Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Location Preference
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Location Preference

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
edited July 2014 in General

Of the locations listed, which would you like to see offers in?

Buffalo NY
Chicago, IL
Las Vegas, NV
Orlando, FL

Location Preference
  1. Which would you prefer?40 votes
    1. Buffalo, NY
      22.50%
    2. Chicago, IL
      10.00%
    3. Las Vegas, NV
      45.00%
    4. Orlando, FL
      22.50%

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

You've done the poll wrong. Also good luck trying to compete in any of those locations.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@trewq Poll fixed! Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate the feedback on competing in these locations, however we'd like to at least try.

• netrixnetrix Member

No L.A ?

@netrix I figure there's quite a few offers in LA that are much better than we could ever offer. I could look into it though if there's interest.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited July 2014

Of what is there, Vegas for sure but LA would eclipse that. San Jose would be even better as that is the major cable landing for traffic from Australia.

I would of course prefer to see some cheaper Asian locations, or even some here in Australia.

• BUF/ORD are oversaturated.

LAS may as well just be LAX.

Vote goes to Florida -- though you should caution your servers never to wear hoodies outside, or they'll get shot -- because there aren't too many providers there.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Vote goes to Florida -- though you should caution your servers never to wear hoodies outside, or they'll get shot -- because there aren't too many providers there.

I dunno, if they cannot compete against the LA offers, how the hell will they compete against Crissic?

I wasn't saying we can't compete, but there are a lot of providers in LA that have super low price dedis and VPSes. We're a small start up by comparison so we need to make a call and LA is not the call for us.

• Monsta_AU said: how the hell will they compete against Crissic?

EVERYONE and their mother is in LAX. Everyone.

They certainly would have a bit of a challenge in LAS with BuyVM, following that logic.

At least there's only a handful in Florida. Maybe Virtovo disappearing from MIA will help them a bit.

We definitely plan to compete. We obviously may not be able to be as competitive as some providers here without sacrificing quality and that's not something we are going to do.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited July 2014

agoldenberg said: We obviously may not be able to be as competitive as some providers here without sacrificing quality and that's not something we are going to do.

That's a good start. I'll definitely check you guys out at launch.

What about something a bit off the beaten path? DEN and PHX are underrepresented out west, CLT and all of Florida out east (obviously covered in the survey, but worth mentioning again).

Yomura/Delimiter evidently provide services over at MSP, could be an interesting location.

Dream/crazy locations: Fresno or Sacramento.

It's a tough call. We can get a bit of a better deal in Orlando and people seem to like the idea of Orlando, so we are kinda leaning that way. However we will grow and we will try and hit locations that are not saturated such as buffalo where every provider seems to have these cheap atom boxes showing up.

• Las Vegas

• @ihatetonyy - Sacramento is on-net for us at Herakles (1100 N Market Blvd) but too expensive to offer budget servers in. We sell transit/MPLS there

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2014

@agoldenberg, if possible consider some unique locations that are not as saturated:

(Just some suggestions, probably not cost-effective, but somewhat "exotic" in terms of LEB's):

• Seattle, WA: (I know one of the Top 10 from LEB is there, but they are not that lowend IMHO). I think there is room for a "lowend" provider
    • Vancouver, BC: Unique
    • Boston, MA: Suprisingly unique IMHO

etc

Caveat emptor: It could be hit or miss depending on your marketing strategy and tenacity (i.e., don't pull a V*rtovo and just give up in 2 months or a M@ssNodes and ... well you get the idea). BUT, you could create a nice niche if you are willing to give it 12 months or so.

Otherwise, if it is only from what is on your list, then I'd probably say Las Vegas, NV as the others are pretty well represented.

Cheers

@geekalot there's a reason that lowend providers aren't represented in Seattle and Boston. Bandwidth is pretty pricey there by comparison to other providers. Vancouver might be a good idea.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2014

@agoldenberg said:
    geekalot there's a reason that lowend providers aren't represented in Seattle and Boston. Bandwidth is pretty pricey there by comparison to other providers. Vancouver might be a good idea.

And you think it won't be pricey in Vancouver? :-)

• @Geekalot - we have a few customers (VPS providers) in our Seattle site, not sure if they are lowend but pretty close to it. I'll see if they'll post offers on here.

Boston isn't that much more expensive than New York (as in Manhattan), it more than the cheap dedicated server market hasn't kicked off there yet.

• @Agoldenberg - Canada - Vancouver/Toronto, its easy enough to offer low cost dedicated servers there but with the market price much higher than US, there is no reason to crash it at the moment.

• Las Vegas is strong, good spot for offsite VPS from California.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

Voteing for Buffalo #MainStream

• I'm surprised the Vegas location is growing in popularity - nice!

Yup. Already have my quote for the system and just need to do some configuration.

@MarkTurner I contemplated getting some hardware in the Data Centers here in Ottawa but the cost of bandwidth is retarded high. I would have to charge a minimum of like $20 a month for a low end VPS lol!

• We just did Toronto it was pretty reasonable. 151 front in Toronto of course has the best prices for bandwidth, but its almost full.

• WorldWorld Veteran

Too many cheap VPS providers provide VPS location in Buffalo/Los Angeles/Chicago with CC...

Maybe Las Vegas is good.

Yep I think we're going to give Vegas the old college try! What kind of resources do you guys want to see? Lower end boxes like 128MB / 256 or higher end like 1GB-2GB-6GB?

• MrXMrX Member

agoldenberg said: What kind of resources do you guys want to see? Lower end boxes like 128MB / 256 or higher end like 1GB-2GB-6GB?

Do you plan to run a business based on what half a dozen or so posters on LET say?

@MrX Nope. Just looking to this community for offers they would like to see. We will obviously have all kinds of offers, but I also want to thank this community. I've learned a lot about networking, server administration and other things from this forum.

• Obviously, you will get more volume at the lower end, but it makes less money. So its a balancing act, depends on what you see your customers wanting!