Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Update - v1.15.03
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Update - v1.15.03

http://docs.solusvm.com/release_versions_stable#stable_release_notes

Released: 27 July 2014

Fixes/Changes/Features

Added noVNC HTML5 VNC console for admins & clients http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Configuration/NoVNC.htm
Updated the TLD list for the DNS functions
Added ability for resellers to create VPS with more than 24GB Ram
Fixed bug when editing a Xen HVM plan where the templates were not showing correctly
Added vserver-bandwidth call to admin API http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Change-Bandwidth.htm
Xen & KVM nodes now have a new dhcpd.conf writing system. This will now prevent host overlaps in config files
Added advanced dhcpd.conf configuration options http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Configuration/DHCPD.htm

Thanked by 1Blanoz

Comments

• @Jack said:
    WOOOOO AnthonySmith

Too bad OpenVZ Console still blows.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • wychwych Member

@Jack said:
    WOOOOO AnthonySmith

Didn't Ant just ditch them for @Virtualizor?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nice to see progress.

Seems the noVNC HTML5 console only works for XenHVM and KVM, Xen PV/OpenVZ still default to Java and despite the docs telling you how to update the [MASTER_PORTS] it has no effect and still defaults to 5353/5656.

Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

• said: Updated the TLD list for the DNS functions

If you're having TLD problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems, but being too stupid to autosync ain't one.

@Jack said:

Yup.

edited July 2014

@Jack said:
    So this update wouldn't change the OpenVZ Console?

Correct.

I know someone will probably just bash me for being honest and telling it how it is as usual with SolusVM, but frankly as usual its half a job with very little consideration for other factors, for example the clients of your re-sellers will see your master host name when connecting, kind of gives away the white label thing a little eh....

An no option to force SSL, not only that it actually gives end users the option of none SSL/SSL/revert to java.

You also need to manually update the config and install the dependencies on every node separate which while not a huge deal further validates my thinking that solusvm produce everything without any foresight for scale as this so easily could have been handled as part of the update process to begin with.

Feels like a rush job to me but would be awesome if it gets fixed and actually works.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited July 2014

AnthonySmith said: I know someone will probably just bash me for being honest and telling it how it is as usual with SolusVM, but frankly as usual its half a job with very little consideration for other factors

No way, you are bang on the money. Solus is horrible these days and I am wondering what the hell they are playing at. I think this just shows that there needs to be a serious migration away from them to really deliver the kick in the pants that is required.

They still haven't fixed the IPv6 address delegation to a VPS.... How long has that been in the 'Coming' tray now?

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited July 2014

We would consider using Virtualizor but migrating from SolusVM takes quite some time since you have to manually assign each user their rightful OpenVZ VPS in Virtualizor. Imagine this if you have hundreds of OpenVZ VPS servers. Their 'Import SolusVM' feature only imports the database.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

NoVNC use Slave hostname even If you will add use_remote_hostname = false

• @GreenHostBox said:
    We would consider using Virtualizor but migrating from SolusVM takes quite some time since you have to manually assign each user their rightful OpenVZ VPS in Virtualizor. Imagine this if you have hundreds of OpenVZ VPS servers. Their 'Import SolusVM' feature only imports the database.

There reseller panel is coming this week. After that the importer.

2 Issue with this NoVNC:

1. ** Redirect to Login page, If you are already logged-in then why again redirect to login page.

Java should be loaded automatically and display NoVNC button in bottom area with MetroUI Style box.

edited July 2014

@DewlanceVPS said:
    2 Issue with this NoVNC:

1. ** Redirect to Login page, If you are already logged-in then why again redirect to login page.

Java should be loaded automatically and display NoVNC button in bottom area with MetroUI Style box.

Honestly i think they just did a half arsed rush job to try and beat Virtualizor to it as they are implementing it now, what they have actually done is show what sort of quality they consider ok to release in to the live environments.

Pathetic

@GreenHostBox said:

They are scripting an automated migration for this which includes the WHMCS module side, I expect 3 - 4 weeks this will be ready.

Monsta_AU said: No way, you are bang on the money. Solus is horrible these days and I am wondering what the hell they are playing at. I think this just shows that there needs to be a serious migration away from them to really deliver the kick in the pants that is required.

Agreed, my opinion is that they have to much money to honestly care about it any more.

2 Developers and outsourced first line support and they closed their accounts with quarter of a million GBP cash in bank (That is after all costs and salary), it is obvious they dont want to compete on the big stage like OnAPP so I think it is just being milked while it can be as it has gone without competition for so long.

• When they will release SolusVM 1.16? Backup feature is very important for users.

• After being alerted to this thread via numerous support tickets “FYI - The idiot strikes again”, “Whats his beef?” i thought it was appropriate to reply, however I’m only going to reply to the important parts and try not to get caught up in all the BS.

@DewlanceVPS said:
    NoVNC use Slave hostname even If you will add use_remote_hostname = false

Have you submitted a ticket. Tested this and it’s all good. Did you uncomment it? (remove the ;).

@DewlanceVPS said:
    2 Issue with this NoVNC:

1) Where does it re-direct?
    2) Why do you want the Java applet loading automatically?

@AnthonySmith said:
    Seems the noVNC HTML5 console only works for XenHVM and KVM, Xen PV/OpenVZ still default to Java and despite the docs telling you how to update the [MASTER_PORTS] it has no effect and still defaults to 5353/5656.

Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Xen PV & OpenVZ use an SSH client. A VNC client won’t work for that. You need to uncomment the MASTER_PORTS settings for them to work. They are only used for the re-direction of the noVNC window, they won’t change the listening ports in the lighttpd.conf or nginx.conf

@AnthonySmith said:
    You also need to manually update the config and install the dependencies on every node separate which while not a huge deal further validates my thinking that solusvm produce everything without any foresight for scale as this so easily could have been handled as part of the update process to begin with.

We only install the websockify dependancies on a new install. One of our internal testers noted an issue with numpy and existing modules on a node so we took the choice to avoid it.

—-

As it stands now:

For the time being we will be releasing weekly builds of SolusVM with bug fixes, changes and features while our new team of local developers complete the next major build. I must admit things around here have been painfully slow but sourcing local developers was not an easy task for us in the UK, in all honesty we expected to have the new team in place no later than February 2014.

-- Phill

Thanked by 3Jade_G MartinD Infinity
    edited July 2014

soluslabs said: “FYI - The idiot strikes again”, “Whats his beef?”

I did lol a little at that, I see it only took 24 hours "for our concerned management staff" to acknowledge it, things are looking up :)

I could get in to it, I am not going to, its all been said before and it is still broken and as you have said it is painfully slow, 3 years running you have said "expect big things this year" haha.

soluslabs said: we will be releasing weekly builds of SolusVM with bug fixes

Time will be the true test.

soluslabs said: A VNC client won’t work for that

tell that to linode.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@soluslabs said:
    After being alerted to this thread via numerous support tickets “FYI - The idiot strikes again”

What a nice way to start your response. I am glad I am not a customer of yours.

@soluslabs said:
    sourcing local developers was not an easy task for us in the UK

Really? Thats the excuse your using for a hold up?

Oh wait, I wont get a reply anyway as your only replying to important parts.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • smansman Member
    edited July 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Feels like a rush job to me but would be awesome if it gets fixed and actually works.

Seriously, did the owner of Solus have a affair with your wife? Run over your dog?

If you don't like the software don't use it. You have other options as you love to keep reminding people any chance you can get. Go use that software and live happily ever after.

@sman I am stating my opinions on a public forum that are specific to the topic and presenting my own findings, I really don't get your problem?

Which host do you represent again?

Thanked by 2AlexanderM Pwner
  • wychwych Member

@sman, the die hard solus fan...

soluslabs said: 1) Where does it re-direct? 2)

Redirect to Login page of SolusVM.

Why do you want the Java applet loading automatically?

Java VNC is faster then NoVNC so always go with loaded gun in a war.

edited August 2014

soluslabs said: Why do you want the Java applet loading automatically?

@soluslabs If NoVNC is disabled then why not automatically load java applet?

VNC already show block error and If you will add more buttons like "Java VNC" and then show warning "Do you really want to open java vnc?" then this will cause a problem for clients.

Please fix this problem, If NoVNC is disabled then automatically load java applet.

• I do have to say although i've been with Solus for a short amount of time any issue that arises that I've sent in a ticket for they answered the ticket the next day and released the resulting update within 3 weeks so i'm pretty happy with Solus so far.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@VMNode said:
    I do have to say although i've been with Solus for a short amount of time any issue that arises that I've sent in a ticket for they answered the ticket the next day and released the resulting update within 3 weeks so i'm pretty happy with Solus so far.

Things definitely do seem to be shaping up.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited August 2014

We switched to virtualizor months ago and will never use anything else, solusvm is ok but we like virtualizor much better they are more nice and it really does seem like solusvm are in shock having a competitor who offers a better product and better support at a cheaper price.

Good luck solusvm, i am from UK so i don't want to see you guys fail hope it all goes well, we all know virtualizor has unlimited budgets so i do not know what the future holds for solusvm the once industry standard, now virtualizor is becoming the industry standard like it or not.

• @sz1hosting said:
    We switched to virtualizor months ago and will never use anything else, solusvm is ok but we like virtualizor much better they are more nice and it really does seem like solusvm are in shock having a competitor who offers a better product and better support at a cheaper price.

Good luck solusvm, i am from UK so i don't want to see you guys fail hope it all goes well, we all know virtualizor has unlimited budgets so i do not know what the future holds for solusvm the once industry standard, now virtualizor is becoming the industry standard like it or not.

For me it is a positive thing. Just like XEN needed KVM as competitor to improve, SolusVM also needed a strong competitor like Virtualizor. I am sure SolusVM will become better & try to stay ahead of their competitors.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting

@Jack

Before this update solusvm automatically load java applet.