Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for KVM VPS for small VPN (EU)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for KVM VPS for small VPN (EU)

tehdartherertehdartherer Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hi there,

I'm looking for a KVM VPS to host a few services in a VPN (~5-10 clients).
It should be located in the EU, because the clients will connect mostly from there. Preferable NL, but I am flexible on that.
The services to run are the following:

• IPSec / L2TP VPN server
  • mail-server with encrypted mailboxes
  • XMPP-server
  • private (!) Tor bridge (not an Exit Node)

The services will be used from just 5-10 personally known clients. No public service.
I need a KVM because I want to put dropbear into the initramfs, thus I can encrypt the whole volume and unlock it on boot (I know they could freeze the memory to get the passphrases, but it's not to get perfect security or to hide any illegal content, it's just to make a little obstacle against any human curiosity).
Maybe also a small mumble server for the same amount of clients, but I am unsure how much processing power is needed for this.
Since I am unsure how much memory/processing power all these services in conjunction will consume, I am open for your proposals. Traffic beginning at 1 TB should be good, storage is not very important, anything > 20 GB, bandwidth >= 1 Gbps

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

Ramnode, colorhost.de or vultr.

You have a budget in mind?

Thanked by 1Colorhost
  • tehdartherertehdartherer Member
    edited July 2014

Budget max ~15 € / month

edited July 2014

Most providers should be able to do that, you might want to look for 1gb ram, 2 max. Mail server/webmail will be the biggest hog memory wise i think.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • Mail server/webmail will be the biggest hog memory wise i think.

Especially with anti-spam. But if you just want basic postfix and email directories then you could get down to 256-500MB easily. I would look for a good CPU as a priority for Mumble and Jabber.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • It seems, that I have to shift my preference from NL to some other EU country (except GER). Some speed tests of vultr and ramnode over a 100 mbit line to my location (GER) gave me at most ~2 MB/s, which isn't satisfactory.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@tehdartherer said:
    It seems, that I have to shift my preference from NL to some other EU country (except GER). Some speed tests of vultr and ramnode over a 100 mbit line to my location (GER) gave me at most ~2 MB/s, which isn't satisfactory.

NL is probably the best connected country to DE. I don't know about the routes between Vultr and your ISP, but RamNode uses very cheap connectivity in the Netherlands and maybe routes weren't the best.

Try downloading from LeaseWeb, NFOrce, i3D or Serverius.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2014

Why not GER if you located there? You can always check my signature and contact @Onepound as they deliver excellent services. Maybe Stuart can do a custom plan for you as well.

Thanked by 1onepound
  • tehdartherertehdartherer Member
    edited August 2014

I know, GER offers some nice possibilities, but I definitely need one somewhere else.
    Anyway, thanks for your offer!
    A good connection to GER is preferable, but also to the other west European countries. Another no go is a server located in UK (in this case political reasons).
    It seems, that with this budget one cannot expect optimal routing.

edited August 2014

Try colorhost.de test files in DE: http://mirror.datafabrik.de/testfiles/

I get 63MB/s from France online.net and max out my BT Infinity line from home in UK.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • How about just get a kimsufi atom instead. Runs my mail, vpns etc just fine

@sc754 said:
    How about just get a kimsufi atom instead. Runs my mail, vpns etc just fine

Looks like he does want a reliable machine.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • @Nyr said:

I've had one of those Kimsufi Atom (N2800) boxes since they did the €2.99 offer ages ago and it's been flawless.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2014

nvm

edited August 2014

@Enverex said:
    I've had one of those Kimsufi Atom (N2800) boxes since they did the €2.99 offer ages ago and it's been flawless.

And? They are not production machines.

An example? OVH can take days to replace a failed hard disk and you need to notify them on a forum, not via support tickets.

Nothing about those atoms is production grade anyway. Not the only hard disk nor the memory or the absence of IPMI.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

Since you have a good budget, check out EDIS. Most reliable provider I've used (been with them for years)

http://nl.edis.at/
    http://ch.edis.at/