Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elasticsearch on lowend-boxes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Elasticsearch on lowend-boxes?

gehaxeltgehaxelt Member

Hi there,
I'm planning to create a new small website and I'd like to use elasticsearch (www.elasticsearch.org) as the database.

Does anyone have some experience with elasticsearch and/on lowend-boxes?

• How much RAM does EL need? Is 256MB enough?
  • How much space (SSD) does EL need to store an average amount of data?

Thanks in advance,
Gehaxelt

Comments

• I can run nginx/php5-fpm + es OR nginx/php5-fpm + mariaDB but NOT nginx/php5-fpm + mariadb + es on my OpenVZ 128MB RAM + 128MB swap (256MB in total). I think you need 512MB at least for them to run smoothly.

• "an average amount" does not give any meaningful information. I can run my project in above VPS (10GD SSD) but it never reach 2GB :)

Thanked by 2gehaxelt orak
  • ZEROFZEROF Member

Hi @gehaxelt,

Check this install tutorial they said something about RAM usage, but i didn't saw info about disk space: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-basic-elasticsearch-installation-debian-ubuntu.26163/

Hope it helps.

Thanked by 1gehaxelt
  • bookstackbookstack Member
    edited July 2014

We run Solr instance 800MB RSS for jetty + solr, the data is roughly 600MB.

The memory consumption is roughly the size of the data.

Thanked by 1gehaxelt
  • A single node elasticsearch isn't effective. It's built for a cluster. As in might be quite slow.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited July 2014

@concerto49 said:
    A single node elasticsearch isn't effective. It's built for a cluster. As in might be quite slow.

Yes this is true elasticsearch was built for clustering so you will need at least 2 nodes, i would never touch something less then 3 but i perfree 5 or more.

I would recommend @drserver if your willing to pay a little more for no containers which should give you a better java experience. But if you need to save money i would try vpsdime from @serverian. VpsDime uses openVz and java GC can be picky about when it gets its memory and where it is, and in openvz it can be all over the place in Xen like @drserver offers your memory is pre allocated to you.

said: How much RAM does EL need? Is 256MB enough?

you will need more ram its a java database/search index it will want as much ram as you can throw at it. I would start neear a gig and see where you land.

How much space (SSD) does EL need to store an average amount of data?

This depeneds on how many documents (they call them this not rows) and how large they are. by default elasticsearch will index everything but you can work on limiting it.

Thanked by 1gehaxelt
  • Without available zone, clustering in the vps is just a joke.

• @gehaxelt This is my server status just after install LEMP stack + ES (no websites installed)

Thanked by 1gehaxelt
  • wojonswojons Member

@bookstack said:
    Without available zone, clustering in the vps is just a joke.

When you say available zone you mean like AWS?

• I mean the elasticsearh node runs in different hosts, and preferably runs in different rack with different switch and power supply.

The idea of the clustering is HA and concurrency. Without available zone, what is the point of running two es vm within same physical machine?

• wojonswojons Member

Depends on the provider so first off some providers cap performance per VM so have more then one same host could help but not by much. If you have provider with more then one server in DC even if they are on same rack switch power you will still get better performance. And yes if you want true HA you will need to separate things

• ES is latency sensitive, so you don't want to be running over highly variable latency links, otherwise you quickly find your nodes partitioning or you find the reallocation of shards breaking.