Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPF / DKIM records for addon domains in Cpanel help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SPF / DKIM records for addon domains in Cpanel help

blackblack Member
edited July 2014 in Help

With microsoft killing the free custom domain email hosting (yes, that happened awhile ago), I decided to buy a shared cpanel hosting account just to handle emails for my domains. I can send and receive, however, it's being marked as spam. I see there's a email auth option in Cpanel, that gives you SPF / DKIM info but I'm not sure if I've set that up correctly. Does anyone have experience with this and/or tutorial on how to set it up for add-on domains?

Thanks.

EDIT: Something else weird also happens. I'm sending from an add on domain but the mail headers (according to google) says it's from the domain I signed up with (my primary cpanel domain).

Return-Path: < [email protected] >
Received: from primarydomain.com ([cpanel IP ])

Comments

• Is your domain using your host's nameservers or are you using something like cloudflare? Normally you just go to Email Authentication in cPanel and enable DKIM, SPF and click the Update button on the bottom.

Do you have a dedicated IP for your shared account? It might be a good idea to get one and have it set to the rdns for domain you email from the most. No clue about the 2nd issue though...

• blackblack Member

@linuxthefish

I do have a dedicated IP for my account. $5/year BuyVM shared :)

I'm using cloudflare for DNS, only mail.addondomain.com is pointing to the cpanel server (not going through the cloudflare proxy). I've added SPF records to addondomain.com, mail.addondomain.com and 2 TXT records for addondomain.com & mail.addondomain.com (v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MI....blahblahblah).

• wychwych Member

When I last used CF on cPanel I just copied what was under the advanced DNS editor, mind you its been a while.

• Yes, you should be able to just copy what is in advanced DNS editor to cloudflare TXT record. Ask buyvm about getting rdns set though, it will help a lot.

• blackblack Member

wych said: When I last used CF on cPanel I just copied what was under the advanced DNS editor, mind you its been a while.

So if I want email I have to move my sites off of cloudflare and use cPanel DNS?

• wychwych Member

@black said:
    So if I want email I have to move my sites off of cloudflare and use cPanel DNS?

No just replicate the records shown in cPanel in Cloudflare. rDNS does help as previously said.

• blackblack Member

@wych said:
    No just replicate the records shown in cPanel in Cloudflare. rDNS does help as previously said.

Thanks, copy and pasting was a lot easier than just guessing. SPF did pass :)

DKIM didn't, I added the nameservers of my cpanel host at the bottom (but cloudflare DNS servers are at the top, so now I have 4 nameservers). Going to let that get propagated and do another DKIM test later today.

In the email headers, I'm still getting

Return-Path: < [email protected] >
    Received: from primarydomain.com ([cpanel IP ]) 

It should say

Received: from addonDomain.com ([cpanel IP ]) 

I'm not sure why cPanel forces it to display the primary domain when I'm sending emails from my addonDomain.