Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6

13»

Comments

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

yomero said: Ok, tried Safari, and I am... confused.

The good, despite using Webkit, uses less ram with my 3 tabs, around 220MB. The bad, it gets stuck using a lot of CPU and my 3 sites load in a lot of time. This crappy Atom can't run it smoothly like the other browsers. But strangely the UI is smooth o_O
    So, Safari isn't for me, I guess. The winner at this moment is Opera. What do you think about trying an old version of Opera?

I was going to say it :X Safari is somehow heavy on CPU.

Opera is relatively light weight for all resources. But I don't recommend a too old version, since it will get countless mess in displaying elements in webpages, also Youtube and most websites won't display correctly.

I don't know how much resource will differ since the outdated version I have. But I seem to be going very soon to get the latest release and see how things goes, I will probably go back to depending on it as my main browser as I did for years, untill near 2009. btw, it seems I recommended you with dozens of browsers :P

• Daniel said: You could always try Lynx.

Isn't funny...

• circuscircus Member
    edited October 2011

yomero said: The winner at this moment is Opera. What do you think about trying an old version of Opera?

Instead of that what about opera but without mail/irc/rss:

opera -nomail

and disabling Automatic RAM Cache in about:config.

• The Automatic RAM Cache can be disabled from settings :P
    Also, tried the nomail flag, and didn't gained any extra memory u_u

• kylixkylix Member
    edited October 2011

The Browser I've currently fallen in love with: http://www.uzbl.org/ Or you could also try Midori. Also very nice, I'm using that one on my Netbook.

• I tried midori long time ago, I don't remember how it feels.

And that uzbl seems that is for Linux users. At this moment using the netbook with XP

• No worry, real nix people loves to use really weird and kinda unique stuff, aren't they? :-)

• yomero said: And that uzbl seems that is for Linux users. At this moment using the netbook with XP

Best thing about XP, it has the largest marketplace of virus's :)

I may compile Uzbl on OS X later.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited October 2011

I wonder if I can find a copy of the original 3MB Firefox browser. Chrome and Firefox easily use 1GB of my 2GB's of desktop RAM.

Daniel said: Best thing about XP, it has the largest marketplace of virus's...

...and drivers, games, and general software. :)

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

I just find version 2 off of their site even though it's a version 1 link that I'm following:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

edit: And I guess it;s just an update. I can't get into the menus as the site is timing out and the "You have an older version of Firefox" banner is locked over 60% of my screen and I can't get rid of it.

• Xeoncross said: I wonder if I can find a copy of the original 3MB Firefox browser. Chrome and Firefox easily use 1GB of my 2GB's of desktop RAM.

Have a look at some of the older versions (looking at it is all I offer with no fee :p) inside of my pc:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2yxht8g.gif

It may be funny that most versions seen here, were not used for long, or not tried at all. What took me away from IE forever, was Opera.

• Xeoncross said: I wonder if I can find a copy of the original 3MB Firefox browser

Down to Ver. 0.8: http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

Nice find ;) It's for Yomero is like, from v3 and up it doesn't support quote in here, and at the same time following versions are heavier on Netbook. Versions older than v3 may as well not support the quote, and even more stuff.

• And I am not using antivirus, what's the problem?

• @yomero

You know, what is so weird, as I look at Wikipedia, and other sources, Firefox 7 reduces memory usage by (up to) 50%.
    I have one of the old netbooks (when they just came out) with an Intel Atom 1.60Ghz + 1GB RAM + 8GB SSD. (Acer) Google Chrome on Debian 6 works really good on it (Chromium) - Have you tried the open source chromium? Jw.

3 Tabs - 285MB (Static Tabs) CPU clocked at about 60%, spikes to 90 at times (when loading usually) + still have about 400MB free on RAM.

Debian Minimum is also a great Memory saver :P

• @Blackstorm72

I have an Acer one too, but with 1.5GB. Thanks man, I will take a look at that Firefox.

As you said, 3 tabs = 285MB is A LOT OF WASTED RAM. The problem here is, that I am not browsing only, sometimes I am doing developing tasks, listening music and opening Puttys like hell xD.
    About the OS, yes, I have a Debian here too (and an OSX inclusive), but for me is more comfortable to work in a Windows environment.

• Firefox.exe: 381MB of RAM (15 Tabs Open)

hl2.exe (Source Game): 151MB of RAM

y u use so much memory memoryfox?