Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any known faster alternatives than VNC (linux)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any known faster alternatives than VNC (linux)?

I would love to have a remote vps that I can use to vnc into and use things like gui web browsers/email/irc... but VNC is so slow some times.

Anyone know any good alternatives?

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Some VNC clients have the option to enable compression or lower the colour depth which works out well for some uses, apart from VNC you could try TeamViewer which is pretty good as well.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

FreeNX is awesome.

• X over SSH.

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited August 2014

x2go server:

for ubuntu variants:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:x2go/stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install x2goserver x2goserver-xsession

x2go client:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:x2go/stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install x2goclient

Thanked by 1metagen
  • +1 x2go

• Unfortunately I've never found any VNC software that works as well as RDP :(

• x2go is amazing, and works as good if not better than RDP.

• ad0ad0 Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    FreeNX is awesome.

+1

• any suggestions for a 128kbit connection ^^

i am using x2go with color set to 16m color, jpeg compression, image quality 1

it is laggy :)

• +1 to NX.

• I believe Remote Desktop just sends the information to represent the desktop (if it can), then allows Windows to figure out what it should look like (rather than sending only pictures). This allows unmatched speed with its VNC counterpart (can only send pictures).

It would be cool if Linux could get something like that. I rather compress an SVG image than JPG.

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • Silvenga said: It would be cool if Linux could get something like that. I rather compress an SVG image than JPG.

cough X over SSH.

• Second vote for X2Go. It's quite usable on a decent link.

• Trying out x2go now. :D thanks for the install instructions!

• RDP. Install xrdp.

A lot faster than the majority of others.

• SDL

SPICE

• @AnthonySmith said:
    FreeNX is awesome.

FreeNX is awesome IF you able to install it successfuly. I have not been able to get FreeNX working since I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 and above, whether on KDE or Gnome. Do you know of a foolproof method to get it working on 12.04 and above?

• FreeNX/NoMachine client. I used it for months on a remote KVM box. Though I seem to be such a power user that I kept crashing it and freezing the VM up.

• @rchurch said:
    FreeNX is awesome IF you able to install it successfuly. I have not been able to get FreeNX working since I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 and above, whether on KDE or Gnome. Do you know of a foolproof method to get it working on 12.04 and above?

NoMachine is the way to go.

https://www.sonicboxes.com/lowmem-debian-lxde-nomachine-script/

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • BayuBayu Member

X2Go over ssh with none cipher :)
    of course with different ssh server (and port too)

• Is it your own package with the sources available? It will be interesting to know where the standard installation is going wrong and whether it will work with KDE.

• @NateN34 said:
    RDP. Install xrdp.

A lot faster than the majority of others.

Isn't XRDP just a front-end for VNC, so you can use RDP to connect to VNC instead of using a VNC client?