Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which virtualization do you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

infolinkinfolink Member

Hello,

Please which virtualization infrastructure you prefer when buying a VPS (regardless of the price). If you have some more time please also let me know in the comments why you prefer it.

Thanks,
Alec

1. Which virtualization do you prefer?65 votes
    1. KVM
      67.69%
    2. OpenVZ
      12.31%
    3. Xen
      12.31%
    4. Parallels Virtuozzo
        4.62%
    5. VMWare
        3.08%

Comments

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited July 2014

KVM or VMWare or XEN HVM. Basically Anything that Lets me run my own OS or ISO. Containers are nice if you run a lot of the same, I prefer the real deal.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

KVM for production and OpenVZ for testing.

• When you say XEN are you talking about the mature and stable HVM or the newer and quick PV?

I personally like XEN because of the corporate backers and its experience in the field - and we should support it - rather than fragment with KVM.

• Xen HVM for just about everything and OpenVZ for testing grounds.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited July 2014

Virtualization makes no difference to me. I do prefer to choose a vendor which provides a minimal install templates, so I can quickly rebuild a vps. I don't like to manually install the OS, setting the keyboard mapping, partitioning the disk, etc. So KVM might not be very suitable for me. If I need the extra security or performance, I'll get a dedicated server or a bigger vps.

• OpenVZ

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

The basic breakdown.

OpenVZ and Virtuozzo: Fastest, OS Virtualization.

KVM: Complete Hardware Virtualization. Most supported by Linux.

Xen (HVM) and VMWare: Complete Hardware Virtualization. Most supported by corporations.

If you run standard linux web hosting, it shouldn't matter which technology you use. VZ is probably the easiest to get up and going and the fastest if your provider allows it by not overselling the living crap out of it.

If you need ISO installs, custom kernels, unix or windows then it probably doesn't matter much between VMWare, Xen, or KVM and probably is more dependent on the host and host features.

Thanked by 1Scion
  • AdducAdduc Member

Silvenga said: When you say XEN are you talking about the mature and stable HVM or the newer and quick PV?

You aren't kidding about the quicker PV. Rackspace recently rolled out support for PV within their cloud servers. We were able to sustain ~15% additional traffic on XEN PV servers compared to XEN HVM (for network-constrained applications).

• Ok, thanks for your votes and thoughts.

• I think KVM + OpenVZ or LXC is a great option. XenServer is also very good.

• cppgohancppgohan Member
    edited July 2014

Openvz comes with template, fast for init.
    Most KVM/XEN only can install from VNC, it is hard init many KVM/XEN vpses when the vnc connection not so fast.

If there is a way init KVM/XEN from a self made img, that will be great.

• swi7chswi7ch Member

I'm a newbie to all of this but which one of those can Windows be installed on?

• Windows is supported on KVM, XEN and vmware.

• i personally like KVM :)

• Ok, thanks for your thoughts. KVM is clearly the winner. :)