Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My project is no longer about GFW. It's about saving the net. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My project is no longer about GFW. It's about saving the net.

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Floris said: too bad their servers are located in the usa... No go for me.

Who is "they"?

You can run Tahoe-LAFS wherever you want. You can participate in the public grid or you can run a private grid.

• Code more and talk less yada yada...

• faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

fair nough shrubbles. Check in with you all when there's some actual progress.

Okay once again raindog..... Can I host collaborative apps on Tahoe-LAFS? Quip/Google Docs/Office Online/Iwork style collaboration? Well, I've searched pretty thoroughly- you CAN collaborate on odf in Owncloud, but seriously line that up next to quip. The experience pales in comparison. Folks file storage isn't my endgame-- again, an incredible platform for devs to play with.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

faddat said: again, an incredible platform for devs to play with.

Stop saying nonsense like this. "An incredible platform" means nothing.

Are you looking for Google Docs on some sort of distributed peer-to-peer underlying platform where individuals can share information? If so, you need to go and write the front-end web app...which is a mammoth undertaking.

shrubbles said: Code more and talk less yada yada...

To achieve this (if that's what you're trying to do - it's all so vague and "incredible") you need:

• a front end that replicates the functionality of Google Docs, which should take you hundreds of thousands of man hours

• a back end handle the file sharing/collaboration

But of course the question is what is gained? I can share documents with someone and it's kept out of Google's hands? Many ways I can do that already. I can collaborate on a document with people? Like...with a wiki? Put a wiki on a VPS, setup backups, and you've accomplished 90% of what you're talking about.

• faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

I did want to mention that I, too agree with @serverian. I'm alright with sounding like the "Aliens!" meme guy. It's not something I try for, yet I manage to do it, even without the 1/4lb doobie.