Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why more CPU offered for OpenVZ plans ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why more CPU offered for OpenVZ plans ?

vanarpvanarp Member
edited June 2012 in General

I have observed that vps providers usually offer more vCPU cores for OpenVZ plans than for Xen/KVM. Is there a reason for it?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@vanarp They also offer more RAM on openvz ;)

It's likely due to the type of applications being run on KVM.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@Corey said: @vanarp They also offer more RAM on openvz ;)

It's likely due to the type of applications being run on KVM.

I am aware of memory problems with OpenVZ especially in the case of running mysql (innodb)/java. But, is there CPU problem too?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: It's likely due to the type of applications being run on KVM.

Not always.

KVM just has a lot more overhead. An idle KVM will take anywhere from 1 - 10% CPU just sitting there doing nothing, depending on the distro they install. There's unofficial limits of how many vcpu's you should sell per physical CPU before you're into sketchy times.

KVM allows overselling your RAM if you know how but you'll hit other walls that you can't use tricks around

Francisco

• vanarpvanarp Member

@Francisco said: KVM allows overselling your RAM if you know how but you'll hit other walls that you can't use tricks around

Are you suggesting that it is because of overselling possibility that OpenVZ plans have more CPU/RAM than Xen/KVM?

• Openvz simply has less CPU overhead.

@vanarp said: Are you suggesting that it is because of overselling possibility that OpenVZ plans have more CPU/RAM than Xen/KVM?

For OVZ of course. XEN supports ballooning but a customer can spot easily if they're being oversold. OVZ you can hide behind it and the OS will do its best to get you the RAM you're promised, even if it has to push the vast majority to the disk :)

It takes almost no CPU to run 100 openvz's idle doing nothing. You can't say the same for KVM or XEN since they crap out before that.

Francisco

• bretonbreton Member

@vanarp said: I have observed that vps providers usually offer more vCPU cores for OpenVZ plans than for Xen/KVM. Is there a reason for it?

/me looking at my InceptionHosting 8-cores Xen box.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • yomeroyomero Member

@Francisco

Xen PV uses cpu when idle too?

@yomero said: Xen PV uses cpu when idle too?

Yep? The guests kernel is still ticking, crons are firing, etc.

Francisco

• yomeroyomero Member

@Francisco said: The guests kernel is still ticking

This =/

@Francisco said: crons are firing

This happens everywhere lol