Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taste new vps/dedicated online board - v.1.0 beta - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Taste new vps/dedicated online board - v.1.0 beta

Comments

• @ginner159 said:
    No I meant have another column which just says who the provider is of that plan

This. 100x.

90% of the time I look at the provider's name first. Specs, price come after that.

If it's some crap like 32mb.club I could instantly skip it, but at the moment I've no other option to click on every offer.

• @MorningIris said:
    can't read anything, all black in Firefox.

I quite agree, the contrast for the information that matters (the server specs.) is horribad.

Thanked by 1serverbox
  • socialssocials Member
    edited September 2014

@askance said:
    I quite agree, the contrast for the information that matters (the server specs.) is horribad.

Oh yes, forgot to mention this. Really hard on the eyes.

Also, no way to sort by a specific column?

@serverbox, take a look at http://frugalboxes.com/vps . Easy on the eyes, all relevant information available, can easily sort, etc. Why should I use yours?

The only thing interesting on your site is the way for providers to easily add plans. But for us, users, there's much better, cleaner alternatives.

• Thanks a lot for your interest.

@socials said:
    90% of the time I look at the provider's name first. Specs, price come after that.

There is hosting company select in search now. I'll think how to push providers name into table. Honestly to say I have no ideas at this moment how to do it more beautiful.

@askance said:

@socials said:
    @serverbox, take a look at http://frugalboxes.com/vps . Easy on the eyes, all relevant information available, can easily sort, etc.

@askance @socials what do you think about this light template ?https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100403694/1.jpg

@socials said:
    Also, no way to sort by a specific column?

Give us little time ) . We'll make this )

@socials said:
    Why should I use yours?

We don't have many companies in database yet, but we' ll try to expand their number.
    Just add Serverbox to bookmarks, maybe it helps you near future )

• Wanted to submit our offers but got:

The connection to serverbox.io was interrupted.

• socialssocials Member
    edited September 2014

@serverbox said:
    There is hosting company select in search now.

No, I don't want to search for a specific host. I could just go to the providers website if I want to know only what they're offering. Instead, I want to scroll through all the offers, maybe sort them by price, and see if something fits me (exactly how frugalboxes (and one other site I can't seem to remember) does this).

what do you think about this light template ?https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100403694/1.jpg

MUCH better. Make this default. Still a bit uneasy on the eye, because you're wasting so much space with every entry. It's hard to follow and compare the specs/prices at the moment.

Thanked by 1serverbox
  • @i83 said:
    Wanted to submit our offers but got:

The connection to serverbox.io was interrupted.

From what location? (country). We use Google Apps Engine

Do you have access now?

@socials said:
    MUCH better. Make this default.

ok. I'll update the template on this weekend.

@socials said:
    No, I don't want to search for a specific host.

I agree, it's not difficult. I just need to think about the place in table for this.

• v.1.3.

1. Template updated (light version)

@askance @socials thanks a lot for your reviews )

@i83 we can make your feed. I asked my friend to contact with you through your ticket system.

@socials said:
    maybe sort them by price,

and by other columns. Planned.

• @serverbox said:
    we can make your feed. I asked my friend to contact with you through your ticket system.

Nobody has been in touch.

• Imho 32mb.club shouldn't be on any list at all

• @TriDoxiuM said:
    Imho 32mb.club shouldn't be on any list at all

They need to be on a flagged list if anything.

• @i83 said:
    Nobody has been in touch.

Sorry. Because of holiday. He touched today. The ticket 874564

@TriDoxiuM said:

What do you mean? )

• @serverbox said:

32mb.club isnt exactly filled with customers with great reviews.

• @wych said:
    32mb.club isnt exactly filled with customers with great reviews.

Ok. I understood.

• serverboxserverbox Member
    edited October 2014

v.1.4.

1. SEO-friendly urls added.

21 hosting companies connected to Serverbox at this moment.
    100% free of charge.

Welcome to us!

• socialssocials Member
    edited October 2014

Still waiting for these changes:

Thanked by 1serverbox
  • @cassa said:
    No! Not XML! :OOOO

Whats wrong with XML? Not saying that JSON is a bad choice but apart from being slightly less verbose it doesnt really have such an advantage.

• alessio said: Whats wrong with XML? Not saying that JSON is a bad choice but apart from being slightly less verbose it doesnt really have such an advantage.

JSON was created for modern languages - any modern programing language can easily serialize to JSON. JSON models the native data structures of every language that I've touched (integers, nulls, doubles, dictionaries, etc. exists in JSON). XML is becoming antiquated. It was developed for the human in mind and not the system. XML is just text - strings - this makes parsing a XML document painful when compared to JSON.

XML is still around because of the amount of time that the industry has put into programing for XML. JSON will replace XML in the future as JSON matures.

• How about a parametric search or a JS query, e.g. "price_usdpm<=5 && ram_mb>=512 && bw_gbpm>=500 && distance_km('paris, fr')<2000". You should normalize fields into common currency and units.

• alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

Silvenga said: JSON was created for modern languages

Sorry, but I really read a lot of marketing buzz out of this. JSON simply forked off of Javascript and I'd also contest the "modern" bit.

Yes, JSON is - as I already wrote - less verbose but thats about it. In that context I'd probably also call it more lightweight. As far as parsing is concerned its not any more or less difficult for developers as nobody is doing this manually anyhow but relies on respective libraries. The actual parsing is not really difficult either. The thing where it gets tricky is when schemas and their validations are involved but this is by no means required and actually an area where JSON "miserably" fails anyhow due to the lack of it (and yes I am aware of the few attempts that were made to change this).

Again, I am not saying JSON is bad (am using it heavily myself) but at the same time I object to this XML-phobia which pretends that JSON is superior in every way .... I only say attributes and comments ....

• @socials said: Still waiting for these changes:

Looks good! I'll try to do this next week.

@loyd said: How about a parametric search

of course. I'll make search by ram, storage, geo, etc.

loyd said: You should normalize fields into common currency

sorry. I don't understand this. Can you give me more info please?

Thanked by 1socials
  • loydloyd Member
    edited October 2014

@serverbox Normalize offers into one currency based on daily exchange rate, the best if selectable. Right now if I search by price 13-15, it finds offers for 14 EUR and also $14.

Also many currencies use $ symbol, you may consider using both - 3 letters + symbol. E.g. €14 EUR, $15 USD.

Thanked by 1serverbox
  • v.1.5.

1. 'Providers name' column added to templates vps and dedicated ( @socials )

2. Rich snippet 'Product schema' inserted into 'more-info' template.

@loyd said:
    serverbox Normalize offers into one currency based on daily exchange rate, the best if selectable. Right now if I search by price 13-15, it finds offers for 14 EUR and also $14.

Also many currencies use $ symbol, you may consider using both - 3 letters + symbol. E.g. €14 EUR, $15 USD.

Not bad idea. But what result you expect?

I can calculate all prices in your favourite currency.

£10 --> $14

€12 --> $13

and show it

$14

$13

$13

$14

$15

Or if you select range $13 - $15 I can calculate this in backend and render

£10

€12

$13

$14

$15

I'll think about this too. Maybe some votes needed for final solutions.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2014

Yea this XML phobia displayed by 'developers' here is unwarranted. XML is very powerful and has its uses, there is no reason he shouldn't use xml for this. Anyone ever heard of a nifty thing called xpath? Probably not - and it's really powerful. Another reason - he already has XML implemented - why in the hell would he need to spend all that time to change it?

• The reason why we chose xml - it has more simple syntax for a wide range of users.

Look at this as usual user.

XML

Just tags and data.

JSON

Commas, colons, quotes, several kind of brackets, nesting levels - this means more errors for usual users, more misunderstanding.

I'm not against json. But I think it's not critical at this moment. I'll add json in future.

• Update. v.1.6.

1. Random selection of 20 plans from db in templates http://www.serverbox.io/vps and http://www.serverbox.io/dedicated implemented ( @Corey )

Before, we selected all plans from db, sorted them by discount and render 20 plans in template.

At this moment we make random select of 20 plans from db, sort this random selection by discount and render in template. Not only provider with discount will show by default, but all providers, because selection changed each time when user get vps or dedicated template.

• Take a look at 32MB Club's listing on serverbox.io/vps I doubt they are offering 2x1GB HDD and 998GB of monthly data traffic for $1.79. Their listing should be removed.

• Thanks for the mention @serverbox, I like it so far.

• Small update.

v.1.7.

1. New currency added: AUD, NZD

On template this is $A and NZ$

• Strange, that feed you made never made it onto the site...