Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard drives, the good, the bad, and the ugly - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard drives, the good, the bad, and the ugly

2»

Comments

• @miTgiB said: They fail so frequently for me I save up 5 at a time to RMA to reduce shipping costs.

The only brand of hard drives I have had issues with were Hitachi.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@TheHackBox said: The only brand of hard drives I have had issues with were Hitachi.

I've had bad out of the bag from everyone, they all suck, it's just which suck most in production I try to avoid. I think there is a difference, major difference, in buying habits, while I am not a huge buyer by any means, I am still buying 20-50 drives a month.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Has anyone used the Toshiba enterprise drives yet?

• @Infinity said: I dunno if it's the same model as yours but I have an old Maxtor 20GB and 60GB IDE HDD's all working very nicely, I've smashed the 60GB with a hammer a few times and dropped it a lot, it still works although it runs really loud. Plus it has normal Phillips head screws which is nice to see. :P

LOL yeah. all of them still use IDE, the quantum 10GB is the worst one (IDE 100) slow like hell..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@taipres said: Haha I remember those days, I wrecked many motherboards with ESD(electrostatic discharge), so eventually got a cheap ESD strap to clip on to the metal to ground myself, though I guess you could wing it by just having a hand on it. This BTW was back then when you had to apply your own thermal paste to CPU's, so was a pain cleaning that crap off each time and reapplying when adding to new motherboard.

Actually, I meant the grounding for the general electric installation. If that fails, electric discharges can occur between the powered devices interconnected through the usb cable. One way to avoid it is to use 2.5 drives powered by USB.
    M

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Seagate Cheetah SCSI 15k rocks - still use them in old hardware also Sun's FC ones are good. Beside that Hitachi for desktops

• @qps said: Has anyone used the Toshiba enterprise drives yet?

Yes, they work fine - never had an issue with any of them.
    Pricing also very good.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: Yes, they work fine - never had an issue with any of them.

Didn't Toshiba get the Hitachi UltraStar unit when WD aquired Hitachi and was forced to divest part of the business.

• Were currently using hitachi's hdds there working great

• I remember when Hitachi GXPs used to be death stars rather than deskstars.

They have really cleaned up their game

@miTgiB said: Didn't Toshiba get the Hitachi UltraStar unit when WD aquired Hitachi and was forced to divest part of the business.

I think these are made by the WD sub also.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@ShardHost said: I think these are made by the WD sub also.

Made me go look for myself, seems the Desktop division went to Toshiba

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/06/deal.expected.to.close.this.week/

• I've always had good experiences with Seagate drives owning several and having no failures over the years, that said, I'm probably just lucky ;)

edited June 2012

For the end-user ones, I had horrible results, as such I avoid them altogether. On the other hand, ppl had bad experience with maxtor, for me those were cheap and fast drives, albeit noisy and hot, only now they start failing, none failed dramatically, just a few bads, very acceptable for pre 2005 drives.
    M

• @taipres said: This BTW was back then when you had to apply your own thermal paste to CPU's

You still do? Unless you get a stock cooler with the processor, there might be a thermal pad on the bottom of it, but I wouldn't trust those.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: Unless you get a stock cooler with the processor

The SuperMicro SNK-0046P heatsink and any other I've bought from them, and all I've bought from Dynatron have the little pad and as long as it is the first time use, that is all I use and never have had a heat problem.

• @miTgiB said: The SuperMicro SNK-0046P heatsink and any other I've bought from them, and all I've bought from Dynatron have the little pad and as long as it is the first time use, that is all I use and never have had a heat problem.

Ah, I'm into overclocking and the heat sinks I buy obviously wouldn't have them, I even sand down the top of my CPU to get better contact with the thermal paste.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: I'm into overclocking

Overclocking is for kids :P I don't see the point for VPS nodes.

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: I don't see the point for VPS nodes.

Haha no, in a 24/7 environment I would never overclock that, but in a home use environment, sure why not?
    For kids huh? I've brought my Q9550 (2.83GHz stock) to 4.003GHz :) and it's pretty stable too.

• @miTgiB said: Overclocking is for kids :P

this? http://www.anandtech.com/show/82 :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Mon5t3r Damn, I need one of them with 4 ISAs right now :(

• @netomx lol! i still have 2 asus motherboard for pentium 2/3 (1 slot and 1 socket).. don't know if it's still work or not. :D

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Mon5t3r said: @netomx lol! i still have 2 asus motherboard for pentium 2/3 (1 slot and 1 socket).. don't know if it's still work or not. :D

check if they have 4 ISAs :)

• sorry.. only 2.. :(

i forgot the other one, and both of them is on my parent's house. (~300 KM from my home :P )

This brings back memories... I still have ISA sound cards, even an 8 bit modem.
    In the days of 486 DX 66 you needed to add a few coins over the cpu to suck heat if it was to OC it. Coolers were expensive and only for the really determined ones that were doubling the frequency.
    I remember tons of segfaults because of OC, but in the end managed to arrange a good airflow and things stayed stable for years.
    M

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Looking on modern 1-2U servers I miss old Compaq Proliant servers with Pentium II/III CPUs - the old big bricks which looked like pulled out from Russian tank
    http://www.vibrant.com/models/compaq-proliant-3000r/

• @taipres According to the SMART test on SpeedFan, my hard drive is completely healthy. :) Maybe that is just its natural sound?

• TeYroXTeYroX Member
    edited July 2022

@ALLHDDCOM said:
    I personally like SSD Hard drives. It's a new technology and faster than the traditional hard drives.
    [Link]

What the fuck? You just earned gold shovel for dig out 10y post

Mod edit (angstrom): Removed the quoted link; the clown has been banned

Thanked by 1TimboJones
This discussion has been closed.