEAP and it is just your location suites a different location then that is not their fault and it is not really fair to ask them to work for free, I am sure you don't work for free but if you are happy to move your own data then it is 2 clicks to put you in a different location and they will probably do that for free.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • depends, because sometimes resources are more expensive in the new location

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

You should be able to ask them to make a new VPS in that location so you can manually move your stuff ahead of time for free.

Bluevm support is normally quite reasonable!

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

These people don't work for free and at $5 dollars a year they really make no money which is why they don't really offer much support on them, personally, I think its fair.

"Limited Support Products

Some of our products may come with a "Limited Support" or "(LS)" warning. This warning signifies that our support team is only responsible for ensuring your product/service is online and remotely accessible. Support for products/services which are limited support may have longer than normal ticket reply times and our staff may choose to not assist you with technical issues outside of making sure your product is online. Please be patient while requesting support and attempt to find your own solutions to problems. If you need more support switch to our unmanaged plans or for direct help switch to our managed plans.

Limited support products which are suspended by our staff for excessive CPU or bandwidth usage may incurr a fee of up to $5.00 for administrative time."

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • IMHO, people pay for your time. So yes, you should charge a fee, because you cannot use that time to do anything else that would make you money or use it as free time.

• Like @AnthonySmith said, it completely depends on the circumstances.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    2 schools of thought on this.

1) If you are asking for migration due to issues beyond your control and by that I mean acknowledged network problems, not just because your perception of the network is poor because of your own location.

2) If they are providing the very cheap service $5 p/year is VERY CHEAP and it is just your location suites a different location then that is not their fault and it is not really fair to ask them to work for free, I am sure you don't work for free but if you are happy to move your own data then it is 2 clicks to put you in a different location and they will probably do that for free.

1) I pinged the lg@la and my vps at the same time.lg was fine,but my last previous step tracert to vps ip was huge package loss. I think it's their router overload.

2) server for testing, occupy about 3-4Gb except systems, want to let them move to another node in same location.Maybe I'm lazy don't want to config server with same long steps once more. XD

If all your guys think it should be charge, I'm okay, just do a survey.

• @matthewvz said:
    These people don't work for free and at $5 dollars a year they really make no money which is why they don't really offer much support on them, personally, I think its fair.

"Limited Support Products

Some of our products may come with a "Limited Support" or "(LS)" warning. This warning signifies that our support team is only responsible for ensuring your product/service is online and remotely accessible. Support for products/services which are limited support may have longer than normal ticket reply times and our staff may choose to not assist you with technical issues outside of making sure your product is online. Please be patient while requesting support and attempt to find your own solutions to problems. If you need more support switch to our unmanaged plans or for direct help switch to our managed plans.

Limited support products which are suspended by our staff for excessive CPU or bandwidth usage may incurr a fee of up to $5.00 for administrative time."

my service is blue4, not $5/y promo, ty.

• BlueVM suck more and more everyday

• @jonnathon said:
    BlueVM suck more and more everyday

What service(s) do you have or had with them?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2014

edit: never mind I did not read properly.

well if you have given them time ti fix it and the issues persist then yes they should probably move you for free but not your data, that is on you.

• Easy answer pay a little more and find a host on a better network with better support that will migrate for free. All problems solved.

• Move to ramnode that it
    :-) n

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Doesn't BlueVM use a custom control panel (Feathur)? They should let you migrate your own VPSs (not hard to implement).

• If they are having problems with their network in that location and moving to another location would resolve that issue, it would be fair to move you for free. If, however, you just want to move locations for your own reasons or you are bored then they should charge for the time and effort of moving your server, especially at the price they charge. My two cents; I haven't ever used a BlueVM service so please take this with a grain of salt.

• @lightforce - Ticket #?

• @BlueVM said:
    lightforce - Ticket #?

• @mpkossen said:
    What service(s) do you have or had with them?

2 x $25 / year plan, one is Switzerland and one in NYC ...