Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new VPS host for my torrent seedbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a new VPS host for my torrent seedbox

Well I had for months my Seedbox located at IXAM hosting and was in general satisfied, but end of May they had issues with the hoster and moved to a new location. The problem is that they never sent me the new login details and refunded my money a day ago.

I look for a new cheap hoster to seed custom torrent files so they are 24/7 available, even 5Mbit upload is sufficient. I do need at least 30-40GB of HDD space though.

What do you recommend?

Comments

• lol

• GVH

• cassacassa Member

@darkshire said:
    lol

Fiverr :D

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • CroggeCrogge Member

@darkshire said:
    lol
    (Video)

Well, I opened my ticket @ 01/06/2014 19:49 and got my refund and a proper reply after opening a Paypal case @ 26/07/2014 12:21 :p

But please stay on topic, don't make it a troll IXAM thread.

• CroggeCrogge Member
    edited July 2014

@hostnoob said:
    GVH

That means?

• @Crogge said:
    That means?

GreenValueHost

Thanked by 1Crogge
  • CroggeCrogge Member

@hostnoob said:
    GreenValueHost

Nice I didnt know they allow torrent :o

• wychwych Member

Kimsufi.

• @Crogge said:

I've been using mine for torrents for about 7 months and had no problems. I know you said 24/7 availability, but will you be uploading 24/7 or just want it available for when someone downloads?

I don't have stuff uploading 24/7, so I'm not sure how happy they would be about that though

• Kimsufi. For sure is the best for you, and they have servers with huge disks.

• CroggeCrogge Member
    edited July 2014

Kimsufi is too expensive, at least the bigger ones, the small ones are never really available :( I got a few servers at OVH currently but I can't risk to get them suspended for torrent usage.

Ok Hostnoob I will give it a try, nah it won't be uploading 24/7 just on demand when people download any torrent.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Crogge use Legal Torrents is okay as they told me, same with 3-5TB Traffic.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

GreenValueHost, and remember to seed!

Thanked by 2Crogge ihatetonyy
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Crogge said: Kimsufi is too expensive,

If Kumsufi is too expensive, then you can't afford a seedbox. Sorry, simple as that. You can get a decent Kimsufi for 5-10 EUR per month and that's as cheap as you're going to find.

Most people who want real seedboxes with bigger pipes, etc. pay more.

Not to be a shill, but justseed.it is another alternative - pay by the bandwidth. I use and recommend them.

You could always ask on a torrent-focused forum - e.g., kickass.to

linuxthefish said: remember to seed!

• Try http://justseed.it and skip the vps.

Thanked by 2Crogge noyle
  • CroggeCrogge Member

Raindog I don't mind to pay a few bucks for a KS but as I said above they are basically never available, don't mind to take over a KS if anyone got one left.

So far GreenValueHost and ZionVPS have been suggested, guess I will give both a try. Any other suggestions or are these two the only options for a Seedbox?

Justseed looks interesting, is it fully trustable?

• yywudiyywudi Member

vpsdime high storage vps looks good if you only use private torrent

Thanked by 1Crogge
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2014

You want a seedbox but you don't want to pay more? Do you think VPS providers like to see DMCA notice? Do you think those people who run Seedbox company are trustable? Why do you use Seedbox in the first place? Why did IXAM have issues with the hoster? Because people use it for Seedbox. No matter what VPS provider you use. If you use it for Seedbox, be ready to change provider.

• CroggeCrogge Member

Well Chuck I think its fair enough If I invest time and money into seeding so people can access content 24/7 properly.

I don't seed illegal copies of movies or music so it is very unlikely that the hoster will get any trouble.

• ATHKATHK Member

Just go with GVH they allow torrents and don't give a shite about DMCA.

Thanked by 1Crogge
  • zevuszevus Member
    edited July 2014

What's wrong with kimsufi's i3-2130 for 15 euro? Surely that's not "too expensive"...

There's this for 10 euros;

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-scg2

Or this for 4.99 euro if you prepay for a while (6.24 if you dont?):

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/55

lol, ed for last time i think;

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/53

is probably better. 30 gb is too small, probably have to give up ssd for the 250gb sata

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2014
    • buyvm or vultr if legal torrents
    • vpsdime storage if private torrents
    • kimsufi or online-net if other torrents
  • ankittulsianankittulsian Member
    edited July 2014

I'm using oneprovider for my seedbox. I also share it with two of my friends. They use it fully. I use it as plex,softether and seedbox.

Monthly: 29€.
    Bandwidth: 15-20TB

Specs: Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz + IPMI
    2x 1TB HW RAID 1 8GB 1Gbps.

• swi7chswi7ch Member
    edited July 2014

@Crogge said:
    Kimsufi is too expensive, at least the bigger ones, the small ones are never really available :(

Use http://kimi.nwwebsites.co.uk/

• swi7chswi7ch Member
    edited July 2014

@raindog308 said:
    Not to be a shill, but justseed.it is another alternative

@joereid said:
    Try http://justseed.it and skip the vps.

@Crogge said:
    Justseed looks interesting, is it fully trustable?

JustSeed.it uses shared HDD (which is the reason they can afford to offer unlimited disk space). Dozens of times, I've "downloaded" (notice the quotation marks) 25GB+ torrents in like under 10s. Yes, under 10 seconds. My conclusion for this is someone has already downloaded the same torrent on their HDD which is why went I queued it up on their server, it was immediately transferred/copied to mine almost instantly.

If you don't mind sharing HDDs, then yes they are a great option.

Forgot to add - they delete any torrent without any activity in 7 days.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Crogge said:
    Well I had for months my Seedbox located at IXAM hosting and was in general satisfied, but end of May they had issues with the hoster and moved to a new location. The problem is that they never sent me the new login details and refunded my money a day ago.

I look for a new cheap hoster to seed custom torrent files so they are 24/7 available, even 5Mbit upload is sufficient. I do need at least 30-40GB of HDD space though.

What do you recommend?

I can offer you a slot on my seed box. For a trial account PM me. You can test it for 24 hours.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

swi7ch said: JustSeed.it uses shared HDD (which is the reason they can afford to offer unlimited disk space). Dozens of times, I've "downloaded" (notice the quotation marks) 25GB+ torrents in like under 10s. Yes, under 10 seconds. My conclusion for this is someone has already downloaded the same torrent on their HDD which is why went I queued it up on their server, it was immediately transferred/copied to mine almost instantly.

If you don't mind sharing HDDs, then yes they are a great option.

There's really no disadvantage of "sharing HDDs" in this case, though, is there? Since I'm not directly managing the torrent software, making sure there is sufficient space and adequate I/O is up to them.

BTW, I've seen very fast speeds as well. I never checked though: if you queue some 20GB file and it downloads in seconds because it was already on disk, are you charged the full 20GB of bandwidth?

I'm sure there's also a bit of time saving by having inter-JSI torrents (i.e., they have many seedboxes and they probably peer each other over the LAN). Or maybe all their nodes use one giant disk farm, though that sounds a bit overly sophisticated.