Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backups: flat fee or per GB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backups: flat fee or per GB?

For integrated backups, would you rather pay a flat fee for a set schedule or per GB for backups on your own schedule and why?

Which would you prefer: flat fee or per GB pricing for backups?
  1. Which would you prefer: flat fee or per GB pricing for backups?47 votes
    1. Per GB
      57.45%
    2. Flat Fee
      42.55%

Comments

• Per GB, means that people who don't use the system for storing much don't have to pay for those who do! Also will remind people to delete useless stuff on their servers :)

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Whichever would be more affordable for me as a customer. Per GB sounds like costlier to me but if it could be made affordable, you'd be the ultimate resource saver.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Per GB, means that people who don't use the system for storing much don't have to pay for those who do! Also will remind people to delete useless stuff on their servers :)

Right, but then the problem becomes justifying the cost of a backup server.

@srvrpro said:
    Whichever would be more affordable for me as a customer. Per GB sounds like costlier to me but if it could be made affordable, you'd be the ultimate resource saver.

Hmm, maybe we can do a mix. Flat fee for bigger clients and per GB for smaller ones.

• Per GB, I would only use 1GB most likely and wouldn't be happy about having to pay for say 10+GB if I didn't need it

• @hostnoob said:
    Per GB, I would only use 1GB most likely and wouldn't be happy about having to pay for say 10+GB if I didn't need it

Yeah, I'm thinking it might make sense to just do per GB and call it a day. Maybe do something like $0.50 per GB for your first GB and then get cheaper, the more you use.

• Flat Fee

• sharuusharuu Member

Per GB, something like S3.

• Per GB, would more affordable, I only use 1-2GB of space, so paying more and use less, would making not paying and making just a backup on my one with Dropbox.

• D4X69D4X69 Member

Per GB - My backups take up like 2% of the "average" backup space lol

• Per GB!

• The Per GBers seem to be more vocal, but you're all pretty split!

• I believe a lot of people just want small storage for backup which per GB makes sense and others with flat fee want tons of space, just my thinking.

• Maybe per GB up until a certain amount?

EG: Up until XYZ GB you pay per GB, then anything after that is a flat fee?

• srvrprosrvrpro Member
    edited July 2014

Steven_F said: $0.50 per GB for your first GB and then get cheaper

How cheaper? If you're in the low end market, your probable competition would be Backupsy which offers 500GB for $20. Comes down to around $0.04 per GB.

Edit: Just noticed that you're talking about integrated backups.

• DylanDylan Member

This is an impossible question to answer without knowing the price for each option.

• blackblack Member

$0.02 / GB or lower please.